Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where are we all from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttmac

Technical User
Aug 16, 2002
IE
In the same vein as CajunCenturions post "What does your handle mean?" Where are you based?

Having read TSDragons post "What is the difference?" it struck me that we dont always realise where the person that is helping us is from. We often forget that the helper is asleep when we are posting our questions.

I know that in the past I have received more assistance from complete strangers from all over the world (and often from places I have never even heard of) than I have from people that I work with on a daily basis and who sit beside me.

For what its worth, I'm from Wicklow, which is 30 miles south of Dublin, Ireland.

Just started reading this post and it brings back memories. 50 miles nw of Chicago, but I've been to Ramstien, and loved it. Especially the [cheers]. I also love the River Walk in San Antonio.
As for the list,
Rockford, IL
Tacoma, WA
San Antonio, TX
Acshafunburg, Germany
Rockford, IL
Tampa, FL
Phoenix, AZ
Rockford, IL
Clearwater, FL
Phoenix, AZ
Rockford, IL
Next stop will be back to FL for good.
Gave up IT full time to go back into retail. Still work IT as a side with my own consulting company, but don't have to worry about anything like Dave's schedule. Once I got my wireless network going, I sit outside by my pond and surf the net with my laptop and NO wires. Love it. Once I'm in Fl, I'll be surfing the net outside at least 11 months out of the year. Jsteph, Naperville, huh. I don't see you listed in my little group, TT in Chicago, IL.

Glen A. Johnson
"Trust time, for it tends to provide sweet ways out when facing bitter difficulties"
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (1547-1616), Spanish writer
Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

I live in Fairfax Virgina, commute 20 miles to Washington DC to work (1 hour drive).

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very very low crime rate." -- M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC

pc.gif

Jomama

I used to live in DOWNTOWN DC. Not one of the "good" areas either. I never did like Barry. The only thing he ever said that I believed was: "I may not be perfect, but I'm perfect for this city." Unfortunately, that's pretty much true, but it says more about the city than it does about Barry. Surprisingly, to me, the older black people in DC didn't like Barry very much either. In fact, they didn't like him at all! The elderly lady who watched my daughter after school (a real character, and a neat person) said she didn't trust him as far as she could throw her house.

All in all, I hated Washington, DC. Too many politicians, bureaucrats and drug dealers, and not enough real people. I ended up working in Maryland, so I still had a 1/2 hour commute.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Hi all,

I'm another Nottingham-ite, this time West Bridgford. The complete list:

Clifton, Nottingham (UK)
Chilwell, Nottingham (UK)
Bracht, Germany
Bicester, Oxford (UK)
Paderborn, Germany
Osnabruck, Germany
Devizes, Wiltshire (UK)
Telford, Shropshire (UK)
Chilwell, Nottingham (UK)
Clifton, Nottingham (UK)
Gedling, Nottingham (UK)
West Bridgford, Nottingham (UK)

To explain, my Dad was in the British Armed Forces, hence the shuttle between UK and Germany until I was 15 (Devizes). Don't know if I'll ever put down any 'tap root', but I feel more settled in Nottingham than I have anywhere else (wonder if the wife and four children have anything to do with this?!)

ps: Any German nationals out there, please forgive the lack of accents.

Tony

I'm from Gilbertsville, PA, about 1 hour northeast of Philadelphia. My commute is 6 minutes to travel 4.2 miles.

Originally, I am from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Lancaster county has some interesting town names, several of which were already mentioned. There's Blue Ball, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, and Mount Joy. In neighboring Berks County, you will find a Virginville. In Lancaster County, you will also find Hempfield and Smoke Town.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Ummm, I meant North West of Philadelphia, in Montgomery County.

-George

George,

It's okay...we just all thought that Pennsylvania had invaded New Jersey and annexed South Central Jersey. I'm sure Jersey would have been glad to hand over Camden to you without a fight...In fact, they probably would be glad to pay you to take Camden off their hands. [wink]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

Thanks Santa. It's ironic because I am working on a mapping application. I literally stare at maps most of the day. You'd think by now I'd know my east from my west.

-George

George - my only connection to Gilbertsville is Zern's Market. My parents would drag me out there every couple weeks and we would review all of the same old junk in search of the one or two pearls that may have been available. Mostly we came home with fresh roasted nuts and a bag of Groff's kettle-cooked chips (crisps for those on the other side).

~Thadeus

Yes, SantaMufasa, except when the system all goes south.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

CC said:
...system all goes south.
emphasis added

Wonder where THAT originated? Sound like it might have been a Yankee pejorative.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]When Viscounts were guillotined just as they were disclosing where their jewels were hidden, it shows to go that you should...
Never hatchet your Counts before they chicken! [tongue][/sub]

Thadeus - I am relatively new to Gilbertsville. I live about 3 miles from Zern's. I've been there twice, but for the life of me, couldn't tell what makes it so special. Both times, I didn't bother to buy anything. I did look pretty hard at the spices, though. I was looking for Mastic Gum. My grandmother has a great recipe for Greek Spice Bread, which calls for this ingredient.

Santa, Skip, and CajunCenturion - Since you appear to be having some fun at my expense, I'd like to help you out a little. I once mixed up latitude and longitude. My Pennsylvania customers couldn't understand why their parks, rivers and railroads all appeared in the eastern part of Africa.

-George

gmmastros - Sounds like, at least for a short time, you were un-coordinated.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

SkipVought - As with many phrases, exact etymologies are un-clear, but one school of thought is that 'down south' originally was "to disappear" with its original reference to migratory birds. It then become a euphemism for criminals who fled 'down south' to Mexico and/or South American to avoid legal prosecution.

Good Luck
--------------

UniqueFD - just seen your post - West Bridgford was where I moved FROM last July - was living just off Wilford Lane (Trent Bridge end)

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Geoff - you'll know where I live, then: Melton Road, past the shops & garage (from your old house), before the speed limit changes.

Tony

Indeed I do - the Mrs' parents used to live just round the corner from you !!

It's really quite a coincidence, the number of people that I've met here (TT) who either live close to where I currently (or used to) live or who work for a company I used to work for...or even, who used to go to the same nightclubs that I did !!!

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

From Edinburgh...currently in Nuneaton/Atherstone contracting for the next wee while...

Have to see about that pint soon Geoff!

Cheers,
Dave

Probably the only Test Analyst on Tek-Tips

animadverto vos in Abyssus!

Take a look at Forum1393 & sign up if you'd like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back