Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where are we all from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttmac

Technical User
Aug 16, 2002
IE
In the same vein as CajunCenturions post "What does your handle mean?" Where are you based?

Having read TSDragons post "What is the difference?" it struck me that we dont always realise where the person that is helping us is from. We often forget that the helper is asleep when we are posting our questions.

I know that in the past I have received more assistance from complete strangers from all over the world (and often from places I have never even heard of) than I have from people that I work with on a daily basis and who sit beside me.

For what its worth, I'm from Wicklow, which is 30 miles south of Dublin, Ireland.

Please, let's continue this in the Welcome to Making an Impression (thread1256-1051474).

Thank you.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

DALLAS TEXAS, My name it means I like routers and I am known as the kid around the office IM 24 and look 16 =)

Northern Virginia... 20 miles from DC

S. Mike Harris

"If there we 90 seconds in a minute, I might get everything done in a day" - S. M. Harris

Sounds like you're near Woodbridge. I lived there many years ago.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

I lived for my first 18 years in Bangor, North Wales and left without a Welsh accent.

I moved to Bratfud, in God's wonderful county! It is alleged that Bradford, at one point, had more millionaires than the rest of the world. However the worldwide textile market has altered radically since then and so the wool trade is a vestige of its former glory.

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Linz, Austria just south of germany.
To and from work, like 5 minutes by car just through the city area.
Day start 7am (work 8am) till work end 5pm (friday 2pm).
Job is IT-Security Consultant and Project management.

Getting in very late:

Concord, New Hampshire (another of the 13, plus a "New")
Salisbury, New Hampshire
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Tulsa, Oklahoma

CC:
Your post using "south" and your etymological discussion seem to be referring to two different idioms. "Heading south", meaning to go into hiding (esp in Mexico), likely does have the etymology you related.

"Going south", your original reference, as in "Things started out poorly, and went south from there" probably has a different origin. It's often used in the same way as, pardon my asterisk, "going to sh*t". Perhaps it started as a euphemism for that phrase, considering the matching initial consonant and the general perception of "south" as "down".

Just a theory, of course. :)

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

The tie comes from the effect of going south.

Captain to Investigator: How is your case coming?
Investigator: The suspect went south.
Captain: I see. So it's over, done with, nothing else you can do.
Investigator: Yep, it all went south.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I ask again for ease of maintaining the FAQ,

Please lets continue with the introductions content in the thread:
Welcome to Making an Impression (Thread1256-1051474)

Thank you.

Good Luck
--------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back