Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where are we all from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttmac

Technical User
Aug 16, 2002
IE
In the same vein as CajunCenturions post "What does your handle mean?" Where are you based?

Having read TSDragons post "What is the difference?" it struck me that we dont always realise where the person that is helping us is from. We often forget that the helper is asleep when we are posting our questions.

I know that in the past I have received more assistance from complete strangers from all over the world (and often from places I have never even heard of) than I have from people that I work with on a daily basis and who sit beside me.

For what its worth, I'm from Wicklow, which is 30 miles south of Dublin, Ireland.

Just as a little fun I would note that I live very near Reading, Pennsylvania(PA) which is in Berks County.

I grew up in Warminster and Southampton, PA and now live one town over from North Wales in Montgomery County. Every day I drive to Malvern in Chester County.

I haven't listed the half of them, but does anyone know why I point them out?

~Thadeus

Would the UK references be too obvious?

Rosie
"Never express yourself more clearly than you think" (Niels Bohr)

US place names fall, broadly, into four categories

1) Named after the origin or the first European settlers, often with 'New' prefixed.

2) Names reflecting the relegious aspiratons of the first European settlers

3) Names derived from the aboriginal names.

4) Named after the local church (San Something - mainly in the south west).

As an aside, I wonder what we would all be called if we had to re-invent family names the way the European settlers in the US had to reinvent place names.

Columb Healy

I'm guessing that "Truth or Consequences, New Mexico" and "Tombstone, Arizona" fall into Category 2 "Names reflecting the relegious aspiratons of the first European settlers", right?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

nope:

[history of T or C]
Truth or Consequences, population about 7500, is located on Interstate Highway 25 in the Rio Grande valley some 150 miles south of Albuquerque and 75 miles north of Las Cruces. Originally, the location was called Palomas Springs or Las Palomas after the palomas (doves) which frequented the cottonwood trees along the river. In 1914, the name, marked by the local post office, was changed to Hot Springs. (A village a few miles south is still called Las Palomas.)

By the 1940’s, the name of the community was about to change again, a response this time to a publicity stunt by Ralph Edwards, the host of the popular long-running radio show called Truth or Consequences. Edwards had offered nationwide publicity to any city that would change its name to "Truth or Consequences." In a vote in 1950, a majority of the citizens of Hot Springs elected to answer Edwards’ challenge, overriding the protests of some residents. In another vote, in 1964, an even larger majority chose to keep the name.
[/history]

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Talking about place names, in the Pennsylvania Dutch, Lancaster County area of South Eastern Pennsylvania, you can to go thru Intercourse to get to Paradise, which is about 8 miles SSE of Intercourse.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]When Viscounts were guillotined just as they were disclosing where their jewels were hidden, it shows to go that you should...
Never hatchet your Counts before they chicken! [tongue][/sub]

Is there some other way to get to Paradise besides Intercourse?

[rofl2]

Les

No, but you could get stuck in Blue Ball, PA which is 13 miles from Paradise.

BTW, Blue Ball is closer to Intercourse than it is to Paradise... and rightly so I believe.

~Thadeus

Blueballs, also in that area!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]When Viscounts were guillotined just as they were disclosing where their jewels were hidden, it shows to go that you should...
Never hatchet your Counts before they chicken! [tongue][/sub]

Thadeus - is William Penn the common connection to the towns and counties that you mentioned in your post?

Susan
"'I wish life was not so short,' he thought. 'Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about.'"
- J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lost Road

Naperville, Illinois checking in.
It's Chicago's largest suburb, and a nice place to live except for the traffic.
--Jim

Would you believe Boca Raton?

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

26 years Philadelphia, PA
5 years Phoenix, AZ
9 months Wilmington, NC
9 months (and permanently...hopefully) Tampa, FL

stinsman

Naas, Co Kildare, Ireland

Bed to office 5mins (with coffee)
--Paul

cigless ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search