Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What about R10 ? 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

hibroth

Technical User
Oct 27, 2005
IT
Does anyone know when is planned R10?

The Mitel Mivoice office 250 (previously 5000 which was less of a mouthfull) is quite a good system, while not as flexible as the IPO it is great for remote workers (no special licencing or hardware) and the built in VM is better than IPO, it just doesn't scale as well and the programming is a bit odd at times :)

I hate the SL1100 too because the programming is so nasty. 3 points to program for 1 simple change is not my thing but it is out of my hands if Avaya keeps f@#$%*ing with us as a BP their days are numbered.

I would love to get back into the Alcatel or Siemens stuff even though it would be a complete new world after 17 years. But Siemens would have the advantage that I can read their manuals in the original language in case their translation is off. Mitel would be definitely an option but again out of my hands. The mighty $ rules the business world not the techs that tell management what is good and efficient.
Buy low sell high is what makes that decision and Avaya has gone from buy a bit more than low and sell with minimal margin (thanks to Avaya's supply to all the grey market dealers) to buying lots of licenses to make all the things work that came in the beginning along for free (upgrades, SCN, embedded VM, phone manager....)
No sense in complaining, they will learn when they are going the route of a Nortel and then someone else will come along and buy THEM out. Hope that I will be on a different product by then and can sit back and smile. Hopefully on the manufacturer that buys them out and then making long noses at the Avaya marketing department.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

I doubt that you will find German docs from Siemens ;-)

Siemens Enterprise Communications became an independent company named Unify. The last months Atos planned to buy Unify. I'm not sure if the deal is already fix. But we will see what happens the next months and how they will position themselves in the market.

damn, they should have to give up the name Siemens then :)
Maybe Du-mens instead (sorry German joke)

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"

I've worked with Siemens on a large project, I can tell you 2 things....

1) Their products are so fragmented and complicated their top engineers do not know how to do anything without calling for support or following a flow chart, even for simple tasks.

2) if you could go from A to B in 1 step Siemens will do 5 and at no point can you understand why. I guess that feeds point 1 :)

That sounds like calling Avaya pre-sales support :)
Customer wants to do , blablabla

Answer: hmmm we don't know, try it out and let us know if it works.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

@Westi
I can't say that about German presalers.

I think I need to call them then

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

Will do, thanks

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

@ Avantiwade> Why not HOST the Licenses? We could use the product INSIDE our premises and pay for more VMPro Ports and Advanced features monthly :) Avaya resellers could offer the equipments for lower prices and invest in their Advanced Features Lics. After all, Avaya is and will always be THE BEST IN THE WORLD OF IT!

I've been working with the Avaya/IP Office for over 10 years and things getting worse with every release of software which now make me seriously look at other systems.

To start with the UC application are a joke, which each one being different/confusing and no free version (which other manufacture have)

Integration with 3rd party database is now less then it was phone manager pro!

Contact Centre are ridiculously complicated to even install let alone setup!

Documentation is a joke, there are so many errors in them!

Lastly I've have all the accreditation (some which we have to pay for the exam!) and now in V10 we have to have IPOSS!
And for what? I've used IPOSS and not only do I know more then Avaya support, they just ask for logs files or work around issues and take weeks to reply!
It would be nice if they just try replicating the issue based on what has been reported rather then waste my time.

Time to move on I think......

One thought I had is what will the IPOSS requirement do to the gray market sellers? One of the things that make it hard to sell the IPO is that anyone can Google it and find the prices from all the gray marketers. They then buy direct from them and try to find an installer. Or does Avaya plan on selling IPOSS to gray marketers as well?

Too many non sense decision:

IPOSS Mandatory does not allow the disty to provide any support to the partners
Even though the distry is informed about a system bug it is not allowed to raise anything because no IPOSS

IPOSS required to share the Field Trials: the trialers should pay to do the Avaya job (!!!!!!), this made the FT weak

EMPTY R10: no news, no multi-tenancy, no useful features

Seems they would leave the market...

pmcook
I think your point about gray market and IPOSS is the only one that I see positive IF that eliminates the resellers but we all know that Avaya is selling to anyone with a big pocket book. They don't care about their business partners as long as they can make a buck.

I bet that Avaya also wants the customer information for every sale we make (as they already do but you can circumvent it) and then sooner or later they approach the customer themselves when they notice that they have problems and want to increase their margins. I see bad times with Avaya coming up. Other manufacturers look a lot more interesting and are gaining ground.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

Do you really think the gray market can be stopped by having IPOSS mandatory? Then tell me where the gray market gets licenses from? If they get these licenses they will be able to get IPOSS as well.

The Caine (Avaya) Mutiny - Capatin Queeg from Avaya - "They (Partners) fought me at every turn. If they want to walk around with their shirtails out, let them, that's fine, take the towline incident, defective equipment - no more no less (IP500v2). They encourage the crew to scoughing me, and spreading nasty rumors on Tek-Tips...(said whilst Avaya support techs roll huge ball bearings in hand). As if steaming in circles (R6, R7, R8, R9, R10) was for me to be blamed. All the while there was a spare key (XML FIle) to open the freezer and get the Strawberries (IPOSS)...."

Reference-
Yeah it's mutiny time alright !!

"Never fear billing a client for services rendered, or they will think your time is worthless"

Think may be possible that since you need a Basic User license for every single User that multi-tenancy is in the plans? It doesn't make sense that you would have to take account for all and any future phantom users your Customer may have...just sounds STUPID for IP Office with how it's been known to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back