Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What about R10 ? 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

hibroth

Technical User
Oct 27, 2005
IT
Does anyone know when is planned R10?

On server edition yes, but that's because it server edition not because it's 9.1, we aren't specifically talking about server edition :)

Not to debate your statement amriddle but on 9.1 you are not allowed to raise issues to the support (IP500v2) if you didn't pay the IPOSS, for sure.

That's always been the case, at least in the UK (no support contract no escalations). By mandatory I mean they will not sell you a system without selling you IPOSS, not just the ability to raise a case should you have an issue, no IPOSS no sale :)

To put it another way, we've sold and installed IP Office for years and we've never, not once sold IPOSS as it has no value to our customers :)

I sure hope this ios not all to look forward to in 10.0. But this is a classic MBA textbook example of how businesses are run. When you have two competing products you knee cap the popular but less profitable product assuming everyone will just by the mope expensive product because of the brand name. Its a mistake that has been made countless times. Avaya wants to be another Cisco. HP did the same thing as did the major car companies. And it cost them dearly.

IPOSS is not yet mandatory for 9.1. Not for IP500 and not for server edition.

There's not much else, unless you think voice monitoring, direct media changes, a reduction in reboot changes and SIP trunk simplification is ground breaking stuff, there are no real core feature enhancements to speak of :)

LDAP Integration for IPO users and security access is a feature many of our customers ask for.

Let's wait how free of charge these basic users are if IPOSS will be mandatory and charged based on the number of users...

I can tell you what's highly likely to happen, once you can't sell an IP Office on R9/9.1 and so are forced to sell IPOSS and licence users, that is the day we stop selling IP Office, as will I imagine many other companies who value their customers and want them to get good value :)

I think it will be harder and harder to beat the price of other systems.

That's already pretty much impossible unless you are up against an over specced competitors system. We just have to match it (by making little profit) and win by offering better line rates and customer service :)

Derfloh, IPOSS is not mandatory to buy IP Office but it is to raise tickets !

I know. But there is no difference between server edition and IP500.

In R10 not only no support but even no licenses without a IPOSS contract.
So like it or not, each new system on R10 or higher needs a SOLD TO number and you only get that if you also bought a IPOSS contract for at least one single year.
On CM that is common daily business....

Fair enough, just means Avaya's unofficial crutch of us supporting their equipment for free in here will slowly die, along with the system unfortunately :)

What a f... idea Avaya has of the market, it seems they are working to make we all abandon the ipo for other brands, I can't understand

We are working on NEC products and hosted and if Avaya goes that route we will get more into that I bet.
Sales people want to sell easy not tell customers that they have a shackle around their privates when they buy the system and also have to dig deeper than before without a lot of extra features.
I see the IPO for a long time striving to become like the CM but it has a lot of reliability to catch up on.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

I am going to dump the IPO for SMB. NEC SL1100 for small installs and Samsung for the bigger sites. I spoke with my ABP today and she confirmed the worst. With the IPOSS mandatory you won't even be able to sell a service contract. Avaya has simply decided to kneeecap their established base of resllers and take the money for themselves. Avaya can KMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back