Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP Cloud vs Avaya IPO 500v2 5

DiscLight

Technical User
Aug 3, 2024
US
What are your thoughts on this. Real world Advantages Disadvantages?

Rent or own? That is the question. For a business it is business expense or capitol investment for tax purposes. How stable is your internet and how do you plan to connect to the PSTN?

15+ years ago it hit all over the place and was a nightmare. As pointed out above it was internet connection. Among other things. The problem is a few things. The companies not supporting the Pots lines and charging $$$$ if they do. The traditional mfgs. of phone systems are going away. I don't know if they are going to survive. Outside the say first world countries. If you look on places. They are still pushing traditional systems. Just companies I never heard of. Then recently with NEC. I heard they was still going to sell systems only in Japan. But, I can't confirm that any place else.

About 15 years ago. We was running asterisk and having all sort of issues. Once the people who was running it left. Then some other people left. I replaced it with a used Avaya Partner systems. Since we already had POTS. The replacement went easy enough. Esp. since the building was 1960's and had plenty of 25pair phone wire all over the place. The system only went out once. A few weeks after the wireless tower fell on the building took out the power. So grab another precessor card and back in bsuiness. Now the IP office 500v2 units / etr cards are getting cheap. I have another options. Plenty of handsets picked up thoughout the years ag thrif stores.

The last thing we did to it was go voip in a cable internet bundler. They installed 2 cable lines. One we have the modem we purchased for internet. The other one has 3 jacks on it to support a total of 4 sip lines. The sad part is we have had more issues even on that. Compared to the local phone company. Though as the years went. It keeps geting better.

One final note is I had to go out and fix several systems. Have one customer who last problem with viop was something on the provider end. Going strong for 2+ years now after I configered the router with QOS.

TTFN,
Josh

@ CPM86 I can confirm the NEC information. They are done internationally next year.

In my area Cox will provide as little as 8 channels on a PRI so the cost is sometimes even lower than analog lines and that seems to solve the issue of having to deal with analog if it goes away.

Also add Tran has been selling a sip to PRI or analog converter for a long time which is another option.

My big concern is a long-term outage of internet and VOIP Services then what do customers do even for internal communications on a local level.

I think once the country gets hit with a long-term internet outage people are going to rethink real quick about backup systems using analog or traditional pri.

This country has never experienced a long-term internet outage since the internet as we know it came online.

In most cities and towns the old Bell network is actually still in place with underground copper still existing maybe not being used but it is something that could be used as a backup plan.

I think the only reason for an internet outage that lasts longer would be a defective cable. If it's one that provides Internet to many parties it will be fixed quickly. If it is one that is only to provide internet to a single site the priority is probably lower and it takes longer to fix. But... The probability that an analog or ISDN cable will be destroyed is the same as for the internet cable. And... For internet you will have options to use 4G/5G as a fallback but not for analog/pri.

Here in Germany you are not able anymore to get "real" copper based phone connections as the infrastructure is getting removed.

What are your thoughts on this. Real world Advantages Disadvantages?
unless you control the billing,the client will eventually be lost to the cloud provider,this is especially a issue with Ringcentral providers, microsoft and other corporations that will no matter how much you complain send account reminders well before the end of the term and unfortunately clients have no loyalty. if you want to sell cloud look at products like 3CX that allow you to use your own billing your own sip trunks, your own internet pipe, and you are as a agent of their product will always be in charge of the billing...their are others in the market that provide cloud, that are similar to 3CX so do some investigation , we do find that cloud is easier to implement than your regular Avaya , NEC, Alcatel-Lucent PBX and much easier to maintain however the revenue is lower per client but then its offset by the lower cost of ownership of the client with the only spares required being handsets and SBC's if you use them

In my area Cox will provide as little as 8 channels on a PRI so the cost is sometimes even lower than analog lines and that seems to solve the issue of having to deal with analog if it goes away.

Also add Tran has been selling a sip to PRI or analog converter for a long time which is another option.

My big concern is a long-term outage of internet and VOIP Services then what do customers do even for internal communications on a local level.

I think once the country gets hit with a long-term internet outage people are going to rethink real quick about backup systems using analog or traditional pri.

This country has never experienced a long-term internet outage since the internet as we know it came online.

In most cities and towns the old Bell network is actually still in place with underground copper still existing maybe not being used but it is something that could be used as a backup plan.
I have stories. Though to be honest. In this area. Happening less and less. Example: Fiber goes down in one part of the town. All day until they get the next part of find the issue. Then comes the next couple of questions. Anything more reliable? How about 3 or 4g fail over so we still have our phones and limited computers? It is how much? Maybe we should have not gone to the cloud.

I personally just don't have problems here with Cox with analog and PRI myself but plenty of problems I hear about with voice and cloud based systems

I find the responses to this question very intriguing.

For me this is not a simple answer IP500 vs Cloud. It's a bit more complex than that and it also looks like it depends on what part of the world you are in.

This purely my opinion based on my experiences.

We run a cloud business based on the IP Office (think powered by but with subscription) as well as what I think is very cleaver solution with a tenanted IP Office. This allows us to provide service at a very competitive rate from a small number of users to 3000. (Our smallest client has 3 users)

We also have the traditional on prem customers.

To answer I would look at the following aspects, more than one could add weight to the decision.

1/ Capex or opex business focus. This isn't really cloud v on prem as an on pre solution can also be opex but it's a factor.
2/ Internet access. If you have issues accessing high quality Internet but no issues with a quality TDM circuit (Whatever it is) then this is a big - for cloud.
3/ Total life span of the requirement. If someone is looking for a solution for a shorter period of time (up to 3 years) this is + for cloud.
4/ Size, 30+ users generally more expensive than cloud over the lifetime of the solution. Especially the longer it is.
5/ Customer relationship. "cs2003" is right but this is not really a cloud issue but a lot of providers to look to manage the end customer relationship. But then there are some that don't like us, We work with the reseller network, We bill the reseller they bill and own the relationship with their customer.
6/ Implementation. Most cloud solutions are quicker and simpler to implement than an on prem solution. However, this really depends on how complex the solution is. A Stright forward IP500 with embedded Voicemail is pretty simple and quick to deploy. Our cloud on the tenanted platform deploys in minutes with a bit longer of we need to integrate the customers/resellers Carrier (BYOC). Out standard solution takes 90 minutes to deploy ready for the users etc to be added. Plus, the carrier time (Porting connecting BYOC etc).

FYI in our local region you can't get any sort of TDM PSTN connection it's all SIP either on managed link to the carrier or over the top.

Just my 2 cents

Mike

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back