Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Very Bad ACRONYMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr3Putt

Programmer
May 27, 2003
IN
I dunno about you, but I am driven mad by poorly done or "forced" acronyms.

The one currently in my bonnet is "NORAD", or, the "North American Aerospace Defense Command".

Now, I'm sorry, but there is no $%@^& way that the above phrase can be represented by N-O-R-A-D. [gray]NORthamerican Aerospace Defense command[/gray]

Worse (to my way of thinking) is the way they represent their acronym here. Check out the upper left link list...

N: who we are
O: in focus
R: newsroom
A: for kids only
D: NORAD links

WHAT? Had they left out the colons :)), it'd be better, but still awful.

So, anybody got horrible Acronyms out there?

[red]Note:[/red] [gray]The above comments are the opinionated ravings of Mr3Putt. As such, Mr3Putt accepts no responsibility for damages, real or contrived, resulting from acceptance of his opinions as fact.[/gray]

Speaking of going back to the seventies, I always like CREEP - Nixon's Committee to Reelect the President.

Tim

Just noticed this: "Very Bad Acronyms" = [blue]VBA[/blue]!

That's funny.

Tim

Apparently, in the world of medicine, MSN stands for mentally sub normal!

Gez

SilentAiche lol.

Oh, I've found another one at our office here. We post our quarterly FOCUS reports on our web site.

What, oh what, could FOCUS stand for?

Financial and Operational Combined Uniform Single report.

Why, it's been combined, and now it's uniform... and since it's combined, it's a SINGLE report! Wheee!

Oh, and don't go there, the report is not produced in some Info-Builder FOCUS shop.

[red]Note:[/red] [gray]The above comments are the opinionated ravings of Mr3Putt. As such, Mr3Putt accepts no responsibility for damages, real or contrived, resulting from acceptance of his opinions as fact.[/gray]

PIN Number - That's Personal Identification Number Number?

I'm sure there's more like that but can't think of any right now.

Another item from the "Department of Redundancy Department": baud rate. Although not an acronym, "baud" is already a rate, which is the unit of signalling spead equal to one code element (bit) per second. So, How's your baud? [wink]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

Camlough Lake in N.Ireland, meaning "crooked lake" lake
--Paul

cigless ...

And then we have recursive acronyms, such as the scripting language PHP, which stands for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor"

But what does the PHP in "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor" stand for?

guitarzan: that's similar to Pine Is Not Elm
PaulTEG: I'm told that "kodiak" means "island" making "Kodiak Island" redundant. I've never verified the meaning, but someone who lived there told me this.

In the techno field, don't forget GIRLS

Generalised Infornation Retrieval Language Systems

gg

gg,

This software of which you speak, is there a stripped down version available?

Tim [insert smilie thingie here!]

[blue]__________________________________________________
If you need immediate assistance, please raise your hand.
[/blue]

Tim,
the sooner you get your ISP sorted out ... the less typing you'll have to do
B-) <-smug

cigless ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back