Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB Trick 80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shift+Click to close all nested explorer windows

on the windows desktop:
alt+enter to show the properties of the icon

:)

cas20002000,
What exactly is a nested explorer window?

Nested explorer option is normally disabled in Windows Explorer. You can enable this option from Windows Explorer. Goto Tool>Options and select the option "Open each folder in its own window", click OK.

Now goto your desktop. Open My Computer>C Drive>Windows folder>System folder etc. You will notice that instead of opening the folder in the same window, a new window is opened for each folder. All these Explorer windows form a set of nested windows. You have to close each of them manually.

However, if you press Shift while closing an Explorer window, all the parent windows belonging to the same nested set will also close.

For instance, in the above example, if you hold down Shift while closing the "System" folder window, the parent windows in the hierarchy, (My Computer>C Drive>Windows folder) will also close automatically.
This is what cas20002000 is talking about.

By the way, note that nested Explorer window option is not popular as it rapidly clutters your desktop with too many windows.

Ah, I see. I never use it like that simply b/c it's a pain to close all the extra windows. With shift click, it might be more manageable. Mind you, wouldn't it be difficult to know which windows would close upon shift click when several sources with several child windows have been opened?

>nested Explorer window option is not popular

I use it all the time...(mind you I'm probably the exception that proves the rule)

Worth pointing out that this sort of thing is much more manageable under XP, since it groups windows together under a single button on the taskbar

If you do invoke the option in XP to group similar windows together, you could close all similar windows in another way. Use the right-click menu to close all similar windows at once. This is a WAY COOL feature when Internet Explorer opens a zillion advertising windows on you - close them all at the same time without having to actually look at any of them!! Sometimes I'll have to reopen the page I really wanted to see, but it is well worth it!

---------------------------------------
The customer may not always be right, but the customer is ALWAYS the customer.

Best thing i ever downloaded was the Google Toolbar. Blocks pop ups... Greatest thing ever... If you don't have it get it.

Casper

There is room for all of gods creatures, "Right Beside the Mashed Potatoes".

I gotta agree with you on the Google Toolbar. We have distributed it enterprise wide here. Works like a charm.

Sam

How exactly does the Google Toolbar work? I've never used it yet; I always got the impression that while blocking unwanted pop up ads, it would block other stuff that I do want, like the pop up window for giving people stars on this site, etc.

If you click a link that opens a new window it won't block that. It will however block a 2nd window from opening when you simply go to a new page.

Or if you wanted to see that pop-up then you unclick the pop-up button or hold down CTRL and hit refresh. That will temporarily disable it

Casper

There is room for all of gods creatures, "Right Beside the Mashed Potatoes".

IN order to enable popups for a particular web site just go to the website and click on the button in the Google toolbar that shows the amount blocked and the caption will change to "Site popups allowed" and then popups will work for that site. The toolbar remembers the settings so oyu should only nedd to do it once.

Sam

IN order to enable popups for a particular web site just go to the website and click on the button in the Google toolbar that shows the amount blocked and the caption will change to "Site popups allowed" and then popups will work for that site. The toolbar remembers the settings so oyu should only need to do it once.

Sam

Ctrl+F will bring up the Find-Replace window

Yes, and actually Ctrl+F is somewhat of a windows standard...

Works with Notepad (Ctrl+H for Replace), Word, Excel, Explorer, etc...

For me, the F in Ctrl+F stands for Frequently Used :p

I use it all the time in IE to search for text on the page quickly...

And it opens up the Seach Pane for the current folder in Explore (XP)

Also F3 is usually associated with this as a Find Next function... (or for the search pane in IE)

Have Fun, Be Young... Code BASIC
-Josh
cubee101.gif

PROGRAMMER: (n) Red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

Speaking of find next and the google toolbar, don't you love the Toggle Highlight and Find Next occurence buttons that comes with the Google Toolbar?

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

With all of the talk about the Google Tool bar...

Is the Google Toolbar, positively, not ad/spyware...

I know there is a lot of controvery that comes with installing toolbars... (especially those 'My Search' toolbars and the pop up blocker toolbars that actually create pop-ups)

But on the other hand I have heard that Google, MSN, and Yahoo are the three SAFE toolbars...

Can anyone confirm this?

Have Fun, Be Young... Code BASIC
-Josh
cubee101.gif

PROGRAMMER: (n) Red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

I installed the Google toolbar - it worked great for a few days, but now pop-ups are popping up again... what's the deal?

If you have XP M$ came out with SP2 which comes with a popup blocker -

%, 2004

Some people have had problems with SP2... don't be in a rush to install it.

-------------------------------------
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who know binary, and those who don't.

I'm running W2K anyhow. :) Wonder why it stopped working all of a sudden... hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back