Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB Trick 80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows Key + m = minimize all windows open.

How about some mouse "shortcuts"?
Often at home, my keyboard isnt always in front of me, so I've found a few things you can do without the keyboard.

My favorite for bringing up the task manager is right-clicking the start bar and selecting task manager. There is also a selection there for showing the desktop (minimize all windows).

A shortcut for the later versions of IE and some web pages with text fields. If you have visited the page before, you can double-click on the empty text box to display a drop down of things you have entered in this text box before. Clicking one of them will fill in the text box with it.

As for VB, one of the few things I miss in VB6 is support for the scroll mouse (at least the standard mouse drivers I've used under windows 2000 & XP don't work for me; there's probably a way to make it work). However, it is supported in VB.Net.
While this is probably obvious, my favorite way way to transfer the focus to the code window (if you can see any part of the window) is to click a blank area of the code window. VB.Net also seems to support the auto-scroll function by clicking down on the scroll wheel. It is somewhat less useful here than in IE; as only the up and down options are available. The 4-way would have been better, as my code often runs off the right side of the code window. [surprise]

More shortcut for VB. They apply to the code window.
Accessing the Object and Procedure combo boxes:[ul][li]Ctrl + F2 = Select the Object combo box in a code module.[/li]
[li]Alt + Down = Drop down this combo box to select a different object.[/li]
[li]After selecting the Object combo box, Press Tab to switch between Object combo and Procedure combo, and again;[/li]
[li]Alt + Down to select a different event or procedure from the drop-down list.[/li][/ul]Place the cursor on any word and press Ctrl + F3 to find its next instance immediately. Press F3 repeatedly to find more appearences of the same word.

I noticed something for the first time last night, and I don't know if it's a bug or if it's supposed to do this:

Was laying out a form. Selected a checkbox from the toolbox, and placed it on my form.

Changed the default name and was starting to work on the other properties, when I decided that I didn't want a checkbox, I wanted an option button.

Highlighted the checkbox and hit delete to erase it.

Selected an option button from the toolbox and dropped it on the form.

Went to change the name, and it was already set to the name that I had already given the checkbox that I'd just deleted!
The name for the control at the top of the properties window ( In the drop down combo box, not the line for entering the name ) still had the default Option1 name. It would not change this name until I changed something in the actual name property and pressed enter ( just highlighting the name property and pressing enter would not do it )

Is VB supposed to do this?

I also noticed that this only happens if the properties window is closed before you delete the control from the form. If you have the properties window open, it does not do this.

Robert

I duplicated it, it looks like a bug. It's not refreshing the properties page. I actually tried to change the style property and it crashed vb.

I also just crashed my VB in a similar way.[sad]

Another minor flaw in the Properties window.

Click on any property in the Properties window and scroll the window with the help of the scroll wheel. The whole window will scroll up or down except the value of the currently selected property.

ive had similar to hypetia with the selected property staying put when scrolled, it didnt crash the IDE and its not done it for a few weeks now!! (i just put it down to all the shmo goin on with my CPU [multiple apps etc etc])

If somethings hard to do, its not worth doing - Homer Simpson
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A General Guide To Excel in VB FAQ222-3383
File Formats Galore @

Shift WindowsKey m and WindowsKey m are are Maximize and minimize

Here's a set that I didn't notice anyone else mentioning:

Shift + Arrow to resize a control or all selected controls
Control + Arrow to nudge a control or all selected controls

Those are my personal favorites

No Dolphins were harmed in the posting of this message... Dolphin Friendly Tuna!

*... Windows-M is minimize ALL ... aka Show Desktop

you can also double click the title (blue) bar to maximize a window, and again to restore...

those are my favorites, along with Alt-Tab & Shift-Alt-Tab to switch between programs...

Have Fun, Be Young... Code BASIC
-Josh Stribling
cubee101.gif

you can use winkey ( to configure your own hotkeys using the windows key...

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

OK, here are my suggestions for keystrokes of the century.

Alt-Spacebar and then R, M, N or X

There is a slight difference between Minimize All (Window+M) and Show Desktop (Window+D).

Window+D hides all windows and shows the desktop area.

Whereas Window+M minimizes ONLY those windows which are minimizable.

For example, if you have opened Display Properties and Windows Explorer, then Show Desktop will hide both windows whereas Minimize All will only minimize Windows Explorer without affecting Display Properties as it cannot be minimized.

A small trick I use for LONNNNNNG Varialbe names is
to Type them in as a Short Unique Name E.G
F-8 ( instend of Bloodylongname)

at end of session

Find -
Replace ALL

does all the typing

Hypetia,
that's true...

However, I learned Win/M on my NT at work by experimenting after learning about win/E for Explorer

I don't think windows NT (4.0) has win/D or show desktop though...

As far as I know, they came out about the same time as 98 with the Quick Launch Bar (which NT does not have)...

I never knew about Win/D... thnx... I'll try it at work monday (on my NT).

Have Fun, Be Young... Code BASIC
-Josh Stribling
cubee101.gif

On that they used to have in VB that I haven't been able to relocate, if it still exists.
There used to be a hot key ....ooops I think I'm thinking of Visual C++, anyway.....a hot key where you would be on on a block start or end and it would find the other side....
ie put your cursor on a If and it would jump to the End If or a Do and it would jump to the Loop
It was good for finding out where you missed a end if when you do sloppy code with 10 levels in 1 procedure 8P

For those that have never tried:
Did you ever right-click on a V/H scrollbar?

Also instead of using Alt-Tab, I sometimes use Alt-Esc

And I thought the UNIX VI editor had too many special key combinations... LOL

Oh talking about UNIX. I started out on UNIX eons ago, one Unix feature I loved but windows didn't have was GREP. To be able to parse out only the lines which contained a certain string.

In fact it bothered me so much especially when I tried to search log files and only pull out error lines. So I made my own windows Grep Utility. Or as I call it the Greppah...

If anyone wants it let me know I'll email it as soon as you send me a cheque... Just kidding I'll give it out free as long as you give me credit when someone says that's the coolesst program ever.

Craig

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
~Frank Sinatra

I'd like to see it but *only* if:

1. You tell me what "Greppah" stands for
2. It has some cool keyboard shortcuts

Nahh just kidding (on the second one ;-))

vb6@gmx.de

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back