Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too Much Time at Tek-Tips 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrJavaJoe

Programmer
Oct 3, 2002
US
I sometimes find myself spending more time reading threads and researching others questions than I do working on my own projects. I'm guessing that most of you have found yourself in the same boat at times, you run across an interesting thread and 2 hours later you are wrapping up a new function or process that may be great but has contributed nothing to your current project. Obviously it's not all bad I become a better programmer every day because of TT, which benefits my employer, but how fair is that. In my own defense I do spend a considerable amount of time at home working on my employers project, by choice not by necessity. I'm considering looking for a TTA meeting, Tek-Tips Anonymous, because this site is truly addictive:). Anyway I just wanted to get feedback from other Tek-Tips-oholics and see where you stand on the issue, are you guys and gals honestly spending too much time here. If you do I can't blame you, this is the best technical forum on the web, Thanks Tek-Tips Management.

How about: [morning]

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle 8.1.7 - Windows 2000

Yes, I thought the mascot was already Starbucks!!

You can tell because at my Devry university, students always would complain about the lack of choice in the cafeteria, not to mention the hours. Their solution? They put in a Starbucks!! I bet they're making bank at that school!!!!

Yum!

OK so who tipped off the management about our little chat? They seem to have had an outage over the w/e just to test us.

I went cold turkey most of Sunday with no TT. Not happy - still shaking.

Do we get an uptime guarantee as committed users? (not that I'm committed, just that I SHOULD be).

Was up everytime I hit it, Zel. Probably 4 times scattered from noon EST till 11PM.

>Probably 4 times scattered from noon EST till 11PM.

yep but thats 4pm to 3am in the UK, whilst poor old zel was shaking in the corner

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

My name is Zeit & I'm a Tek-Tips addict.

And an Eng-Tips Addict....

rgds
Zeit.

Does anyone else get weird facial contortions from their significant other when you try to explain why you had a dream about a thread? Or is that just me... [ponder]

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle 8.1.7 - Windows 2000

I try to post/browse when I'm waiting on my computer to do something (somebody said something about waiting on a blue-bar... I do that a lot myself).

DrJavaJoe's idea of a Group Project could be really fun. Guess I'm Tek-Tipsy too, eh?

I also agree with the idea of hearing more questions from the MVPs... esp. in the non-technical fora such as Development, Ethics, etc.

BJCooperIT, I guess I'm not as advanced as you... my TT life hasn't infiltrated my conversations with my SO. Nothing wrong with dreaming the answers to your problems, though... I AM guilty of that!

Ben

There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

Yes, I am usually compiling or waiting for a report or query to generate when I visit.

I have had these dreams too. I'm coding like crazy and there's no end in sight. Nothing worse than dreaming about work!

Hi there, I admitt, I am an adict meself... (looks shamefully in to the rooms corner (with a big grin on his face))...

When I go on the NET I definetly check two sites all the time... Tek-Tips and another one (name will not be mentioned)...

when I am gone for a day, I get the same shakes and sweat attacks, like when my coffee cup is empty (heavy drinker of coffee) or nothing to smoke (bad habit I know)...

But Dave, one thing I gotta say, if one is unemployed and has time on his hands what do you think he/she should be doing, but to get on to Tek-Tips and learn from other adicts like myself????? HUH? If I wuz back in the 'world' I probably would try to get a nice little job, but I'm not and over here it is a bit more competitive and with no papers a no go as to employment wise...

Ben

PS - had my fix for the day... tomorrow same time same station? did I just say that...

>>Does anyone else get weird facial contortions from their significant other when you try to explain why you had a dream about a thread? Or is that just me..<<

My God, there are others like me! (Reaches for another tissue to wipe the tears of joy.) [cry]Now if only I could somehow eliminate the &quot;Terret's-like&quot; behavior of shouting out random GeekSpeak while I'm in REM,[curse] I believe I might just be able to beat this thing. Will somebody please light a candle for me tonight somewhere?

But seriously though....,

I don't think I could adequately express how much I appreciate the existence of this Technical Nirvana. Most often when I'm in &quot;head scratchin'&quot; mode over a perplexing dillema, I don't even have to post a related question since I usually find that it's been expertly and clearly answered already. It's like having the answer sheet to the largest and sometimes hardest, exam. And the added bonus is that no matter how many pages of questions are added, so too is the answer sheet.[smarty]

The problem, (there, I said it, OKAY?!) for me anyway, is that after finding the answer(s) I was needing, I start browsing the posts and BAM! 2 hours have gone by and I haven't applied the info I originally sought out to the current, and now URGENT problem that brought me here in the first place!

Awh Hell! Who am I trying to kid? Add my name to the Support Group sign-up sheet... I'm ready to check myself in.

Regards,

Steve McLean
Co-owner &
Director of Tech. Svcs.
Geek Bros. Computers
Chandler & Yuma, AZ USA

I've logged on to Tek-Tips only 11,878 times, does that make me an addict?
I'm retired with WAY too much time on my hands.

Jim

A show of hands of people who were browsing Tek-Tips during the Superbowl.

&quot;Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.&quot;

Super Bowl?
Man one thing I like about being in Australia .... no one cares about watching a football game for 5+ hours when there is only about 38 minutes of play in the actual game.

Then agian they watch cricket for 5 days in a row for 1 game to end in no result :/

Hope I've been helpful,
Wayne Francis

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

And darn in EUROPE it's slowly catching on, the superbowl, that is... but a Soccer World Mastership isn't as exciting as reading Tek-Tips on the PC... *G

Ben

Bad, bad, BadBigBen! (what pun?)

Between fake fouls and out of bounds balls in soccer matches, it's entirely possible to enjoy TT (without losing a key stroke).

Dimandja

Not me! I did the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy marathon! lol

Not me either! My daughter and I watched the extended versions of The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers (after having seen The Return of the King on Saturday evening....[smile])

-D

Uh, I didn't even know it was Superbowl Sunday. I was busy working all weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back