Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too Much Time at Tek-Tips 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrJavaJoe

Programmer
Oct 3, 2002
US
I sometimes find myself spending more time reading threads and researching others questions than I do working on my own projects. I'm guessing that most of you have found yourself in the same boat at times, you run across an interesting thread and 2 hours later you are wrapping up a new function or process that may be great but has contributed nothing to your current project. Obviously it's not all bad I become a better programmer every day because of TT, which benefits my employer, but how fair is that. In my own defense I do spend a considerable amount of time at home working on my employers project, by choice not by necessity. I'm considering looking for a TTA meeting, Tek-Tips Anonymous, because this site is truly addictive:). Anyway I just wanted to get feedback from other Tek-Tips-oholics and see where you stand on the issue, are you guys and gals honestly spending too much time here. If you do I can't blame you, this is the best technical forum on the web, Thanks Tek-Tips Management.

Hello my name is Infinitelo, its been two days since my last post .... DOUGH....

if it is to be it's up to me

I hate to - slightly - disagree with Dave on this one...

But in July 2002 I was made myself redundant (don't ask!) and I came across Tek-Tips which introduced me to a whole new way of thinking. I could use it to improve my knowledge by helping others sounds noble but there are always selfish motives with me.......

Whilst unemployed I had no exchange server, NT servers, test network etc to practice on so I was losing knowledge fast. By going through the thought process of other peoples' problems I kept my brain tuned into trouble shooting, which is ultimately what got me my current job. I was asked what "How do you resolve..." I said "not a clue but this is how I would go about finding the answer..".

The key here is balance. At the moment I am blue bar watching, so there's no issue with taking part in TT.

Its like anything we do, break the speed limit, use company phones, swear, you just have to know where the line is drawn.

Iain

P.S. If you find the line is drawn in pencil just rub it out and make a new one further down the road! [noevil]
P.P.S. This was originally meant tounge in cheek wasn't it?
P.P.P.S. Good luck John

Hey Doc

>>but could probably be further along if I didn't spend as much time here.

I could probably argue the point with you on that one. I'm in a similar boat, but I'm a salaried employee. Now I spend 90% of the time I frequent the site on my own time in the evenings, but do log on occasionally during the daya if time permits or during lunchbreaks etc. The benefit I get out of the site is that my knowledge increases such that the reason I am where I am on a lot of projects is *because* of my involvement with the site. With Excel, the right tips and tricks can save literally weeks of effort that somebody else would have to put in because they aren't privvy to them. Every now and then though, I'll not rememebr how to do something, but know that it's out on the site in a post somewhere ( Got that bookmark facility yet Dave?? :-> ). When that happens, I am very thankful indeed that I can access it from work.

My point is, that without the time you spend here, I would counter that you may well have found yourself much further *behind* than you currently are. Like you say though, balance is everything, so as long as you think you get that right, you shouldn't have any heartache over this.

Just a slightly different perspective to help you sleep at night, that's all :)

Best Wishes
Ken................

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think an important aspect is that for those of us who spend time helping, we were probably in a position of being the "helped" at one point whether this was from Tek-Tips or public NGs or whatever.

We (and/or our employers) benefited from others posting answers and solutions so we could work faster, smarter, and with less trial and error. I can justify some of my TT-Time as returning the investment others have made in me. If smart people hadn't asssisted me in the past, I wouldn't be nearly as productive as I am today (well, not right now).

There are times when I could use a TT "12 Step Program" ;-). I am getting quite good at holding my new grandson in my left arm and mousing/typing with my right hand. I read him the posts which pretty much guarantees he will fall asleep.

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

Step 10:

"Continued to take personal inventory (of our flaming and other off-kilter posts) and when we were wrong promptly admitted it."

Dimandja

My feeling on this is that for every hour I've spent on Tek-Tips, I've probably saved about 4-5 hours of development trial and error.

I generally don't spend much time researching issues for other people, but I'm willing to share knowledge I already have, or code I've already written. I rarely search for threads to answer, but in the process of finding my answers, I scan to see if there's anything where I can help.

The end result is that I may not be helping as much as some, I'm better able to keep up with my professional responsibilities. It's all about balance.

Dave, first let me say, and I believe it's safe to say from all of us, thank you for putting together and managing such a great site. As you can see from all the post in this thread we love your site. I will say that any over indulgence that I may have with the time I spend at Tek-Tips is overwhelmingly made up for by the benefits that I receive. I probably should have directed the title more generally to online time, but I think the Tek-Tips reference allows us true fans to rant a bit about TT and why the time is worth it.

I've had my days weeks months when I haven't been able to pull away from TT. Depends on how challenging/pressing the current project is. Like many of you, I've learned much just helping others solve their problems. But, I've also learned a great deal just by reading some of the questions. Someone will be trying to do something that I'd never thought of or do it in a manner that hadn't occured to me. The overall effect is that it helps me think "outside the box" when working on current projects....

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook (No, I'm not Rick)

zen.gif

I thought I would do a sanity check as a result of this thread:

1) I found out about, and became a member of, Tek-Tips on July 17 last year. During the ensuing 190 days, I've logged into TT only 920 times (4.8+ times per day).

2) I'm sitting here wearing the "Purple Star Hat" that my children fashioned for me at Christmas.

3) My customer just called to see how I was coming on their current incident.

Dave, since I realised that I just failed my sanity check, have you considered the business opportunity that a "TT 12-step program" represents?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 20:10 (23Jan04) GMT, 13:10 (23Jan04) Mountain Time)

Hello, my name is Amy and I am a Tek-Tipaholic too. Obviously, I'm posting right now.

I've gone from checking posts a couple of times a day, to many at work AND at home.

But I have to admit, this is the best professional technical forum I have found!!!

Thanks Tek-Tips and everyone who posts! ;-)

As for addiction, worst forum of the lot is TTUK, and I see a couple of other serious addicts here.

Ah well, at least we have proper support group meetings. [smile]

Rosie

You can have my Tek-Tips when you pry my keyboard from my cold, dead fingers.

Who says geeks aren't funny?

My name is rhombus65. I am a geek!!!!

Jim: A+, MCP W2k, Master Electrician

"The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing..."
-Albert Einstein

I've independently adopted the "project-related" rule that CajunCenturion described. When I read or respond in forums that are related to what I'm working on, I often find myself thinking of my own problems in a different way, which can contribute to more productive approaches.

But there are other ways you can use TT to help yourself.

Not too long ago, another member asked for ideas as she was beginning a project. As it was similar to a project I was concluding, I contributed some rather lengthy posts describing my project. A few weeks later, when my employer asked me to produce post-mortem documentation, I came back here and grabbed that thread: all the beef for the post-mortem was written there. The questions and comments that the other members asked or made helped me to describe why we chose certain alternatives and rejected others. Because of the give-and-take, my own thoughts were more clearly expressed.

Although I didn't intend to get collaboration on my documentation, that's the way it turned out. I had some qualms when I started those posts, as I knew some people might have considered it an improper use of my employer's time. However, it sure didn't turn out that way!

So, I'm tending more to look at my TT contributions as a repository of information: things I know about things I'm working on. Things I might not have written down for any other reason are on this site, available for my own retrieval when I need it.

TT gives as much as it takes. (Don't take the word takes as bad.) I've been hooked for a couple of years, and I've learned more than I've given. I love this site. As far as geeks, check out

Thanks and cheers to D & D.

[cheers]

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

You know the one thing that I find most frustrating is when I refresh my browser and see no little green stars in my Threadminder, no new post. It seems like the askers post mostly Mon-Fri during peak hours and the MVPs very seldom post questions. Friday afternoons and weekends are soooo lonely. Maybe we should use this time for the site's MVP's to post more technically advanced or philosophical questions, as the forum dictates. I myself am guilty of this I have only asked 7 questions in a year and a half. I would love to see more questions, challenges etc. posted by strongm, SemperFiDownUnda, CajunCenturion, Johnwm, vb5prgrmr, to mention a few. Think about the potential for great threads. My favorite threads of all times have been the ones where theory and testing by the experts have made for a better mouse trap. You know we might even consider putting together a group project on various forums, The Tek-Tips Screen Saver, The Tek-Tips Game, The Tek-Tips Skinner, etc. I guess this might intensify the addiction but I guess I'm already too far gone.

When we have over-dosed at Tek-Tips are we [blue]Tek-Tipsy[/blue]?

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

or Tipped Over? [upsidedown]

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle 8.1.7 - Windows 2000

[LOL]

When is TT going to make a coffe mug.... mouse mat.... car bumper sticker...... Baseball Cap...... t-shirt..... Novelty Bobing thing for the back shelf in my car..... but what animal/thing/logo could be the TT mascot?

Iain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back