Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

taskbar startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdemo

Technical User
Jun 9, 2009
how doI stop programs from opening on windows startup? (the buttons at the right of the taskbar)

Diancecht" has given you a good link to follow that should help you considerably.

I would like to add that many, but not all, of the icons in the Notification Area will have a right-click menu item leading either to Preferences, or some configuration, where you can just tick a box to prevent that program from loading at Startup.

Other programs, Windows Live Messenger is a perfect example, have Preferences under some Options tab, accessible via the main user interface, where you can stop the program loading at Startup.

In addition to the other comments; if you don't want to use the software, consider uninstalling it properly from Control Panel, Add/Remove programs.

Thanks everyone! your input helped allot! I am having a problem with just one last thing. Windows messenger still starts in the the taskbar. I went into Add/remove programs, Add/remove Windows componnents, unchecked it and it still starts!!!???
Again thanks for all your help!
gdemo

Thanks BadBigBen!!! that did it I also disabled the messenger service. My machine is starting up much faster now!

Thanks Ben and everyone!!!

gdemo.

P.S. Great web site!!!

The Messenger Service despite the name has nothing to do with the Windows Messenger program. It is more for computer to computer communication in a Network setup.

The fact that it was not already disabled makes one ask whether your machine is fully updated as I believe that Service has been automatically disabled since SP1.

330904 - Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement Appears

Did you try to go into Start --> Run type msconfig, select the Startup Tab and locate MSN Messenger and uncheck it from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back