Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Taskbar 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopro

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
GB
My desktop taskbar has stopped responding, I have searched on Google and the experts suggest all kinds of Mickey Mouse fixes but none of the ones I have tried actually worked.

Is there a solution or is the latest update another pile of wotsits churned out by MS?

Keith

When you say checking drivers, what am I checking for?
>> Well, it can get cumbersome, I won't lie.
You could start with looking for any flagged devices in Device Manager (Start button: type device and it should show up at the top of the list).
Some of the most common problematic drivers are display adapter drivers, then network adapter drivers, then chipset drivers.
If you're running an Intel chipset based motherbooard, I think it worth a look to see if they find any updates for you:

For the drivers, you can quickly go through all the above, checking things at least, fairly quickly.

Your event logs:
Start menu, then type Event and you'll likely see Event Viewer at the top of the list. As the monkey pointed out, you may find some answers there. I usually follow these steps to speed up the process for 99% of issues:
[ol 1]
[li]Under Event Viewer, open up "Windows Logs"[/li]
[li]Select "System"[/li]
[li]Usually you have to wait a little bit - so be patient.[/li]
[li]On the right, click "Filter Current Log"[/li]
[li]Check boxes for Critical, Warning, Error - the rest probably won't help.[/li]
[li]Hit OK[/li]
[li]Wait[/li]
[li]Peruse[/li]
[/ol]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Thanks very much, your help is appreciated.
The report above was from the error logs and not very helpful.
All the device drivers look OK ie. no warnings etc.

This has only started happening since the last update.
One error which did show up was a reference to DCOM caused by FTPing files using Filezilla, something I do a lot.
It doesn't do it every time but once it has done it, the only solution is a reboot and you can imagine how frustrating that gets when I have work to do.

I have read that the DCOM issue could be due to a permissions issue but my attempts to change the permissions failed miserably and as I don't have the time to spend chasing faults, I just gave up.

Keith

Hmm... I never had issues in the past with FileZilla when I've used it, though it's honestly been a while, and it wasn't all the time I needed it. But just a hunch - (hopefully not already mentioned) - have you tried running FileZilla as administrator? You could try running it that way, and if the problem seems to go away, you could change the properties to always run as administrator.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I didn't run Filezilla yesterday yet the Taskbar ceased up on a couple of occasions.
When Filezilla has triggered the problem. restarting Windows Explorer cured the problem.
The error is reported as a problem with DCOM.
Whatever triggered it yesterday, prevented WinEx from running. The window appears but the little blue circle of mystery just spins.
In this instance the unhelpful message
Code:
The program explorer.exe version 10.0.14393.479 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
appears in Eventmgr Errors.

Keith

This part looks at least interesting:
check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

I wonder if there is any value there. Never thought about looking there, I guess because no message has pointed there. I just hit the Start menu on my machine, typed security, selected Security and Maintenance, clicked View archived messages at the bottom left, and low and behold there is a place for a list of historical items. Mine in some ways unfortunately has no examples to peruse.

I checked the value there at the time but that only applies to errors reported to Microsoft.
This problem is being experienced by others and are being reported on the Microsoft forum but their solutions look more like pure guesswork rather than actual solutions.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back