Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to automate a troublesome startup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2009
AU
PushBullet no longer opens reliably at Windows Startup. If I end its multiple entries in Task Manager's Background Processes, then clicking on the StartUp shortcut becomes effective. So I need a batchfile (?) that checks for those multiple entries in Task Manager's Background Processes, and ends them, and then activates the startup shortcut. A shortcut to this process can replace the PushBullet shortcut in StartUps.

Before you mentioned it, I had discover the FILTER option in Autoruns, and entered PushBullet'; the only result was for the batchfile in StartUps. But you have lost me with the 'show-false' etc.
If there is a 'lack-of-internet' issue, I can avoid that by delaying the StartUp batchfile suitably, because I have changed my routine to turn off the modem every night; and start the modem and the PC simultaneously in the morning. I do NOT use WiFi - the PC is connected to the modem by ethernet.

ROFL. I suspect I'm right then... it's the delay in establishing an internet connection. I wish I'd known earlier that you turn the modem off each night. Most take a good few minutes to carry out their self-tests then network handshakes to determine the most reliable connection speed. By that time your PC has no doubt already booted to the desktop.

You won't need a batchfile or anything else. If you don't already have one, just create a desktop shortcut to the Pushbullet executable then amend its 'Target' properties by appending -show false like this:

pb_shortcut_oerjjf.png

Once you can see in the Notification Area, bottom-right of the taskbar, that you have a connection to the internet, use the desktop shortcut. This will do exactly what you want. It'll start as a background process, check for internet connectivity then display the 'Welcome/Sign in' dialog.

Hope this helps...

Thank you for that, but I prefer automation, rather than checking for internet, then clicking the desktop shortcut. I should be able to launch the desktop shortcut with a batchfile which has a suitable delay - whatever the size of that is. Provided this really is the solution, I can experiment with delays until I hit the jackpot.

Post 5... increase the timeout and add the switch.

For example, 1 minute delay:

Code:
TIMEOUT /T 60
START "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Pushbullet\pushbullet.exe" -show false

If you don't want to see the commandline console, run the BAT file using the built-in VBS, e.g.:

Code:
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 
WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\data\batch files\dos or cmd\pushbullet.bat" & Chr(34), 0
Set WshShell = Nothing

Hope this helps...

Your batch file with a 5 min delay was successfull (for ONE trial without modem restart); I will progressively shorten the delay till it fails to launch, then I will know the required delay.

As for the VBS - it is good to know about, but if it is not NEEDED or superior in achievement, I prefer the more simple, and more easily understood batch file process.

Thank you so much for your patience and forbearance.

No problem... hope it works out for you.

PS - The VBS script isn't an alternative to the batch file, just a way to run the batch file invisibly, i.e. without the console window appearing.

just a way to run the batch file invisibly" - now you mention it that I see that it in fact calls the batchfile

PushBullet has been launching reliably - Thank you so much.

I KNOW batchfiles have the extension of 'bat'. Is VBS the typical extension for Powershell script ?

Good to hear the outcome.

MyScript.vbs - a Visual Basic Script file.
MyScript.ps1 - a PowerShell script.

Both VBS and PowerShell are built-in to Windows. However, VBS is in 'maintenance mode' with no further development and dwindling support. It's role has been taken over by PowerShell as the primary scripting tool for Windows.

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back