Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start - Program Names analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

robroy6

Technical User
Aug 20, 2006
US
The Structure of the XP PRO START - ALL PROGRAMS display.

Clicking on the All Programs option displays 4 columns of 32 characters each. This can display a maximum of 132

programs. If one has more than 132 programs you would not see the excess. If some program names contain more

than 32 characters one loses the right side of the last column which contains an arrow indicating some folders exist

for that program name.

My program names come from various places in the C:\Documents and Settings\ folder.

ex1: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\ contains 16 program names (C) and there

are 90 subfolders (B) (Program Names) under \Programs\ for a total of 106 program names.

ex2: C:\Documents and Settings\MYNAME\Start Menu\Programs\ contains 5 program names (E) and there are 19

subfolders (E) (Program Names) under \Programs\ for a total of 24 program names.

This yields a total of 130 program names. In some cases the same Program Name is used in two different folders. In my case I show 126 program names with 6 empty slots for more names. The first 3 columns contain primarily programs from the B area with some names from the E area arrainged alphabetically. The program names listed after the last one from the B area contain program names from the B, C, D and E areas not in alphabetical order. I assume these were added as I installed new programs.

The reason I undertook this analysis was because I had more that 132 active program names but could not see the ones that were added last and therefore missing. I also had some program names that were longer than 32 characters and I could not see the full program names in the last (fourth) column and could not see if these names showed an
arrow for multiple subfolders.

Any comments or corrections?

Sorry, not with you. In as much as I don't understand what you are trying to say, or which view you suggest has these limitations.

Dear Strongm, I am talking about XP PRO and the feature to see all the "programs" ready to actuate by clicking START, ALL PROGRAMS. This yields a listing of 4 columns of 33 programs each for a total of 132 programs. The columns each contain program names of 32 characters maximum.
If you have more than 132 active programs you won't see all of them listed. If you have at least one program name containing more than 32 characters you won't see all the program information in the 4th column.

>This yields a listing of 4 columns of 33 programs each for a total of 132 programs

Not here it doesn't. Nor on any version of XP that I have used. Hence my question. Well, actually, there is once scenario that might vaguely match your description. Let me just ask - what screen resolution are you running? I'm suspecting it is on the low side.

Thanks strongm, that was the clue I was waiting for.

I use a screen resolution of 1024X768 and it produces the list as I described (4 cols X 33 programs each = 132 displayed program names total).
When I tried 1152X864 I got many more programs listed. I didn't count the program names per column because I tried the change temporarily.
I have always used 1024X768 because it allowed me to see/read the screen data comfortably.
I find 1152X864 gives me character that are too small for reading.
Of course 800X600 gives huge characters and much less than 132 programs in the list.
I use a 20" diagonal display and each resolution gives 4 columns.
If you use a larger display (27"?) how many program names are in each column?
Thanks again, a big mystery solved for me!!!

You could try a higher resolution, but changing the DPI like this may yield better results for you. But it won't be a big difference. Just easier to read at higher resolutions.

Thanks for everything.
At 1152X864 I get 4 columns of 37 programs = 148 max.
The resolution ratio is 1.125 vs 1024X768.
I think I will stay at 1152X864 and try to get used to the text at that size.

I will experiment with the DPI change.

For IE & FF CTRL++ (CTRL plus the + sign) will increase the type size in those browsers. For MS Office 2007 and above you can increase the type size by using Zoom on the "View" tab. Most other apps have ways to increase the type size for ease in viewing.

I have a native resolution of 1920x1280 on a 23.6" HD monitor and I find that if I increase the type by between 125% and 175% I have no problem reading the screen.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

You know that zoom mode, is just a temporary change to the DPI (dots per inch) not an actual resolution change, right? Which is why if you change it at desktop level, it should hold for the applications also, since most of them reference the desktop for visual settings.

@rclarke, yes, I know and that is why I use it. My desktop is literally empty. I have wallpaper and that's its. The programs that I use most, as well as shortcuts to cmd, task manager, explorer, notebook, etc. are pinned to my task bar, which runs down the RIGHT side of my 23.6 HD monitor.

I have web sites zoomed to different sizes in multiple tabs. Depending on the web site, some don't need to be zoomed at all and some need to be zoomed 200+%. I have Word and Excel zoomed at different rates. Photoshop, I don't zoom at all, except when I'm working closely on a photo. That's why I don't do an overall resolution change. Windows remembers all the various settings even after a reboot.

I should note that I am using Windows 7 now but I did similar with XP.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

ahh, thanks for the update, I just have old eyes, so I change the DPI on my laptop for everything, lol :)

Thanks everyone. I changed my DPI from 96 to 120 and it made the text VERY readable. It changed the "START+My Programs" display from 4X33=132 max to 5 columns with 31 programs per column = 155 displayable program names max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back