Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSDOS PROGRAM IN WINDOWS 10 32BIT WILL NOT WORK

Status
Not open for further replies.

moveit

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
GB
Earlier this year I moved to Windows 10 32bit advised by yourselves. I am getting to know the OS but have come across something that does not make sense.

Since XP I have always had a seperate disk with my data on it. On this disk is a MSDOS program 16bit which is a small data base called CardboxPlus. It goes back to 1989. I always have a shortcut to start it and have not had any problems until Windows 10. I loaded 10 32bit on a SSD and it picked up the data hard drive okay. It even worked with the shortcut. As my data HD was getting old I transferred all the data onto a new SSD. For no reason I can find, Cardbox would not work. I even followed a website advice of the Legacy being un-ticked and reinstated via the Command Prompt. This did not work either.

From XP to 10 I have always used the 32bit OS so I can use the old software. Can you help?

Thought I would give you an update. I noticed that there was a file that did not copy over from the HDD to the SSD. It would not even let me open it. I have just got a cloning program and used that. It copied the file and all the others and now the Cardboxplus works from the D drive via a shortcut.

The file that would not copy is SandBlastBackup

Does anyone know what it is?

On my computer (Windows 10, home edition, 64-bit) SandBlastBackup is produced by one of the facets of my anti-everything protection software, ZoneAlarm Extreme Security.[ ] It is very tightly secured, presumably for good reason.[ ] It seems to get bigger and bigger, but never smaller, and one one or two occasions it seems to have suddenly got VERY large.[ ] When this happens I delete it, and it then re-establishes itself, but smaller.[ ] However the only way I have found that allows me to delete it is to re-boot my computer in Safe Mode.

Toss the two words sandblastbackup and zonealarm at Google to get some theories about it.[ ] But nothing definitive that I could come across.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back