Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Legacy Software on XP with a limited user Account 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking.

If it is a non-Admin account, you can use the Task Scheduler to pass alternate credentials.

Or, the AT command supports alternate credentials.

Or, use PsExec, part of the wonderful suite of tools from Sysinternals (freeware, and incredible):
If this is part of an upgrade package, such as an IE cumulative update or whatever, the MS Installer package lets you do what you want:
Or use an MSI or Third-Party "wrapper" in conjuction with Group Policy:

Hi Frank,
One possibility is the Path and File Name that you have entered into the software. Something that I have to work on when I have the time is the way the software handles different paths. Also it is only able to handle exe files at the moment. I will work on the software tonight and try and solve the problems with paths and also enable support for none exe files.

If you or anyone else has any suggestions for this software please let me know and I will try and incorperate it into this next release.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

greg,

User guide to permission sets required for Win2k and XP?
Nothing lengthy, just a "Minimum required Permissions" text note.

Hope everything is going well for you,
Bill

New version available now at
This is a temporary home while I swap ISP's. New location will be posted ASAP.

I have fixed the problem with paths from previous version.
I have added a browse facility to find your Exe file and have added a small help file.

I am continuing to work on this project and hope to add tha ability to run scripts/open documents in a normally restricted DIRECTORY, plus the ability for you to change the default icon.

If you have any further suggestions please let me know.

Greg Palmer

Greg,

Glad to have you back with us.

gpalmer;

Could you post the the syntax of your program?

I have tried using the runas command to do what your program does.

I just want to see where I went wrong.

Is there an updated link for the "new version" mentioned in the 2/4 post? It doesn't work now.... Thanks!

Paul.

pdwood55: Do you know VB6? If so let me know and I will post you a link to the source code for download. If not let me know what you were having problems with and I will give you a hand.

fpwr: You can find the software at
Please note that I will be changing ISP's in the next couple of weeks so there may be intermitant access to the files until then.

Greg Palmer

I have tried this with a regular user and get this message:
CreateProcessWithLogon W() failed with error 2.

Can you help?

I am not vb literate. I just thought you would be too busy to help:)

I have downloaded your program and tried to use it. I keep getting "Runtime Error 20" and "Runtime error 21". I use VB6. If you could send me a link to the soucre code I would appreciate it. Maybe I could dabble with it to work on my machine.

Thanx Tigerflight

[sup]Tiger[/sup][sub]Flight[/sub] [tiger]
Everyone has their two cents worth. Lets all try to donate our two cents and maybe we all can come up with a Dollars worth of advice!!!!!

TigerFlight,
It is essentially a permissions issue, but missing some of the run-time modules for VB6 look likely to be involved as well.

See, possibly: And an earlier comment by myself on required permissions.

But more likely is Greg (gpalmer711)'s note and link above on January 7, 2004 to be up to snuff on the VB distributables.

I have installed the updated VB runtimes. And have security permission. Runnuing Xp Home on wifes puter. Personnally I don't like xp "too slow". My 98 See puter runs circles around that machine and mine is at half the speed of hers. Ther are a hundred other reasons I don't like xp. Not being able to setup user accounts the way I want to right now is the biggest head ache.

Everyone has their two cents worth. Lets all try to donate our two cents and maybe we all can come up with a Dollars worth of advice!!!!!

TigerFlight,

There are odd permission issues with XP Home. Solvable, but I can understand the frustration.

On a personal note: I did not start liking XP at all; my original thoughs were that it did not offer a compelling advantage over Win98SE or Win2k Pro as a client OS.

But I have changed my mind. XP is the best Microsoft OS released to date. I support a lot of Win2k sites, and it is frustrating for me not to have access to even the trivial tools of a native XP installation. And quite honestly, XP is the best consumer product I have ever purchased. Please do not ask me of my own experiences with toasters, automobiles or washing machines.

Modestly, as a fairly frequent contributor to this site, there is not an XP problem that if posed here as a question cannnot be dealt with. Not all, but I am confident that most questions will have a solid resolution proposed.

TigerFlight,
I should also try to directly answer your question.

XP Home is missing some standard components of XP Professional.

While in many cases there are workarounds, I suspect the best advice would be to upgrade to XP Professional. Particularly in the case of RUNAS as a "pushed" installation method.

As you are current on VB6, my guess is that the registry entries (and group policy to adjust the settings) just simply are not there under XP Home. If you look at the links I provided in the 6th response in this thread, even under XP Professional (and Win2k) there must be certain registry entries and permissions.

Without intended offense to you, this method of software distribution under XP Home is just not likely to happen.

The problem is not that I can't run the program as an administrator from the limited user account. I can. The problem is that I don't understand XP enough to build my own program to enter the The Admin Name and Password automatically without the user having to do so. Having them enter the info would just defeat the purpose of having a limited user account. As I said, it's the wife's puter. She let's others use it while we are not here. We don't want them to install or delete. They are teen's. You can tell them all day long but in the end.........????....
I don't like XP because it is too slow..... I started when Windows was just a dream. On a Commodor VIC/20. Every thing was basic or machine language. No hard drive. And then to a 386 with a 10mb hard drive w/ DOS only. When I upgraded to a 25mb HD, everyone thought I was crazy that I could not use up a 10mb HD. I did not like Windows at that time. It grew on me, but I still like to use DOS. Maybe XP will grow on me??? Doubt it though. Real happy with my 98SE. I just havn't had time to dabble with my VB and the XP machine. I guess that I need to get another book on VB and XP and see where I can go from there.

I have found a slight bug in the new version of the software that is causing the runtime 20 & 21 errors. I am moving house at the moment but will fix the problem in the next couple of days. I will also upload the source code at the same time.

Greg Palmer

Anxiously Awaiting!

I am unable to install runasuser (new version)!

Some files are out of date on my system, so I let the installer update and I reboot but still they are out of date!

Which files are they and how can I get rounf this?!

Thanks

There's no need for sarcastic replies, we've not all been this sad for that long!

The software requires the Visual Basic 6 Runtimes which can be found on the Microsoft website here.
As for the bug that was found in the new version - I am currently working on that as we speak and will upload the fixed install as soon as I have completed sufficient testing.

You'll be the first to know.

Greg Palmer

I was wondering, whether you already thought about a commandline version of this great tool. The possibility to integrate it even in automatic install scripts, might be quite handy for admins. Please let me know if such a thing becomes available.

Best regards
Bertl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back