Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 systray icon - it won't go away! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterC

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2001
US
When I close Outlook 2003, the Outlook icon remains in the system tray. And OUTLOOK.EXE is still showing up as a running process.
Any ideas why the program won't close out? Is this a setting somewhere?
Thanks for your help!

Charlton

By chance, are the users experiencing this problem working with (developing, modifying, or reading) custom created Outlook forms?

--
Mike

Why make it simple and efficient when it can be complex and wonderful?

Thanks for your reply, Mike.
No, no custom forms here. But I think I've found the problem: Microsoft ActiveSync is trying to keep Outlook open to sync with my pocket pc.

I have this same problem. No active sync here. Also I get the same experience if I open outlook 2000 on a different machine since installing 2003 on my primary computer.

Same problem here. Outlook 2003 leaves icon in systray and a process running. Outlook 2000 hangs when trying to close. Anyone found a fix yet?

Same problem here also. 1 out of 40 workstations doing this. The only thing I see that is different on the workstation in question is that it has some of that crappy toolbar downloads on it. Not sure which ones but I'm wondering if anyone else with this problem has items like this installed also. I'm going to try to remove them with the add/remove programs and see what happens. I think I read somewhere else that someone having this problem thought it was some spyware (LOP) causing it. I'll post the results later.

occdate,

Yes definately get ride of those toolbars. That IS spyware (It's probably Hotbar). In my experience, the add/remove programs does not completely remove them. You'll need a powerful spyware remover. Here's a link to a spyware program that I would highly recommend.

--
Mike

Why make it simple and efficient when it can be complex and wonderful?

I'm having the same problem here (exiting Outlook 2003 [on XP Pro] leaves the system tray icon and process running). I've scanned for malware/spyware, and come up clean. I *am* running Yahoo toolbar, but am reluctant to think it's that, since it doesn't interfere with any other Office products in the suite. I *do* have a plug-in (Franklin-Covey's PlanPlus). I haven't removed it yet, since it's a pain to install/re-install. Was hoping others might provide more insight before I ripping and stripping my setup.

Here's hoping.

J. M. Schneider
Chicago, IL

has anyone come with a solution on this one. I have the same issue and it actually affects the syncronization as well. I've got a VP that heated about this. Any help would be much apreciated.

I've uninstalled Office2003 and re-installed twice.

I have noticed this problem as well.. I reloaded the os to get rid of it.. everything worked fine with all apps including Norton 8, that is until i loaded FAR CRY on my machine.. it installed Directx 8b as well as other things. I'm runnig active sync as well and did not have a problem prior to loading the game.

Maybe we should make a list of applications and compare to see what is common?

I have seen a lot of posts and apparently MS is ignoring it at this point.

I'm going to re-load my machine again to verify where it starts to hang.

Hmm... When you say you 'reloaded' the OS, was that an 'In-place Upgrade', or did you reformat and reinstall the OS and APPS?

Just checking.

-- JMS

Unfortunately reloading the OS isn't an option as this is the VP's laptop.

She doesn't have any games loaded. Basically your HP sharing software, Office 2003, etc. Also a Sierra Wireless CDMA card.

No add on's for email and have cleaned all spyware off using SpyBot search and destroy.

Why not? Back up the pertinant personal files and the mail file (PST if it's office) to the LAN, and use BelArc advisor to inventory the apps. Then blow it away and reinstall. Restore a base image if you've got one to work with, then build the apps. Or just reinstall one at a time (painful but effective).

-- JMS

After some research we found that it might be an issue with the Outlook 2003 Calender syncing with Exchange 2000. We're setting up a test environment to see what we can do.

Hmm... Well, in my particular case, I've got one POP3, one HTTP (Hotmail), and one IMAP account.

I removed the IMAP, and rebooted Outlook. No improvement. I removed the HTTP, and rebooted Outlook. No improvement.

If I remove the POP3, there won't be a need for Outlook, now will there?

Next...

-- JMS

In our case we're not using IMAP but actually connecting to Exchange.

So am I to gather that your having a similar issue without connecting to an Exchange server?

I erased and formatted the drive to re-load the os..

Like I said this only happens after soething is installed.. and the last thing i installed was far cry which did a directx 9b install

just posted this question myself. sorry i didn't see this one before i did. anybody figure this thing out yet? i'm not running any sync software or anything special. am curious about the directx component though. not sure if i have that loaded. anyone know how i can tell?
thanks.

i tried disabling the directx- both audio and video.
didn't work. still have to manually stop the outlook process.
this machine had the upgrade from office 2000 to office 2003, and i couldn't find the original serial # to download all the latest 2003 patches. maybe the problem is solved in a patch?
maybe i'll try to uninstall and do a full install of 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back