Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 systray icon - it won't go away! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterC

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2001
US
When I close Outlook 2003, the Outlook icon remains in the system tray. And OUTLOOK.EXE is still showing up as a running process.
Any ideas why the program won't close out? Is this a setting somewhere?
Thanks for your help!

Charlton

Thanks Softus tried both fixes and neither one worked. I may just reload this guys machine I have spent way to much time on it.

Ok! Here's *my* scoop.

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600)
Hardware Abstraction Layer
Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"

Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1
Product ID 73931-640-0000106-57096

Uninstalled WinFAX PRO 10 with Add/Remove Programs. Rebooted. Opened Outlook. Downloaded Mail. Closed Outlook.

** System Tray Icon closes. **

Reinstalling WinFAX PRO 10. I'll update you.

-- JMS

I don't know, but since I applied XP SP2 I have not had Outlook stay open on me once. It's closed completely everytime. I haven't done anything else to the pc, seems to easy though... Has anyone else seen this?

Thank you Supermgl. You dont happen to have the SP2 just layin around on an ftp site or something do you?

I am also wondering if anyone has tried this. Looks as if SP2 is a nightmare. I would hate to install this and have it not help at all.

Shaon94

Sorry all I could not get back to this forum for some reason. Any way the SP2 did not work. This machine is going to get reloaded I have spent way to much time on this. SP2 does have its issues. we have seen some strange things so I recoment holding off on it.

Well Outlook has stayed open once or twice on me with SP2, but overall it seems to close completely much more often than not. I have not found any issues with SP2 other than it blocking access to the network initially. I find it no more annoying or harmful than if I had installed a personal firewall like Zone Alarm though. I'm not sure SP2 can be considered a fix, it just seemed to help the problem a bit. I sure wish a true fix could be found.

I have been reading through your thread as I have been plagued with the same problem. I have an XP pro system and Office 2003. I had installed XPSP2 and all the patches possible. After seeing the msg from grimkirk, I decided to try removing winfax. Outlook now works a treat.
Thanks

Sorry - Been busy, haven't reinstalled WinFax yet. Will try to do that this evening, and provide an update.

On the SP2 front (personally), I have no intention of installing SP2 until I've remediated it with all of my apps. I already know it breaks M$ CRM (how ignorant!), and Symantec NAV (haven't seen a fix from Symantec yet).

-- JMS

I'll be removing WinFax from my user's machine tonight. Just got a call that this is happening on 2 other users too. I don't think one of them has WinFax

Same problem here. Even after a fresh install of WinXP Pro (dutch). Only other software on the machine is OfficeXP (w/o outlook, rest is fully installed) a salary program and a banking program. The other machines in the building work just fine with the same setup...

WinFax / Outlook issue fixed!! I have tested this on three different pc's running now for a couple of weeks with no issues. The unfortunate thing is i had to start from scratch. Reload a fresh version of Windows XP, all updates and drivers, then the first application i put on was WinFax. The installation of office xp and all of its updates caused no other issues. The ONLY thing I've noticed is that you do not see the Winfax Logs in Outlook. I haven't tried to load them yet but I can run both programs, fax and get e-mail and nothing hangs. They both close without issues.
Jeff

Hey guys, first post. Been reading your problem, had it myself. By using the info from this post, I screwed around, and found this. In Outlook 2003, goto Tools>Options, then goto the Other tab, click on Advanced Options, goto the Add-In Manager, and disable Exchange Extensions Property Pages. See what that does.

Well I tried the David Levinson add-in, and it didn't solve my problem - hope it has helped someone else.

The add-in installed cleanly, and appeared to run when Outlook exited, but remained forever with a progress bar running from left to right (and restarting when it got there).

I also tried the change described by AnalogRival - doesn't work for me.

I'm putting off the day when I do the full re-install, but I can it drawing ever closer...

Good luck to you all with this.

I ran into this problem when I installed Winamp 5. ??!! I ended up getting error messages from Shoutcast and Internet radio sites when I tried to tune in. (Path to my "Temporary Internet" files didn't exist, supposedly.) I tried removing Winamp 5.0, but that didn't help.

I ended up retreating to a System Restore from about a week prior. That took care of the Shoutcast problem, but left my Outlook behaving strangely.

Nothing seemed to work. I tried some of the solutions in the thread and none of them seemed to do the job (I didn't even have WinFAX installed). I just went ahead and "reinstalled" Office 2003 from the CD-ROM and chose the "reinstall Office 2003 the way it was originally installed" option. It took care of my problem and left my Office updates from MS in place.

This is indeed a strange one.

Regards,

Edward Carney
carne006@umn.edu
Research Associate
Univ. of Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back