Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2003 systray icon - it won't go away! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterC

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2001
US
When I close Outlook 2003, the Outlook icon remains in the system tray. And OUTLOOK.EXE is still showing up as a running process.
Any ideas why the program won't close out? Is this a setting somewhere?
Thanks for your help!

Charlton

I upgraded from 2000 to 2003 and installed all patches but still have the same issue.

have you done a full install of 2003 with the patches/updates?

If you're talking about Office 2003 yes. The laptop has XP on it with all patches as well.

shoot. so a full install is no different than the upgrade install?

i found another tech forum that talks about activesync, winfax, and any anti-virus program- being the culprit.
i don't use activesync but haven't tried tweaking the other two. not sure if the machine uses winfax though.

Yeah, I tried disabling the antivirus as well and still hung on exit.

Basically what we're seeing here is there is an issue with Outlook 2003's calendar syncing with Exchange 2000 server. Not sure what the fix is other than upgrading to 2003 server but that's not going to happen in my company for a while.

It's quite annoying.

i'm running exchange 2003. but i believe the outlook client is set to sync all folders at logoff. maybe i'll disable that option to see if that's it.
yes, quite annoying.

Interest suppositions.

But I'm not using Outlook to sync with ANYTHING. And when I removed the IMAP account, the problem is persistant.

Disabling sync at logoff could be an issue (I haven't checked it, and am not at that location at the moment to do so myself). Am following this thread closely in hopes of a resolution. Has ANYONE talked to M$ about this?

-- JMS

i don't have access to the client machine right now either. but i'll post as soon as i try disabling the logoff sync.

I disabled the logoff synch and this did not resolve the problem. Folks at Mailstreet.com tell me they have contacted MS about this problem but haven't heard back yet. Mailstreet.com tells me that many of their customers have been experiencing this problem so we certainly are not alone!

P.S. Concerning KnucklesNuclear's post on July 15, upgrading to Exchange 2003 doesn't seem to be a solution. I'm using Exchange 2003 and still have the problem.

I'm having the same issue on XP Tablet. I'm using an Exchange 2003 server and an Outlook 2003 client. I'm happy to see I'm not the only one having this problem. :)

Doesn anyone know if other than wiping the machine and starting from scratch will work? I know uninstalling and re-installing doesn't because it leaves stuff in the registry.

I have the same problem. We are running server 2000 and outlook 2003. I don't synch anything on this computer. I don't have spyware, I think it's just a "feature" (read:bug) of Outlook 2003.
Another annoyance I have is that it doesn't automatically display public folders and there is about 3 clicks to display these folders!

my machine with the problem is a laptop. i notice knuckles' is as well. what about the others? laptop/desktop?

This problem is not specific to laptops. I’m running Outlook 2003 on a desktop and a laptop at home and a desktop at work running XP (none with an Exchange server), as well as Outlook 2000 on a second machine at work running Windows 2000 (with an Exchange server). All of them have this problem. I do have ActiveSync on two of the machines, but not all. No spyware or browser toolbars on any of them, and the problem started manifesting itself before I installed my anti-virus software. What makes this problem particularly irritating is that it’s intermittent. On all of the machines, Outlook shuts down all the way about 50% of the time with nothing in the systray and no processes running, so I know it has the capacity to properly shut down.
Sorry for just posting another ‘me too’ message. I’ll keep researching and post if I find anything useful. This has been an annoyance since I started using Outlook. As much as I love the new features of 2003, I had hoped that MS would have fixed this.

I am also having the outlook.exe process hang after closing Outlook 2003. The user is not using any toolbars or PDA synching software. Does anyone think the problem is a result from a hotfix download from microsoft? This PC has all Office updates etc.

I was having the same problem before I loaded the patches. I loaded the patches to try and correct it.

I was told by Mailstreet.com engineers, who heard from Miscrosoft, that Norton Antivirus is the culprit if using a version that was installed before installation of Outlook 2003. NOT TRUE. I uninstalled Norton SystemWorks 2004 and reinstalled it and this did not fix the problem.

Hmm... Have you uninstalled both, then reinstalled Outlook, then NSW? Just a thought.

-- JMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back