Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New MAI Contest -- Name That Business 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiniMufasa

Technical User
Sep 8, 2005
US
Since you MAIers are all so incredibly creative, I thought I would continue to tap into those creative juices (or whatever fluid floats your boat) and see who can come up with the best name for my new business.

Basically, I go to client's homes and inventory all their stuff. I take digital pictures of everything from their TV to hand towels (if they want). I then put their information (scanning receipts, purchase dates, serial numbers, models, et cetera) into my software. Next, I create a CD/DVD with a copy of all their information and photos.

My service objective is that clients can use the info in the event their home is destroyed by fire or other disaster (e.g. Katrina/Rita), or if they are robbed, for insurance-coverage issues, tax issues, or the like.

If you have more questions or if you need more information let me know. I am really looking forward seeing your suggestions for the company name. Thanks!!

Aaaahllrighteeee then...Ready, set, goooooooo!!
or for our good British friends...Ready, steady, go!

Thanks,

MiniMufasa

P.S. DrJoe, I am going to leave the templates to other companies. However, I will make that suggestion to my clients! Thanks.

You should also catalog the current replacement cost of the items. That TV you bought in 1985 may have cost you $200.00, but it was "top of the line" at the time. A new, top-of-the-line TV to replace it will cost much more. For insurance purposes, knowing what you lost isn't as important as proving what it would cost to replace it!

Thomas D. Greer

There are many great suggestions. If somone already suggested this, then my apologies.

Photo Assurances

P.S. My dad is a retired Chief Of Police and amateur photographer in the South Eastern Pennsylvania area. Can he apply for a job?

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Well, MM. I think you've come up with a slogan!

"We Snap Your Crap!" [idea]

--Dave

Some more ideas...

Visualize It Back
Picture It Back

Both of those can be read with multiple meanings. Some general ideas (not sure if they've been offered yet)...

Frozen In Time
DocuDisk
Prove It!
MiniMufasa Documentation Service
CompuGlobalHyperMegaCorp (or does Homer already have that one?)

Maybe something playing off of a colloquialism...

In The Pudding (The proof is in the pudding)
A Thousand Words (A picture's worth a thousand words)
A Million Words (Can a CD hold 1,000 pictures?)
A Tree Falls (If a tree falls in the woods, and no one's around to take a picture of it...)

One thing you might look into is some kind of Notary recording of the CD and the pictures at that point in time. The thing about an insurance company is that the CD is only recording the belongings at that point in time. A four year old record of their belongings doesn't take into account things that may have been sold or purchased since the pictures were taken. It might be more accepted by the insurance companies if the CD is Notarized.

You might also offer lower cost "update passes" over your existing customer's "crap" when they've made major purchases or completed remodeling or made upgrades to their homes. This way you can get additional sales from existing customers and they make sure their new "stuff" is documented.

Anyway, this is an awesome idea. (And I still like Snap Your Crap best! [bigsmile])

MiniMufasa,
Just in case it has not been said clearly, I think this business idea is inspired. Not only is it an accurate assessment of what is needed based on current events, it is a much needed service for folks who do not have the time, energy or skills to do this themselves.

Do you anticipate working on nights or weekends? Some folks would want/need to be present for the inventory for a variety or reasons. No offense, but I would not be comfortable with a stranger in my house (going through my things) if I were not home. Also, having two large dogs, I could not guarantee someone's safety if a family member were not there.

Have you given any thought to the shady customer who borrows "stuff"? You could wind up cataloging a MP3 Player or diamond ring that they do not even own. Would you be liable or implicated if they perpetrated insurance fraud?

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
Author and Sole Proprietor of: Emu Products Plus

BJCooperIT said:
Have you given any thought to the shady customer who borrows "stuff"? You could wind up cataloging a MP3 Player or diamond ring that they do not even own. Would you be liable or implicated if they perpetrated insurance fraud?
I'm not a lawyer, but I would think she would NOT be liable. At no time is MiniMufasa making the insurance claim, she has only taken the pictures, collected the information the "owner" has supplied, and packaged it for them. The premeditation and intent to commit fraud takes place when her customer starts borrowing things to have documented.

It would be a good idea to consult a lawyer on the matter for a more informed/educated opinion.

MiniMufasa is away from her machine presently, but I believe I can answer a few of the issues in her behalf.

Part of her business plan includes these provisions:

1) MiniMufasa has a membership in Pre-Paid Legal Incorporated. Part of the service is that Pre-Paid Legal will review her business plan and other documentation for legal proprieties.

2) MiniMufasa does not enter the client home without the client accompanying MiniMufasa or her people throughout the house during the filming.

3) Before filming (stills or video), MiniMufasa has the client stipulate, in writing, any items to which the client does not hold title. MiniMufasa excludes those items during her documenting service.

4) The client signs a disclaimer that all items that MM documents are items that the client presently owns.

5) Although MM's husband (and co-owner of the business) is, in fact, a professional insurance adjuster, they chose not to create business "entanglements" with insurance companies in order to remain totally independent and to avoid any appearance of conflict of interest (e.g. upselling coverages, et cetera).

6) MM+hubby do, however, make insurance agencies aware of their service, with no obligations on either side.

7) MM+hubby do not appraise (or estimate value of) any of the items that they document. They do, however, include the service of digitally scanning, along with the focus item, its accompanying receipt, which documents date of purchase and value along with establishing proof of ownership.

8) Part of MM+hubby's service is regular updates of belongings to keep the list updated for insurance currency.

9) As MM mentioned earlier she and hubby and any workers that enter client homes are bonded and insured and have "Errors and Omissions" insurance.

I believe this covers all of the outstanding issues. Did I miss any?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

There is nothing like a comprehensive and well thought-out business plan! [2thumbsup]

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
Author and Sole Proprietor of: Emu Products Plus

Did I miss any?

What's the company name?;-)

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

PICsurance from SamBones sounds good

The legal issues put forward are interesting:
- Why would someone claim his/her stuff from an insurance company, when only a week ago Picsurance cataloged the whole thing... Did you expect a robbery? a judge could ask.
- To which a degree are photos on a cd proof of property? you have a stronger proof if the proprietor holds the receipt of the item while photographed (date of receipt and amount have to be visible).
- Proof would be stronger if the property sits in a natural setting (books on a shelf, tv in front of bed), instead of being photographed isolated
- Let the insurance know that you have catologed you items by the professional company Picsurance (it does have this 'pig'-sound)
- Sent the dvd to the insurance company before you get robbed.
- Why is the name of my own company so crappy - E-trend?

Pampers.

You're never too young to learn

I think of it this way, most people are honest and have a lot more stuff now than they did when they bought their house and homeowners insurance. Time now to up the insurance and it wouldn't be a bad idea to record what you have just in case of a disaster. Let the judge ask away they have nothing to hide.

Now for the few bad guys who call up MiniMufasa with the intent to defraud, again so what MiniMufasa did her job and is the state's witness against the thief.

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

E-xactly!
When this one goes bankrupt, I know where to get the real good ones.

Pampers.

You're never too young to learn

Well, my friends, I think we have picked a name.

We love the name that KenCunningham submitted for"Proof Positive"! We like it because it sounds positive, still professional, and it is clever!

The two entries that received the biggest laughs were from SamBones for "Snap Your Crap" and from DrJavaJoe for "Family Asset Recording Techicians".

Thank you for all your fun and creative entries. I also would like to say "thank you" for all of the business ideas and input. We have already started working on a web page and brochures. (Which reminds me does anyone have an idea for a logo?)

You all are amazing! Thank you!

logo idea:

floating in the open 'mouth' of a lock-box, have a short film negative strip, a piece of paper that could be a checklist, and a CD. These are probably the three most prevalent forms of media you'll use to capture people's inventories, yes?

Actually, I can picture something in my head that involves a checklist (a vertical 8x11 sheet of paper with checkboxes and scribbles for writing), with a CD overlapping the lower-right edge and a film negative strip horizontally overlapping the upper-left edge. The paper could have a slightly-off-center-and-diagonally-placed square stamp on it (like the type that people use to stamp 'Sensitive' or 'Top Secret') that says 'Proof Positive'.

That's it. I'm tapped.

--Dave

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
O Time, Strength, Cash, and Patience! [infinity]

Mini,

Outstanding choice! Ken's "Proof Positive" is brilliant! Wish I'd thought of it!

Best wishes for your new enterprise.

Tim

[blue]______________________________________________________________
I love logging onto Tek-Tips. It's always so exciting to see what the hell I
said yesterday.
[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back