Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just getting started... Where to go from here 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUSSTY08

Vendor
Oct 24, 2011
US
I have a Diploma in Telecom, but no other certifications. It took me almost a year to find a company that wanted to hire a tech with no real experience besides an internship (Cable TV Internship). I got on as a service tech for a PBX Vendor. The job is great so far and is totally focused on what I learned from school. The only down side is I dont know how excited I am on being at a desk from 8-5 every day. Im not saying I want to go see the country, but I am wondering if I should get myself into a service truck and pointed in a new direction.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

W.A.D. - Working As Designed

Granted I am not in Telecom, and I never got the urge "get myself into a service truck and pointed in a new direction", but I don't think I understand what are you complaining about.

Let's see, you got your first entry-level job with no previous experience - so you now have a chance to get some experience. You like the job, and it is in your area of expertise. You have regular work hours, don’t have to be on call, no odd hours, weekend shifts, no overtime. I really don't see what could be a problem in this arrangement.

And, most of all, you don't sound like you already stayed at this place for too long, have enough experience to get a better job, or have one lined up. (You didn't mention, how long have you been at this job?)

Unless you are here long enough to feel yourself pigeonholed, underpaid, and with no career growth prospects, I would suggest staying for some time longer and get something to put on your resume. Then, if you still are unhappy with 8-5 desk job, try to change positions in your company (see if there are openings, or growth opportunities), or look for something new and more dynamic.

Stella's right. Everyone of us had to work in the trenches before moving up to where we are now. It sounds like you have a good starting point. If you are wanting to add something that gets you out from behind the desk, then look into adding Networking to your skill sets. In smaller companies, the Network guys also manage all the telecom. They are always running around fixing things for users or building the infrastructure for new systems needs. If your position allows, see if you can help the net admins from time to time and start picking up some experience there as well. With many companies migrating over to VOIP solutions, adding networking will only serve to give you a broader range of possibilities. It will open the door to many more opportunities and keep you from being pigeonholed into just the "phone guy".

--------------------------------------------------
“Crash programs fail because they are based on the theory that, with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month.” --Wernher von Braun

If you are in the UK we need a good tech.... ;-)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Just starting out. I remember. At 21, I said pretty silly things. At 51, I say the same things, but now that I'm old, fat and bald; people listen.

Be careful what you wish for. In thirty years I've spent a lot of time on the road. Depending on the upgrade I still do.

KE407122
'Who is this guy named Lo Cel and why does he keep paging me?'

LOL !!! KE407122 .... That's more true than most of us care to admit I think.

“Crash programs fail because they are based on the theory that, with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month.” --Wernher von Braun

Only because I remember entering a work force that didn't want me and had quite a transient work history for the first ten years. I remember graduates of electronics technology programs expecting to program but when they arrived on the job site, were handed a rope and told to pull. I remember three of us at the top of a manhole at a University Campus, muddy and dirty; Three graduates overhearing some undergrads walk by discussing what they job they'd possibly find after graduation with a B.A. I think the muddiest one of us yelled,
"I can answer that!"

If you've got a job that is related to your education and aspirations, good. I didn't, so what. After 27 years, I still enjoy this industry. And yes, there are days I'd like to be back on the road, muddy and dirty, broke and young.

With age comes wisdom.......Blfffft! If I had to do it all over again I'd probably just be getting released by now.

KE407122
'Who is this guy named Lo Cel and why does he keep paging me?'

Rusty,

You're not alone.
My trip is kind of the same. Went to IT school for an AAS. Worked in the IT field for 15 years, basicly servicing a specific software solution and mastering everything hardware and networking without certs. As our PC based systems became more stable, I begin to spend way to much time at the office on the phone or dialed-in remotely. I realized that I prefer the field work.

I now work as a field engineer on autmated industrial equipment from my home with a company vehicle. I also now have my BSIT degree now, and can't get a single IT offer that would be competitve with my current salary plus company car.

What I have to say about my new job:
"I would rather have a bad day in the field than a good day in a cubicle."
This sounds like you too.

Good luck to you. If you like, I can share more info on how I made the change over into a different field of work.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back