Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IRRITATING words and expressions 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyazh

Programmer
Sep 18, 2006
US
UNDOCUMENTED ALIEN -- "If they haven't followed the law to get here, they are by definition 'illegal.' It's like saying a drug dealer is an 'undocumented pharmacist.'" -- John Varga, Westfield, New Jersey.

deepgrewal: You're dealing with an international crowd here. US-centric jokes might go by some folks.

Stella: He's talking about George W. Bush.

I concur with most of your list, deepgrewal. But "Criminal Law" has never struck me as redundant. It is one type of legal study, along with property law, tort law, etc. Many, if not most, lawyers do not deal with criminal law.

"Happy Birthday" offends you? Really?

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

This thread is about irritating words and phrases. To me, the pronounciation of data has always been vexing. I know the Latin way is with a soft a (as in Las) sound (dah-tah). I have no problem with it, but very few people say it that way. They say it with a long a (as in bat) sound (daah-tuh). I happen to like daytuh. That's all. I'm no etymologist either.

Have you ever met anyone with a problem with their legs that was so bad they couldn't control the muscles and nerves to keep them still? If you happen to meet someone like that, tell them to ask their HMO, doctor and their mortician (in that order) about new drugs that can cure this chronic disorder.

You take the fun out of Jeopardy.

Deep Grewal
"Microsoft Works" - oxymoron

John,

It was a joke: I sited "Criminal Lawyers" as being redundant. Implying that lawyers themselves can be criminals (usually the white-collared breed of criminal).

Happy Birthday is just a bit much. Congratulate me for my merits like graduation, performance increase, divorce.

A birhtday is not that hard to "achieve" for many. What annoys me is those people who act different on their birthday, usually women (sorry ladies) and become either really attention-hungry or depressed. I can't tell them the common phrase of "Oh, grow up!" because apparently we are celebrating that very event.

Deep Grewal
"Microsoft Works" - oxymoron

deepgrewal said:
RLS - Restless Leg Syndrome is a new affliction they are trying to tell hypochondria Americans about.

I'm too lazy to find the citation right now, but I read an article about the drug companies running focus groups to come up with these ridiculous acronyms. ED? WTF? I don't have ED; I'm just old!

That seems to be their modus now: develop a drug and then come up with a need for it. Spend hundreds of millions marketing the drug and price it so you can recoup the advertising costs and make a pretty penny.

<."

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

anotherhiggins,

He's talking about George W. Bush.

Thanks. I am in USA, but due to the lack of free time, many "Jeopardy" facts slipped my attention.

deepgrewal,

Have you ever met anyone with a problem with their legs that was so bad they couldn't control the muscles and nerves to keep them still? If you happen to meet someone like that...

I don't think if I meet/already met anyone like this, I would know, because people don't come to me complaining about their legs and what's else, and I don't have a habit of asking, even if they don't keep their legs still. They come to me for my other skills.
On the other hand, if you ask me, PMS is a fabricated disorder, too.

CajunCenturion

Do you mean, this thread is closed?

==> Do you mean, this thread is closed?
Not at all.

I'm simply posting an irritating "word", and one that often appears at the most inopportune times.

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

For example, when you try to post to Tek-Tips after typing a lengthy entry. "<." is damned irritating at that point.

I agree, "<." IS extremely irritating.
But in the context of Tek-Tips, I would rather classify it as an expression, not a word. :)

A sign I see at an auto shop next door to my bank proudly states "Smile! Your on camera!"
The fact that someone wrote that phrase down, gave it to a sign maker, the sign maker didn't correct the spelling, and the person who ordered the sign actually put it up is astonishing to me.

Calling a 'problem' a challenge'.

I hate managers that do that!.

The last company I worked for trained everyone to call a 'problem' an 'opportunity'. I cringed every time I heard that.

RLS - Restless Leg Syndrome is a new affliction they are trying to tell hypochondria Americans about.

While I do agree that many people are hypochondriacs (including my mother in law), RLS isn't a "new affliction".

It's an old affliction, that they've finally given a name to.

As long as I can remember, if I am laying in bed and I don't move, my legs will twitch, spasm, and even knot up. Is it RLS? I don't know... but it's damned uncomfortable, and keeps me from getting a proper night's sleep (that and the fact that I stop breathing on the average of every 3 minutes, even when I'm awake).

With regards to apnea (not just sleep apnea, because as noted, I stop breathing when I'm awake as well), I have "both" reasons. My throat will relax and close against the back of my throat, cutting off the air (a vpap machine helps a LOT with that) but I also have neurological reasons that I stop breathing. That's why I stop breathing even when I'm awake. I just "forget".

The machine doesn't help that. But my O2 levels are good, so they're not extremely worried about it.

Now, I'm not trying to whine, bob knows there are people with a lot more medical difficulties than I have; overall I'm quite healthy for a 41 year old man. But, please don't "make light" of a very real problem.

I have found, however, that taking a potassium suppliment helps a *lot* with muscle cramps and knots in general...

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

what causes it on Tek-Tips?

Usually, my desperate need for assistance.

Got another one to add to the list:

Can you drop everything and get this done before COB (close of business) today?

< M!ke >
Your right to an opinion does not obligate me to take you seriously.
- Winston Churchill

==> Can you drop everything and get this done before COB (close of business) today?

I think that is the corniest acronym.

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886

*groan*

Shucks, that was a nice one, C[small]orn[/small]C[small]ob[/small].

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

Myself instead of me.

As in: "If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call Joe or myself". I think people think it makes them sound important when all it really does is make them sound uneducated!

kmcginn,

Nice one. Also "I" instead of "me". And I agree with your explanation - people want to sound smart so they over correct.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

Reminds me of Word's grammar check. Somebody put on their resume that they had experience with Windows ME and Linux. Word wanted to change that to "Windows, Linux, and I". [ponder]

Solum potestis prohibere ignes silvarum.

Flapeyre said:
Somebody put on their resume that they had experience with Windows ME and Linux. Word wanted to change that to "Windows, Linux, and I".
Actually, Word's grammar checker is incorrect: since "with" is a preposition, then the personal pronoun is the object of the preposition and, therefore, is the objective sense (and should, therefore, be "me") and not subjective (should not be Word's subjective-sense suggestion, "I"). The grammatically correct Word suggestion should have read:
Correct Word said:
I have experience with Windows, Linux, and me".
Of course, we don't truly want to know how much experience the applicant has with himself, right? <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

SantaMufasa said:
Of course, we don't truly want to know how much experience the applicant has with himself, right?

No, we certainly do not. TMI.

Solum potestis prohibere ignes silvarum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back