Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(In)Appropriate Product Names 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCorrigan

MIS
Feb 24, 2004
MT
I saw this one yesterday ... had to read it again as the font made it look like something else .......

"Mr Shifter -- Toilet Bowl Cleaner" :)

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

Not a product name, but Qwest, a western US phone company, also had to change their slogan. They were using: "That's our spirit of service, in action." But when they said it, it always sounded like, "That's our spirit of service - inaction." After a few months, they dropped the last two words for some reason [tongue]

[blue]When birds fly in the correct formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.[/blue]

I used to work for a firm who (for about a week) went by the name ASPHire. Until one of the developers pointed out that it could be pronounced as 'Ass Fire'.

Aside from the crudism, you don't want the word "Fire" in your name if you're a Human Resources firm.

Back to the drawing board...

Chip H.

PS.
I think the domain is now in use by a firm in the UK, who somehow missed the alternate pronunciation.
Or just doesn't care.

Chip said:
you don't want the word "Fire" in your name if you're a Human Resources firm.
Reminds me of the response from the project manager for the Hubble Space Telescope when a reporter asked him what are some important things he had learned while leading the project:
Hubble Project Manager said:
Don't name a project after anything that rhymes with Trouble!

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

I rememeber from my childhood a product name that was not inappropriate, just...odd...

It was the mid-1970s and we were living in Perth, Australia. There was an Aussie underarm deodorant called, I kid you not, Uncle Sam Deodorant, and I still remember the advertising jingle the actors sang in the T.V. ads:

You need Uncle Sam,
You need Uncle Sam,
You need Uncle Sam in the stars and stripes can.
It's the perfect connection for fellow and girls,
'Cause the under your arm is the top of the world.

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay &quot;How To Ask Questions The Smart Way&quot;. TANSTAAFL!

Oh Gawd!!

I'd forgotten that ad until now. Now, how do I forget it again??

Cheers! [upsidedown]

I walked into a Walmart this week as saw a new cereal named, "Wild Animal Crunch." It had pictures of baby seals, dolphins, and other animals. I don't know about you but I don't think I would like to eat dried, crunchy, endangered animals.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

sleipnir said:
Do you remember the Auntie Jack Show?

About June last year it was released on DVD (Region 4). Would you like a copy?

And if you don't want a copy, she'll jump through your modem and rip your bl**dy arms off!

Cheers! [upsidedown]

I would love to own a copy of "The Auntie Jack Show". Unfortunately, I live in the U.S. and don't know of a way I can play a region 4 (and I assume) PAL DVD.

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". TANSTAAFL!

I can play all regions on my DVD player - is it not common to change them in the US then?

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

You used to see get multi-regional DVD players in the US (mostly in mail-order or online catalogues), but they are hard to find. I have not checked lately.

Da mihi sis crustum Etruscum cum omnibus in eo.

You can't buy multi-region players in the UK anymore in standard outlets but you can find the code to tape in (when the drawer is open) to change them to Region 0.

I don't believe this is illegal in anyway, at least I do hope not...

It can't be, I have bought Region 1 DVD's in the UK, so that wouldn't make sense would it?

Fee

You can't buy multi-region players in the UK anymore

Can't you, that's rubbish. I paid about £25 for mine in Asda about 2 years ago and it plays everythinng you could want it to :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
&quot;Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.&quot; ~ Nietzsche&quot;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I bought mine in Comet about a year ago, and they told me they couldn't sell me a multi-region one any more, but they could give me the code to make it multi-region myself.

Fee

Hmm. If you type "multi-region dvd" into Google, you'll get about 217,000 hits. I might consider one, once my cheap VCR/DVD combo fails on me.

The multiregion problem is, for me, the easy part to solve. As many have pointed out, it is possible to convince a lot of DVD players they're Region 0. You just have to remember some manufacturers will void your warranty on the device, so don't make the change on a new DVD player.

The hard part of the problem, unless I miss my guess, will be convincing my wife I, living in an NTSC part of the world, have to have a PAL-capable T.V. Does anyone know that I won't? The last time I paid any attention to multiformat video equipment, VHS was king and the brave were investing in technologies like Pioneer's LaserDisc.

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". TANSTAAFL!

sleipinir:

The Pioneer Elite DV48AV apparently will play all regions, and convert PAL to NTSC (or ATSC 1080p via HDMI).

And Zenith makes a combination DVD and VCR (though the VCR is NTSC only). It will play multi-region DVDs, also.

No mention of Blu-Ray or HD DVD, though.

flapeyer:
Thanks, but I just bought a Panasonic Blu-Ray player, which on careful reading of the destruction manual I have learned will explicitly not play PAL discs.

Lightning:
It looks like without an investment of equipment I am not at this time prepared to make, I can't view that "Auntie Jack" disc. Can you tell me who's publishing the disc? Perhaps there's an NTSC version available or in the works.

sleipnir214:
If the DVD drive in your computer is region-free (there are many programs out there that will do this for you) or the DVD itself is region-free (easy to do if you copy a DVD - say with DVD Shrink) then you can watch it on your computer even if it's PAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back