Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Idioms Cliches Colloquialisms Etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
There have been a number of threads recently where some idioms have been used where the meaning was lost for some readers. I wish I could remember the most recent one that was a great example but alas, it is not to be. (Something about a gentleman riding a trolley? - UK origin)

My father was a significant user of many sayings. Most confuse me to this day (He is a Newfoundlander with all that that entails)

One of his more colorful expressions was regarding the consumption of spicy food. He would say "Boy, That'll sure cauterise the hemorrhoids" This example does not require any interpretation, context or cultural exposure. I've found myself to be quite entertained by some of the colloquialisms that are out there that have meaning withing a select group of people but none outside of it.

I am reminded of an episode of Star Trek TNG where an alien species can only communicate via metaphor.

I'm sure we've all got some good ones.

Lets hear them, and give us the meaning if necessary and where it might be used.

I expect that quite a few of these might come from Australia but that may just be a bias on my part.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

getting back to the "Cuts the mustard", I always thought that cutting something was to dilute it...
thus "cutting the mustard" would make it inferior to the original deal...
or I have it mixed up and twisted around... which is quite possible... btw. I do like the explanation that CC wrote...

"rough as a cob" - yep, I knew that one, having crown up in the southern states, I came across that one...

now about the Anglo-French dissing, don't worry they are also present in German, e.g. "English einkaufen" (Shopping the English way) means to steal something...

about the "the whole nine yards" Wikipedia has an interesting tidbit about it... ;-)

and Santa, we used the phrase "Ollie, Ollie oxen free", exactly like that during my child hood as well...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

One I often heard when growing up in Lancashire (particularly prevalent in the days before central heating) was:

Put wood in't 'ole, i.e. close the door.

Somebody who was deceased was said to have popped his clogs.

Re international dissing: correct me if I'm wrong Ben, but don't the Germans also have some colourful phrases involving the French? I'm told for example that, in some parts at least, a double bed is, or used to be, referred to as a French Bed, because two people actually sleeping together (as opposed to anything else which mught happen on a bed) was something so disgusting only the French would do it.

Tony

On a Jewish theme...

Like a pork sandwich at a Jewish wedding - out of place

Is the pope Jewish? - no kidding?

Jammy is one I'm familiar with. Flukey is a synonym of same.

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

getting back to the "Cuts the mustard", I always thought that cutting something was to dilute it...
thus "cutting the mustard" would make it inferior to the original deal...
That was my thought, too. Cutting the cheese, on the other hand, . . . <smurk>

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I always find Fluke to be an amusing piece of slang as they are also a manufacturer of electronic test equipment.

I really do not want my test results to be a "fluke" ;-)

Computers are like Air conditioners:-
Both stop working when you open Windows

I've always liked the phrase:

"You're not as green as you're cabbage looking"

Andy
---------------------------------
Zebracorn: 50% Zebra, 50% Unicorn = 100% Real.

Two expressions for extreme thirst:
spitting feathers - UK
dry as a popcorn fart - US (at least according to my wife).

For some strange reason, some people also use spitting feathers to mean angry. I'm not sure why.

Tony

To "throw your hat into the ring"

Curious on the origin of that one.....

"You don't now what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

I heard one this morning that is new to me. A couple of people were discussing a gentleman who always works behind the scenes, who gets very little recognition, but without whom the operation would fall apart. He was described as "the straw that serves the drink".

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

He was described as "the straw that serves the drink".

Sounds like a take off from the Reggie Jackson years as a NY Yankee. He once described himself as "the straw that stirs the drink".

Randy

Yep and after Reggie hit those 3 homers, he was the cat's meow !

Sam

spitting feathers - UK

I suspect that the origin is similar to the US expression, spitting cotton for extreme thirst.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Twon common one's that were used in my presence today.

Making a silk purse out of a sow ear - self explanitory Metaphor IMO

.... and Bob's your uncle. Meaning: .... and it's all done.

Meaning is clear but how it got there is a great mystery to me.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

kwb said:
Twon common one's...
I like the idea of an integer, "twon" that is between one and two. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

N1GHTEYES said:
For some strange reason, some people also use spitting feathers to mean angry. I'm not sure why.

I haven't heard that version, the one I usually hear is &quot;spitting chips&quot;. My guess is that it refers to chips of tooth after being punched, so you can imagine they'd be pretty angry!

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Santa,
I like the idea of an integer, "twon" that is between one and two. <grin>
I can see that one, but only whilst counting down... ;-)

Nigh

don't the Germans also have some colourful phrases involving the French?
yes they do... the only one that I can think of, is similar to the one in English, "auf Französich verabschieden" (take a french leave) means to disappear without saying "Good bye"...

referred to as a French Bed, because two people actually sleeping together (as opposed to anything else which mught happen on a bed) was something so disgusting only the French would do it
actually, the size of such a bed, lies between Queen size (140cm) and King size [180 - 200 cm) with a mattress size of a 160 cm... the origin as to why the bed is called French-Bed, is that the style was used in France for quite a bit longer before it hit Germany... but it is possible, that the explanation you've given, is correct...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

On that subject, WWII German Army slang for a Frenchman was Schneckenfresser (snail devourer).

-- Francis
The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office.
--Robert Frost

French Beds, can't say I've ever heard that one.

"Something so disgusting only the French would do it" is interesting too in that it implies the rest only share a bed for the 'other' purpose, sleeping apart in the normal course of events.

Perhaps that's why the French needed their 'lettres'!

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

==> actually, the size of such a bed, lies between Queen size (140cm) and King size [180 - 200 cm) with a mattress size of a 160 cm
That must be a twon mattress.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back