Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Most Loathed Cliches 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagon

MIS
Jan 30, 2002
GB
I've never posted in this forum before, but it seems like a suitable place for me to have a little rant about my most loathed expression and ask if you have any more nominations.

Here is mine: the ridiculous overuse of the word "unbelievable", especially by sportsmen. Every time I watch TV and I see there is going to be an interview with a sportsman, I have to run for the remote because I know it's only a matter of time before the dreaded word is uttered.

Italy won the World Cup ? Unbelievable ! Roger Federer won Wimbledon yet again ? Unbelievable ! I got a strike in ten pin bowling last night ? Unbelievable !

Quite why, in a sporting contest designed specifically so that someone will win, it is "unbelievable" when one of them actually does is something I've never understood.

I favour drastic action to eradicate the use of this word - a life time ban from giving media interviews for anyone caught using it in a context which cannot be proven to be genuinely unbelievable. Also, offenders must attend a compulsory re-education programme to be taught the difference between things which are really unbelievable and things which are merely good or slightly unexpected.

As my contribution to the course, here are a few examples of things which are really unbelievable:

a) people will start building homes on the surface of the Sun
b) a fish will write a thesis on quantum mechanics
c) the rich will start paying the same rate of tax as everyone else

Tim what does the J stand for?

----------

Steve Budzynski

"So, pass another round around for the kids. Who have nothing left to lose and for those souls old and sold out by the soles of my shoes"

Once in a lifetime" is one I despise. Do you know how many times in my lifetime I've been offered a "once in a lifetime deal"? Now a local theme park is advertising "Where once is a lifetime happens all the time." I cringe every time I hear it.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

My most GUT WRENCHING Cliche:

Soul Mates

WOW Does THAT get over used.

Best Regards,
Scott

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

The J in JC Penney is for James -- James Cash Penney.

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

I've got one I really hate.

"It just wasn't meant to be."

I mean, gag me with a spoon!

v/r

Gooser

Why do today
that which may not need to be done tomorrow [ponder] --me

Staying with sports...

"Instant Classic" - Oh that bugs me. Something isn't classic because you say it is!

"In theory."

This may just be in my shop, but I hear it at least once a day when questioning a coworker that is setting up a customer's system.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Here are some killers:

"I don't mean to steal your thunder, but..."

--yes you do, or you would shut your trap

"With all due respect, I..."

--uh-oh here comes the insult

"The good old days."

--When were the good-old days? The cold-war? WWII? The Depression? WWI? Reconstruction? The Civil War? How long ago were they? Were there ever days that really were good?

v/r

Gooser

Why do today

A few years ago everybody, I mean everybody, was going around saying "WAZZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPP???????!"
Remember that?
I wanted to kill.

If more than 1 goose are geese, why aren't more than 1 moose meese??
[censored][censored][censored]

git er done is not one of my favorites

----------

Steve Budzynski

"So, pass another round around for the kids. Who have nothing left to lose and for those souls old and sold out by the soles of my shoes"

Gooser, the cold war WAS the good ole days! I'll take a cold one over a hot one anytime!

If more than 1 goose are geese, why aren't more than 1 moose meese??
[censored][censored][censored]

back in the day was the good ole days

----------

Steve Budzynski

Nothing like the threat of nuclear annihilation to give you that warm-fuzzy feeling all over, right?

v/r

Gooser

Why do today

Tom Lehrer said:
We will all go together when we go.
All suffused with an incandescent glow.
When the air becomes uraneous,
We will all go simultaneous.
Oh, we'll all go together when we go.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

2ffat:

Actually "You can't have your cake and eat it too" is mis-quoted. The saying is "You can't eat your cake and still have it", which makes much more sense.

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Gooser,

To answer your:
Were there ever days that really were good?

I refere to the philosophy of William Martin Joel (Also known as "Billy") in his song "Keeping the Faith"

You know, the good old days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems.

And as for the question about seatbelts in the handbaskets: ROTFLMAO

that was a hoot.

Best Regards,
Scott

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

I know it's not a cliche per se, but one misused word literally makes me explode with anger (bang?)

Ceci n'est pas une signature
Columb Healy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back