Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I know the forum name is "Where is IT going in the next 5 years" - BUT 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestgulkan

Technical User
Sep 8, 2002
GB
The IT, computer and software industry has always been over
optomistic - so I will say 25 years time (just as I'm retiring).
This is what I expect/would like to see:

1. The death of landline (copper and fibre optic) modem.
Wireless (mobile phone) to rule.
However, requires humongous increase in mobile bandwith - maybe to 1 GBit/sec. Possible?
saves all that nonsense with different modem connectors
for different countries, etc..

2. The harmonisation of OS's - The browser will be the thing.
The OS will become browser based.
Maybe they will be many types of PC, with different CPU types - but they will run a common specification browser interface API. No more *ix, windows, Mac OS specific programming!
Bootup to the browser.
Javascript and java will evolve to be the common programming
languages.

3. IP V6 - will it take over by then???????????

4. No more driver disks/CD's.
Memory will be so cheap - peripherals such as printers & scanners will come with the driver(s) already in them.
True plug & play.

5. CHEAPER SOFTWARE !!
No more distribution of software on CD's.
The applications are on the web. Only user specific files
are stored locally. Access/payment is all part of the ISP package.

Well since we are talking about teleporters.

One thing I never understood about the teleporter was, if you have a teleporter why do you need a ships doctor? I mean step into the teleporter rip out or add what ever molecule tissue you need and be on your healthy way..

"did you just say Minkey?, yes that's what I said."

MrGreed

You probabily forgot that the replication process of the body is something we achieve everydays without noticing it, and it's how we get old. All the cells are regenerating themselves with more or less success, which cause body decaying. But your soul doesn't seem to change during the process does it? You become wiser though :)

If you're affraid of losing your soul during teleportations, you could always save a copy of your own soul on one of those atomic scaled hard drive before traveling, in hope that someone will be kind enough to reload the stuff using a good antivirus at the same time.

Anyway, the first two paragraphs mean one thing: key to immortality through different ways (storage of brain data or control of cells replication).

Hi
Check out Star Trek and that is where we will be in 25 Years.

You mean the very first episodes of Star Trek? Anyway, whatever you meant, you're not realistic in my opinion :)
We will have a very hard time to get to the stars.

Weeeel Sleida I'm not too sure about that. There was an article on slashdot the other day that was talking about an anti-matter drive.

Anyone remember Event Horizon :p

Aye, I don't believe in a soul either, but if someone made a copy of you, and then deleted the original - would you like that ? :)

Grenage, in "would you like that?", is "you" refering to the copy or the original? If the original is deleted "softly" (with no pain) and the copy is really the exact reproduction of the original, It wouldn't bother me...perhaps. I would say I would feel like waking up after a loud night party filled with many drinks.

But once, during an "instant of pure lucidity", I imagined myself undertaking surgery in order to have my brain implanted in the head of someone else. Quite thrilling! Actually, I felt a very very strong sadness because of the loss of the body I was born with. Was it narcicism? :)

To get back closer to the topic of this thread, let me tell you what I just saw on TV (Japan) just a few seconds ago.

They unveiled a new technology allowing a very thin touch-sensitive-display to produce sound almost the same way a speaker would do. The music produced wasn't loud though. I'm sure you're going to hear about it soon.

Still lurking at those cute cellphones that can take pictures and video...

We all cling to familiar things, since it would be the mind not the body that stayed intact you wouldn't lose too much :) I may just be a simpleton but in my eyes if was replicated and the orginal (me) deleted then I'd be dead and someone else identicle to me would exist - my opion at the moment, but probably too deep a topic and the wrong place to go into it here ;).

Aye speakers have come a long way, I saw some the other day that just looked like a 12 x 12 plane of glass hanging by 2 wires. Completely transparent with no visible workings and in a tiny size - damn impressive :)

Concerning the immediate next step from CD to DVD to ... The option is DVR according to manufacturers. As soon as they manage to reliably build cheap blue lasers (ie reliable enough to build on a line) then DVR's will start becoming moire popular. I believe the minimum requirement is something like 25-35 gig, but there have been sample made (two layer disc) of 50 gig. Basically the driving force here is trying to fit HD movies on a single disc, and beyond.
I'm betting the next step is holographic memory (3d glass cubes) and then a biomechanical drive.

As far as computers in general, there is already a handheld sized computer running 1Ghx processor, 10 Gb hard drive, win XP, internal 802.11 and bluetooth, etc etc made by a company called OQO. I have no doubt that we should see 50 to 80 Ghz machines the size of todays folding telephone in 25 years.

-Tarwn --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
For my next trick I will pull a hat out of a rabbit (if you think thats bad you should see how the pigeon feels...) :p

<Satire>

Ive been working on a new storage medium - DNA, the idea is that i can store 50 googleflops of data in my fingertip - only problem now is if i cut myself, that dna may be called into service to grow new tissue, and ill sprout new limbs and lungs.

And - in case anyone missed the article last year (I think) - we get gigabytes then terrabytes and then ... bubbabytes!! I'm not entirely certain of the spelling - this was returned from Long Term Storage - otherwise known as memory - but that name is just embarrassing! ;-)

Issac Azimov wrote in &quot;The Last Question&quot; of computers which form a vast web across the universe linked via sub-space connectors which form Multi-vac. Although somewhat advanced an vision the idea of linked computers via some sort of &quot;sub-space&quot; is a feature i would expect to see in advanced stages of usability in 25 year. Looking at current technologies entangle particular seem of offer this feature. Such tecniques would require huge installations, but were humans are distributed between planetoids they would become more practical to overcome radiowave's inherant speed limits.

Sean

>the idea of linked computers via some sort of &quot;sub-space&quot;...[]...Such tecniques would require huge installations

Not necessarily. Computers based on quantum theory technology may very well be able to instantly communicate with one another over vast distances. More scarily, they may be able to communicate rsults beforethey have actually claculated them...

Next 5 Years with IT.

In Operation company will remain 1 IT person for Information Service(IS) and A few IT teams in Global company.

All IT infrastructure will be out-sourcing
- Networking (LAN,WAN) include security.
- Desktop and Help Desk

IT person will due with Business Application.
such as ERP/CRM/SCM (70 %Business + 30 %IT)

So if you are young, Just direct to learn MIS(e-business)
don't mean only .dotcom but how to do business by using electrocnic format.

About Technology.
You still pay for speed and capacity issue for long life.
(You are victim of technology).

ICT(Information Compunication Technology) will work together

Centralize Concept will back to future such as
Mainframe.(test mode)

At the moment we have terminal service with citrix metaframe
to using as Application server (Graphic Mode)
so no new concept in 5 years only the technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back