Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I know the forum name is "Where is IT going in the next 5 years" - BUT 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestgulkan

Technical User
Sep 8, 2002
GB
The IT, computer and software industry has always been over
optomistic - so I will say 25 years time (just as I'm retiring).
This is what I expect/would like to see:

1. The death of landline (copper and fibre optic) modem.
Wireless (mobile phone) to rule.
However, requires humongous increase in mobile bandwith - maybe to 1 GBit/sec. Possible?
saves all that nonsense with different modem connectors
for different countries, etc..

2. The harmonisation of OS's - The browser will be the thing.
The OS will become browser based.
Maybe they will be many types of PC, with different CPU types - but they will run a common specification browser interface API. No more *ix, windows, Mac OS specific programming!
Bootup to the browser.
Javascript and java will evolve to be the common programming
languages.

3. IP V6 - will it take over by then???????????

4. No more driver disks/CD's.
Memory will be so cheap - peripherals such as printers & scanners will come with the driver(s) already in them.
True plug & play.

5. CHEAPER SOFTWARE !!
No more distribution of software on CD's.
The applications are on the web. Only user specific files
are stored locally. Access/payment is all part of the ISP package.

LOL... HAVING RESCENTLY WATCHED JASON X ...
...WITH ALL OF THEIR NANOTECH MEDICAL MACHINES (BUGS)...
THAT'S KIND OF A SCARRY THOUGHT... ;-)

Have Fun, Be Young... Code BASIC
-Josh Stribling
cubee101.gif

btw, in the matrix humans are used to convert low grade organics into energy ... microbes would have been a damn site easier to deal with ... none of this VR stuff ... and would quite easily have lived on even that deformed earth with no sun, or whatever it was.

also the microbes could have been engeneered to work much better on the organics that the humans could, to get the maximum power out of them with least wastage.

the best use of humans in that scenario would be to chop them up and feed them to the bacteria, if you let them live longer then they will just be wasting the chemical energy keeping their brains alive, and heart pumping.

if you're lazy / vengeful and in fact wanted to use humans you'd be much better off amputating everything they're not going to use, and break the spinal cord to stop anything from adversly travelling to the brain from the physical body.

Hmm ... i like the film, but it's one of those thursdays :)

or geothermal, or the ability to harness the terrific forces (wind, rain, storms) that are raging on the surface, or (being computers and not needing oxygen) removing (a lot of, not necessarily all because you need an atmosphere for convection of heat from moving parts if they want robots) the atmosphere and living under the sun ...

maybe cobol will be extinct. oops that was what they said 30 years ago. :)

No they didn't. COBOL was developed as a complimentary language to FORTRAN, which COBOL handling the business side of computing, leaving FORTRAN for the scientific side of computing.

It wasn't until PL/I came along that anyone said anything about a third generation programming langugage replacing or rendering obsolete another third generation language.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

COBOL - a computer langauge designed for clerks. Let clerks use it, then.

Works for me strongm, although I have to admit, the Move Corresponding statement is one, on more than one occasion I wish I had.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I hope to see computer prices drop majorly, you can get nice computers now for like 400 bucks with rebates. Id like to see it cheaper so maybe i can get a nice pc some time in my life :D

I would hope to see if not wireless atleast majorly fast internet connection speed. Perhaps wireless always on free service? Im sure out phone lines will no longer live because it will all be via phone through ip type deal. The computers could come with the chip it needs to connect to the plenthra of satellites across the world that will access are new world wide network.

maybe holagram screens? and voice comands. I deffinately see it very common for computer devices intigrated right into houses with voice commands.

New language you all talk about would probably be JUST THAT.. instead of speaking english you would speak in a gibberish that it would understand.

I see something happening with warez.. new technology and laws that really put a pinch on the pirates. Though im sure there will be ways around it.

and so on so forth. o.0

in the begining man created code.
in the end code will create man.
clones are coming only matter of time.
examples?

computers shouldn't cost less ... thats not the point of it. at least not as the computers we know now. you might have miniature devices like 'palms' and keyrings that can do all sorts of fancy stuff, and they're cheaper, but they don't _do_ as much. Look at laptops, they're still dead expensive even though almost all of the parts in them are produced for the same cost as the PC sitting on your desk (except the battery).

Holograms in air aren't gonna be that feasile, solid holograms (3d TV) in a special plastic viewing frame might come about, they have a lot of the technology to do that now, but on a small scale.

talking to computers sounds like a good idea, but even in star-trek the 'universal translator' was a big piece of kit that had to be carried in a star-ship, you couldn't carry it around (although you could carry remotes)

have you ever had a long distance conversation by VOIP? it's terrible, the packets are not necessarily ordered correctly and have gaps ... and if they have an accent it's almost impossible.

all computers accessing any satellite? it doesn't sound commercially viable, you'd have to have a huge excess of of bandwidth on each satellite and to send you'd need to have a dish, making a less portable system ... having something closer to mobile phone technology, where you connect to mobile phone networks might be more feasible, but also costly.

Hmmph ... it's monday and i'm grumpy.

PS. warez is illegal. If you released a product and paid a lot of people to work on it, providing them with jobs, food, clothing, and by doing so keeping secondary jobs going; keeping the economy alive and functioning: wouldn't you want people to buy the product, wouldn't you want to find some way to not have to fire employees, or move to far eastern countries where they have cheaper programmers, wouldn't you want people to appreciate the way that you're trying to make a living, and making people happy?
yes warez will always happen, but if you can, surely you should always be legal, it might even be your own future wages you're paying.

grumpy... yeah i can see this.. im grumpy to and i dont come here to get into a flame war so i wont bother responding, good day.

in the begining man created code.
in the end code will create man.
clones are coming only matter of time.
examples?

The pessimistic and cynical thought of the day:
As always, the IT is going absolutely nowhere ...
... because of the pesky human factor.

I explain: it takes less than 5 seconds for an email to reach its recipient. However, the average people will send a reply one or two days after or even later. Limitation of human pace and habits. The same goes for extra-solar exploration: why the hell spend a lot of dangerous time locked up in a tiny box surrounded by the scary void when you can enjoy the comfort and the beauty of your mother earth?

But to say frankly, in my early years I was fiercely hoping that one day I would be able to dive in cyber-space and that I would have the opportunity to walk on another planet. I was a Sci-Fi fanatic, really. But now that so much time has passed, my most pleasant feelings come when the wind gently plays with my skin as I'm quenching my thirst from the top of a green hill.

Code:
(|)(|)[\code]
[code]<=~x~>[\code]&quot; [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.humandesigner.com[/URL] & [URL unfurl="true"]http://www.helpbooster.com[/URL] &quot;

That wasn't a flame, it was constructive criticism!

Holographic displays would be nice, neural links would be nice (could allow percieved solid holograms that you can interact with), but visual holograms in air aren't gonna come, the laser displays that do holography spray a fine dust into the air and the laser reflects/refracts through the dust, but being in a room sprayed with dust to see 3d images doesn't sound like a nice idea to me.

computers as we know them will not decrease in value because the economics aren't in it. Intel will not lower the price of their chips, because they cost a hellova lot to make ... they say it costs the same to develop a cray super computer than it does to develop a PC, the difference is scale of deployment, crays might sell 10 ... but there is a minimum cost involved, and there is the profit margin, and costs needed to develop the next chip.

VOIP is cr*p ... unless they start putting in almost unlimited bandwidth, change the TCP/IP protocol so that packets have to arrive in the right order, or significantly reduce latency on networks: VOIP will not get much better.

they have talked about having low flying aircraft/automated drones/'weather balloons' in the sky to communicate with, rather than satellites, which might allow for what you're talking about, maybe ... and i like the idea of no ISP, which effectively you should be at if you have ADSL which is controlled by the exchange, not by ISP, you just pay an ISP for the privilege ... but you'll have to pay someone so 'ISP' will just migrate to a different object.

Pentium 4 chips were supposed to have been designed with enhanced voice recognition/speech abilities built into them. Can anyone tell me if these have been used extensively, if they have i will back down on this point ...

and warez is still illegal.

having said all this the BT future thinking committee came up with the year 2030 for artificial brains :)

Check Minority Report.
I read somewhere that they paid some of the worlds best thinkers and technicians from various fields to give thier visions and conceptualistation of the 'near future' and that's what they came up with.

Can anyone say 'Sick Stick'...
...Nasty!..
...and the Spam!

Dilettante, I'm sorry to be the one to break the news, but your worst fear, (re. Fridge Spam), is the vision of the future of some of the worlds leading minds.

We're always being told how Hiollywood is shaping our lives...

Hmmm, Please stop the Earth, I'd like to get off now...

Rhys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back