Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I know the forum name is "Where is IT going in the next 5 years" - BUT 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestgulkan

Technical User
Sep 8, 2002
GB
The IT, computer and software industry has always been over
optomistic - so I will say 25 years time (just as I'm retiring).
This is what I expect/would like to see:

1. The death of landline (copper and fibre optic) modem.
Wireless (mobile phone) to rule.
However, requires humongous increase in mobile bandwith - maybe to 1 GBit/sec. Possible?
saves all that nonsense with different modem connectors
for different countries, etc..

2. The harmonisation of OS's - The browser will be the thing.
The OS will become browser based.
Maybe they will be many types of PC, with different CPU types - but they will run a common specification browser interface API. No more *ix, windows, Mac OS specific programming!
Bootup to the browser.
Javascript and java will evolve to be the common programming
languages.

3. IP V6 - will it take over by then???????????

4. No more driver disks/CD's.
Memory will be so cheap - peripherals such as printers & scanners will come with the driver(s) already in them.
True plug & play.

5. CHEAPER SOFTWARE !!
No more distribution of software on CD's.
The applications are on the web. Only user specific files
are stored locally. Access/payment is all part of the ISP package.

Indeed, my moneys on a future very similar to the Jetsons ;)

Heck forget all of this, I want a car that flies and can take me from point a to b without me having to steer it or watch where I am going. Better yet, I want a transporter like they have in star trek and a galactic startship..Now were talking technology.. The funny thing is, I would guess that in the next 100 years or so we may actually have some of this technology...not transporters though..I doubt highly that anything like that could ever be made, but hey, nothing is impossible, and too add, food replicators so I can enjoy that steak in 10 seconds as opposeed to 30 minutes.

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

With more than 10 years experience to share.

And since everyone has done such a great job adding and imagining, I give everyone a star!!!
Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

This is a fun thread - and it will be interesting to see just what the future holds. Now, if I could just find my crystal ball Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Probably not in the near future, but transporters of some degree are definatly a possibility through quantum technology.

An artical talking about the technology now available
This artical again states that transportation, at least of photons has a success rate to 25%. This artical was written in 2000.

I haven't found anything from any creditable sources written recently, (ie this year), but I'd assume that scientists are still studying this and trying to improve it. Most articals I've read on this admit the technology is very new, and not well understood, even by the pioneers of the technology, but there is hope that they will be able to move atoms and even molecules in the near futur. Maybe in another couple centuries, this technology will have advanced enough to be useful.

At lest we can hope ;) I personally would love to avoid the drive to and from work every day.

Probably we will have hovercars or aircars available long before we can transport from point A to B. Even this would help, being able to take a stright route to where we want to go

Well, dying because of teleporter failure would be terrible...brrr...imagine reapearing after atoms of some of your organs have been lost in the process. People who have seen the movie "The Fly" will see what I mean.

Very good authors to read for good insights of the future:

Pat Cadigan
Gregory Benford
Dan Simmons ("Hyperion")
Joe Haldeman ("Forever War", nice insights in military technology)
Greg Bear (my favorite is "Forge of God" a delightful description of the end of our world)

Please, read them!

PS: sorry if off-topic

For those who are skeptical about the visions from Sci-Fi writers, there is a theory which stipulate that, to say it short, everything human beings can imagine is bound to exist in the future. According to the founders of this theory, human beings have the power to shape the universe little by little because the universe is in a quantum state, never finished. I've seen a scientific article that explained it very easily, but I can't find it again. Sorry for the clumsy english.

Anyway, here is a good place to read scientific news:

Its awesome.. The world we live in. But imagine where technolgy would be today if civilizations were not wiped out 1000's of years ago. Hmm.. But I must admit, technology we have today will be nothing compared to what tomorrows technology will become. There should be a new thread..advancements of technology and how sci fi plays a huge role in it. Set your phasers to stun..more of a fact today than anything.. Fuel Cells..who would of thought that Nitrogen could be used to create energy..and the bi-product is heat and water. Hmmm, a piece of fiber the diameter of a strand of hair and light passes through it for voice, video and data communications. The CD-Rom, DVD, whats next...Microdiscs that have greater capacity than a DVD.. Or a disk that is like a chip where you just lay it in a tray..it wont spin, but automaticaly transfers millions of characters of data with a flash of light. Hmmm...

Sorry..now I am letting my imagination run wild..Those guys who run this server must be enjoying the millions upon millions of posts that are on here..would be nice to get a comment or two from them someday...
Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

DrMarkGreen, more than one month ago I've started a thread called "High Tech party" (thread656-333266) I was quite surprised to see that nobody would participate. Now that I'm seeing that they are people interested with advanced technologies, I'm reassured.

Also it's sad that sometimes, even big companies fail to produce advanced devices that would use technologies that are available at present time. For example, why the hell do flat bed scanners, photocopiers and fax machines still use a mechanical device that slowly scan each line of the document when it would be possible to scan the whole document within a milisecond? Weird isn't it?

Sleida,

Talk to me about it! :)

It takes about a generations time before a product or a technology gets accepted! :) The internet was the fastest boom in a society but it remains mainly used by people below 25 years of age.

Think the average for a generation is 30 years. It will take that long before the net is completely part of our society.

Often a factor in equipement like scanners is the cost of creating such devices as well.

We have the technology to send anyone we want to the moon yet only a select few can go. Gary Haran

The 'Forever War' - my fave Scifi book
(Mind you I waited about 15 years for the sequel - which in my opinion stinks - the sequel that is.)

Closely followed by 'Hothouse' (Brian Aldiss)
and 'A World Out of time' (Larry Niven).

To the fans of "Forever War", would you believe me if I say I had the privilege to exchange a few emails with Joe Haldeman himself! It's quite easy to reach him anyway.

One thing for sure about transporters, if they ever made one you couldn't pay me enough to go in it. I'll take the stairs thanks ;)

To Grenage,

Being teleported would last a microsecond. Don't you think being suspended in the air during 12 hours or more in a plane isn't more frightening? You life depends on 4 reactors that can go awful at anytime during this long laps of time. There are even cases when the plane simply explose in the air without known reasons.

Well. there will be always people who will risk their life with a smile on their face because "time is money"!

And if anyone has read Michael Crichton's TimeLine ... let's not even go the time travel route!

:cool:

>Sleidia<
Surely teleporters works at the speed of light!!
The person being transported may think it happens instantaneously, but the observer would surely notice a
time lag.

Indeed, but having your body split into bits and bobs of energy, the only way I (and I think a lot of ppl) would get into one is if they knew the were going to die unless they didn't.

That said, if you went back in time and took a picture of a knight with a polaroid camera they would probably think you had stolen their soul or something. I guess it all depends on how well established a technology is and what you grow up with.

That said, how do you know that the person that materialises in the other teleporter is really you - not data copied. I mean sure he's exactly like you in everyway but after being split down into nothing and back again, would it really be you ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back