Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CONNECT 2 AVAYA IP406 V2 BETWEEN 2 SITES 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkondilys

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US
Hey Guys,

Anybody that can help or shed some light on best way to connect 2 avaya ip406 v2 units over a leased line? if I do this, and I have the vcm module installed, will employee at location A be able to reach employee at location B over the wan to avoid phone carrier costs? Any documentation would help!

Thanks

Yes in short.
It will give you the benefits of using the SCN (Small community Networking)

Features:
Supported SCN Features
Standard SCN Features

The following features are supported across all Small Community Networks:

User to user dialing

Absence Text/Call Tagging

Anti-tromboning

Hold

Transfer

Forwarding

Paging

Directed Call Pick-Up

Callback When Free

Conference

Ring Back

Directory
Inclusion of SCN users and groups in the DIR directory of each system. Directory entries are not shared.

User DSS/BLF

Voicemail Support - Centralized Voicemail using Voicemail Pro
Within a Small Community Network, a single Voicemail Pro can be used to provide voicemail services for all the IP Office systems. For full details of installation and setup refer to the Voicemail Pro documentation. The Voicemail Pro is licensed and hosted by a chosen central IP Office system and provides full operation for that system. Queuing on remote systems is not supported. The voicemail features supported for the other remote IP Offices are:
o

User mailboxes.
o

Call recording.
Recording of incoming call routes is only supported for destinations on the same IP Office system, not for remote SCN destinations.
o

Dial by Name.
o

Auto Attendants.
o

Breakout (requires that the numbers used are routable by the system hosting the Voicemail Pro).
o

Announcements (using IP Office 4.0 announcements, pre-4.0 announcements based on hunt group queuing are not supported.)

Advanced SCN Networking Features

IP Office 4.0+ allows a number of additional feature to be enabled by addition of a Advanced Small Community Networking license. The presence of this license allows the IP Office system to host hunt groups containing members from other systems ("Distributed Hunt Groups") and to host users from other IP Office 4.0+ systems in the SCN logging on ("Remote Hot Desking").

Advertised Hunt Groups
A hunt group can be set to be 'advertised'. This requires an Advanced Small Community Networking license. Hunt groups that are advertised can be dialed by users on other systems within the Small Community Network (SCN) without the need for short codes.

Distributed Hunt Groups
Hunt groups on a system can include users located on remote IP Office systems within the SCN network. A license is required on the system on which the hunt group is created and configured. A distributed hunt group can only be edited on the system on which they were created.
o

A license is not necessary on the remote system for distributed hunt group calls to be presented to hunt group members on the remote system.
o

A license is required on the remote system in order to view distributed hunt groups and advertised hunt groups as part of the remote systems configuration though they cannot be edited. Note also that such groups only appear in a configuration retrieved directly from a system. They are not saved as part of the configuration saved as a PC file and then reopened.

Remote Hot Desking
Users can hot desk between IP Office systems within the network. The system on which the user configured is termed their 'home' IP Office, all other systems are 'remote' IP Offices. To log on at a remote IP Office requires the remote IP Office to have a license. A license is not necessary on the user's home IP Office.
o

Note that when a user remotely hot desks, some users features normally provided by their 'home' IP Office will not work. For example call coverage and bridged appearance buttons will not operate while the user is logged onto a remote IP Office. For T3 phones the personal directory is not transferred with the user.

Breakout Dialing
This feature allows the user to select an IP Office system in the network from a displayed list and then dial a subsequent number as if dialing locally on the select system. This feature is triggered either by a programmable button or short code.

Note that both Distributed Hunt Groups and Remote Hot Desking are not supported for use with CBC and CCC.

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement (Aug 30th)

are you wanting to terminate the T1 directly into the IPO 406 at each side or will it terminate to a data router of some sort?

it will terminate at a router. site A has a router, & site B has a router as well.

make an ipline that points to that router (main site)
make an iproute like this

ipadres of the router

do the same for the other site

so it looks like

ipoffice -> router <------> router <- ipoffice

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

ok....so everything is setup as avaya says to use small community networking, but here is the question?
in order to dial an extension from site A to site B, can we use an avaya digital phone, or does it have to be an avaya Ip phone?

Thanks

You can use analog ,digital or ipphones
That is the great benefit of the ipoffice
The ip office does the conversion for you witch a vcm card (required)

wow..thanks peter. I try calling an extension at site b and my phone shows a disconnected message on the screen. is this a config issue probably?

Yes it is.

Did you made an ipline ?
Did you set a codec ?
Did you set an ipadres ?
Did you check voicenetworking ?

Did you make an iproute ?

So there are a lot questions

Can you tell what you did to do to try this make work

ok peter....

i added an ip line, line number 50, and outgoing group ID 3000
codec? do you mean the voip compression method? if so, yes. It's set to H450.
ipadres? yes if you mean the ip of the site b avaya
yes i checked voice networking
yes i added the routes.

Paul

Oke i little example

ipline 50

Line id incoming 50
Line id outgoing 50

Number of channels must be equal or less then vcm channels available

voip settings
gateway ipadres is the ipadres of the remote ipoffice

Compression mode must be set
G711 needs more bandwith but has better quality
G729 needs less bandwith but is less good then G711
H450 support set on H450

Check :
out of band dtmf
Allow direct media path
Voice networking

Check the iproute
It should look like :

IPadres of your vpn router at your location (or other device that controles the connection)

Do this at both sites and it should works
You can play with direct meida path turned on or off but it should work with on

Dont forget the ip line must be set up both on both 406's not just one also you need the shortcodes to point the ext's of the other 406 to the ipline, and all names ext no's etc must be unique on each system. Sounds like you have not set the shortcodes

ACS - IP Office Implement

You do not need shortcodes for users !!!
Only for groups

That is the benefit of SCN
The systems learn each other
That is why everything must be unique !!!

hey peter, all checks out fine just where you state to write
Line id incoming 50
Line id outgoing 50

Does this have to be the same on both site a and site b units?

On the other site you use a different ipline number and line id's
They can not be the same

Do you have a VCM installed in both systems? Your first message mentions only 1 VCM card.

Check with the monitor application if the IPOffice recognises the VCM card in both systems.
Open the monitor connect and watch the first few lines.
It should state VCM=... (not 0).
If you are running 4.0+ you could look at it easier using the SSA application.

yeah actually i have vcm's in both units, but now that you mention i used system monitor and noticed that site a didnt see the vcm card! we removed it, installed it properly and now the damn thing reboots constantly. i ran into this in the past and i think it has to do with running version 3.2(55) on the main unit.

Maybe you did not put it back in well ?
Look if the pin's are in correct !

If installed incorrectyl you may have damaged the VCM.
3.2 55 should not have to many issues

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
CCNA - Working towards.

I wonder why it does not learn the groups then! I know you can advertise but that is only on Advanced Networking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back