Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring router for DSL modem 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dajo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2001
US
I'm getting DSL from SW Bell soon, and I've read enough about the subject in various forums to know that I should be able to configure a system such that all my home computers can access the internet via one DSL modem.

What type of router do I need? What type of protocol must it support in order to let multiple computers address the same DSL connection?

Candidates are D-Link DI-704 (4 port firewall), and SMC Barricade SMC700BR. Both support up to 253 users - how is that possible with only 4 ports?

I'm also wondering about the D-Link DI-701, it only has a connection for the DSL modem and a connection for the computer (network cable, I assume), but it states:

"Plus, the DI-701 will allow up to 32 simultaneous computers to connect to the Internet through the same ISP account. It also employs Dynamic Host Configuration protocol (DHCP) to provide dynamic allocation of IP addresses for up to 128 clients on your network"

I'm confused about how this all works. Which should I get to allow my home machines to access the internet through one DLS modem and one ISP. Is my current NetGear 4 port hub for my existing home network of any use in all of this?

Thank you!

Hi MNwebdiva,

If you are using WinME on the machine connected to the DSL, you can use "Internet Connection Sharing" software that is built in to WinME. Click on the Start button, then Click Help, then type in "ICS" in the search box and WinME will tell you how to set it up. I'm running 3 computers (Win98 and a Win 95 + the WinME machine with the DSL) on one DSL connection with only a hub (no router) and it works fine.

If you have Win98, you will need sharing software like or or "i-share" by or likewise. I used i-share for quite some time at work, but it would lock-up every now and then, but the speed was not too bad. (ICS for WinME works much better.)

If you have a usb connection on your computer, and you do finally get a ethernet modem from your dsl provider, you can hook your computer to this router via USB.
The above router doesn't solve your problem though until you get an ethernet dsl model, but would allow you to hook up your pc to the router via USB.

Hope that helps,
Kevin

Hi MNwebdiva,

If you are using WinME on the machine connected to the DSL, you can use "Internet Connection Sharing" software that is built in to WinME. Click on the Start button, then Click Help, then type in "ICS" in the search box and WinME will tell you how to set it up. I'm running 3 computers (Win98 and a Win 95 + the WinME machine with the DSL) on one DSL connection with only a hub (no router) and it works fine.

If you have Win98, you will need sharing software like or or "i-share" by or likewise. I used i-share for quite some time at work, but it would lock-up every now and then, but the speed was not too bad. (ICS for WinME works much better.)

If you have a usb connection on your computer, and you do finally get a ethernet modem from your dsl provider, you can hook your computer to this router via USB.
The above router doesn't solve your problem though until you get an ethernet dsl modem, but would allow you to hook up your pc to the router via USB.

Hope that helps,
Kevin

I have used both the Linksys and Asante (FriendlyNet) routers, and prefer the latter. Better tech support, easier interface. Not much more expensive, and they have a rebate program going now. As for configuring: it's usually easy, but there are some tricks that the router tech folks can walk you through.
Good luck.
MJF

Speedstream / Linksys Home DSL routers - If you have a static IP address assigned by your provider then it is easy, If you don't and you have to use the Winpoet to connect then look for configuration of PPPoE. This gives the router the information that you use through Winpoet.

Make sure that connect on demand is enabled. This tells the router that when an internal system asks to connect to the Internet the router will check to see if a connection is active, if the connection has timed out through non use a new connection will be made.

There should be a setting on the router for the timeout period defaulting to something like 15 minutes. You can adjust the timeout setting with little to fear. Unfortunately, setting the time out to 0 will not guarantee you a static IP.

For the PC-Anywhere crowd just remember that none of the traffic is encrypted so it is subject to being sniffed / hijacked on the Internet.

Hello,

I have a question. I was reading alot of the responses of the people that post solutions for the SBC(pac bell) and linksys router setup. I have a question that is "Have any of you actually done this??" I am trying to do this and am not getting anywhere. I was wondering if there was someone that actually done this with a win 98 machines with a 5360 modem supplied drom SBC. I have a linksys 4 port router. SBC gave me the "Enternet 300" software to connect. Do I need to remove it/keep it? Does it affect the way the pppoe works?

Do I need to do something/install something else other than just put in the name and password for pppoe?

Any help will be greatly appreeciated.

Thank you

[noevil]

I have a SpeedStream 5360 DSl modem and dynamic IP address from SBC. I have attached a Linksys BEFSR41 V2 4 port switch/router between the modem and my Win2K machine. I have enabled the "connect on demand" and set it to 0. (Initially I had installed the EnteraNet software given by SBC but am thinking of removing that - as now my router dials not my machine). The MTU size has been set to 1400 on router. I use Cisco VPN to connect to company's intranet. Now my problem is: My VPN connection drops every 40 min. What is the solution?

Other questions:
Do I need any PPPOE service on my windows computer?
If I add the ZoneAlarm firewall, will that interfere anything else?

Any help will be greatly appreeciated.

Thank you
Sourabh

... One of the nice things about routers is the ability to remove the EntreNet (or any other) ISP software. They are "one-size-fits-all" and they don't always fit. The router takes over those chores of password and authentication. Plus you get NAT and multiple inside addresses.

I have seen ISP techs try for hours to get the EntreNet stuff to work. They even reformattted the customer's hard drive! I show up with a router and it's a go on the first setup.

Regarding drop-outs, there are multiple timers available to ISPs and may be embedded in EntreNet. They control timers for inactivity, log-on, session or connection time, etc. Usually not settable by the client.

Yours,
Mike, RCCD, CCNA

Sourabh1,

As MWM politely put it...dump the SBC software. I've had problems occur when using a router on a machine with their software installed. You no longer need it since the router handles the PPPoE connection chores. The VPN drop may or may not be related to the software, but doesn't your FSR41 have a 'Keep Alive' option? I don't know what the result of a zero second idle time is, but if it kept the connection alive, they wouldn't have an option for a keep-alive.

All's well that ends! (Programmers will understand)

Thet

Hello,

I am having the worst time here with Windows 2000 pro. I have a Win 95 machine, a win 2000 pro machine and a linksys BEFSR41 DSL router. The win 95 machine uses the router and accesses the internet fine, no trouble. The win 2000 pro machine is able to share files with the 95 machine and vice versa, but when I want the internet I run into trouble.

On the win 2000 pro machine, I run ipconfig/all and I get these results:

Node type : Broadband
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
The IP Address is the one my DCHP Table on the linksys router has assigned to my win 2000 pro machine (although the linksys router DHCP table doesnt seem to list the Client name, that field is blank, but it has to be the win 200 pro machine because the 95 machine Client name is the only other listed)
Same is true for good responses from the default gateway and DHCP server and DNS server are right for my SBC connection.

I am able to ping an IP from command line, but I cannot ping a host. I cannot browse to an IP or a host from IE, nor access email/mIRC or Telnet out of the box.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix it, and I am at my wits end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sefton

I have a Bell south dsl modem with 3 win 98 pc's and a linksys dsl router r
bell south uses a connection program which "dials" a number to connect the dsl modem how do I hook these up to share the dsl modem among the 3 machines.
I have the dsk connected to the wan port of the router and the ohter pc's in the other ports. Do I enable DCHP? I have machines set up as dynamic IP allocation.
I've done this with my home setup with a road runner modem no problem.

Oddly enough if I connect the modem to the uplink port then 2 machines can access the modem fine just not 3 machines?

Sefton, sounds like a DNS problem to me. As part of your DHCP configuration you should be getting the DNS info filled in. Especially since you can ping IP addresses but not using host names.

What's listed on your IPCONFIG under DNS??

dfstarman,

Your Linksys router now takes care of "dialing up" to establish your internet connection, so you don't need to run that software from the PC. You can enable DHCP for simplicity sake and let the router manage it, but if you're getting into internet games, web servers, ftp hosting, etc., I'd recommend against DHCP.

Good luck!

i have a smc barricade router. I am using it to connect to a usr external modem for dialup. it worked fine for 2 days and then stopped allowing access to the internet. it still dials the modem and connects, but none of the computers can get online anymore. the router seems to be working fine otherwise. i have tried everything i can think of and no luck. anyone know what might be worng? i am using windows 2000/XP, Thanks.

Thanks to this forum I am now connected via DSL and my dlink DI-704 using 2 computers to access the internet. I would like to add some detail on how I configured my router.
Thanks to all who have posted.

First, establish your dsl connection using only one computer along with the software and instructions supplied by your DSL provider. I used SWBell and for the one computer and they were great. I did have to change the ethernet port setting on my 10/100 card to 10 Full Duplex because the DSL modem is only 10 MegaBits. The sales person said I could connect multiple computers and he was right.
One of the support folks said he was wrong and shouldn't have told me my DLink would work. Some of the support folks I called for assistance connecting the router were not helpful. Because a couple of the support folks were very, very nice I won't bad mouth the ones that were useless. I'll try to be very detailed on the equipment I have and I'm sorry if they don't match your setup.

My equipment:
IBM compatible PC exceeding the minimum specifications
required be SBC, DLink Model DI-704 Firewall/Router with
4 ports. The DLink unit has 1 WAN (Wide Area Network)
port and 4 10/100 auto sensing ethernet ports for my LAN
(Local Area Network) and it was previously connected to my
Road Runner Cable Modem (no longer needed)
Efficient Networks SpeedStream 5360 Ethernet ADSL Modem
(Supplied by SwBell)

Again, establish your dsl connection using a single computer first and then setup your network.

Disconnect the ethernet cable going to your computer that
comes from the DSL Modem. Plug the ethernet cable into
the DI-704 on the side that has 4 ports. If you have only
WAN and LAN ports because you have only a simple router
like the DI-701 then plug it into the LAN side.
Connect the WAN port on the DI-704 to the ethernet port
that says 10Base-T on the 5360 DSL modem.

Bring up a Browser (Netscape, Opera, Internet Explorer or
whatever browser you normally use) and login to the router.
Typically this is done by entering the URL on the address
line that applies to your router. My DI-704 uses

You should see
DLink DI-704
Web Configuration

(lots of blank space, then at the bottom)

System Password [ ] Log In

Supply the password given by DLink or the one you use if
you have changed it. You should see a screen with lots of
information and Log Out at the bottom, don't log out.
Select from the bottom options Setup
The next screen had 4 lines before I made changes.
First Line Ip Address 192.168.0.1
Second Line WAN Type Dynamic IP Address [ Change ]
I selected Change on line 2 and found PPPoE on the
next screen, selected it and then pressed the Save button.
After selecting PPPoE my screen had 9 lines and line number
3 and 4 had account and password selections so I entered;
PPPoe Account userid@sbcglobal.net
PPPoe Password mypassword
The userid and password were established earlier during my
configuration on a single computer. I saved the information
and it told me I had to reboot (not my computer but the
router) I pressed the reboot button and it came back with
the dsl service I wanted. It's all now dynamic and I don't
have to do anything and my EnterNet300 software is not
needed because the DI-704 does all the work. Smooth...

crazyd43

I had the same problem with SMC 7004ABR and USR courier, contacted SMC tech support and they suggested an initialisation string but didn't say why to use one. Looking on the SMC support FAQs it says the barricade must use flow control and to use at&f1 (hardware flow control) or at&f2 (software flow control). Tried these but it didnt work until I found DIP switch 10 set to on underneath the modem, it forces setting to at&f0 (no flow control. Turning the switch off and using at&f1 cured the problem. I guess you will need a fully connected modem lead for hardware handshaking to work.

I have a Speedstream 5360 DSL Modem & Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless access point version 2. I am trying to use the router to connect to Southwestern Bell ADSL like everyone else. I am able to connect through a single computer using Ethernet 300 software provided by SBC (PPPoE).

However when I try to have the router connect I get a "Cannot find a PPPoE server" message. I have done all of the normal checks to make sure that I am not doing anything stupid like mistyping a user-name or password. I have performed a hard-reset on both devices and no change. I have even talked to Linksys to the point where they admitted the have "no solution". I am beginning to think that maybe there is a problem with the WAN side of the router. Again, I have no problem connecting using the Ethernet 300 software. It's just when I try to setup the PPPoE on the Linksys router is when the problem comes along.

Is there any know problems of this particular router not working with the Speedstream 5360 or SBC in general? Anybody every done this exact configuration. I should also let you know that I have upgraded to the latest firmware and that showed no difference.

Very simple configuration that has left me scratching my head.

Figured it out. With this particular router and modem there is a specific order that you must do everything. Start with all devices powered down. If you don't doe everything in this order it will not log on correctly. I think that the 5360 must store the user name & password or something fishy. It's real sensitive and here it is:

1. Connect all cabling (phone, ethernet, power)
2. Setup router configuration (user name & password)
3. Reset router to apply settings
4. Power up cable modem
5. Everything should connect

Sounds pretty simple but if you configure the router with the cable modem powered up and attached then it won't work. If you reset the router without cycling the power on the cable modem afterwards it won't work. It was not this way on the 5260 but the 5360 is different. You have to cycle the power on the modem you cannot just connect it after you have configured the router. Hope that this may help someone in the future cause I know Linksys won't.

hallo everyone. i have a sbc speedstream 5360 dsl modem and a linksys 10/100 base 4-port hub, and i am trying to connect two computers together to share the internet connection. the problem i am running into is that there is only one input on the modem, and each computer only has one ethernet card. after going through the networking setup on win me, which went well enough, we cannot get the internet going on either computer. port 1 on the hub is for an uplink, which is where the modem is plugged into, then the other two computers are in ports 2 and 3. what step am i missing? do i need to install a second network card on one of the computers and try a different network setup? any help is greatly appreciated.
thank you for listening.

You stated that you are using a Linksys 10/100 Base 4-port Hub. Is it a hub or a router? What is the model number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back