Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring router for DSL modem 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dajo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2001
US
I'm getting DSL from SW Bell soon, and I've read enough about the subject in various forums to know that I should be able to configure a system such that all my home computers can access the internet via one DSL modem.

What type of router do I need? What type of protocol must it support in order to let multiple computers address the same DSL connection?

Candidates are D-Link DI-704 (4 port firewall), and SMC Barricade SMC700BR. Both support up to 253 users - how is that possible with only 4 ports?

I'm also wondering about the D-Link DI-701, it only has a connection for the DSL modem and a connection for the computer (network cable, I assume), but it states:

"Plus, the DI-701 will allow up to 32 simultaneous computers to connect to the Internet through the same ISP account. It also employs Dynamic Host Configuration protocol (DHCP) to provide dynamic allocation of IP addresses for up to 128 clients on your network"

I'm confused about how this all works. Which should I get to allow my home machines to access the internet through one DLS modem and one ISP. Is my current NetGear 4 port hub for my existing home network of any use in all of this?

Thank you!

i have a speedstream 4060 dsl modem, and i want to connect a linksys 1 port router, is this possible?
pls help me thanx.

The speedstream 4060 can't be connected to the linksys router for 2 reasons. (1) It requires a USB interface, which the router doesn't have. (2) The 4060 requires software drivers installed on your computer that allow your modem to sync up to your service provider, therefore, it can't be run through the router, but must be directly connected to your computer to function.

I used the 4060 for about 6 months, and have never experienced a single device that caused so many problems. If you use your computer to mainly surf the internet, manage your finances, etc... you may experience little or no trouble from the 4060 drivers, but if you are always installing (and uninstalling) new programs, using any form of internet connection sharing, playing LAN games, etc... get use to reinstalling modem drivers alot.

When I finally got my speedstream 5260 about 9 months ago, all my problems (even some I didn't know the 4060 were causing) went away. You don't even have to install any drivers, the cause of all the problems, for this modem.

Anyone have any experience using the westell dsl modem from swbell and the linksys dsl router?

First of all, very helpful thread!!!

Simple Y/N question: If the ISP uses WinPoet for authentication, then the Linksys router can replace the software with its own authentication. Is this a valid statement?

I have a dsl account with bellsouth, they provided me with a speedtouch usb dsl modem. but i recently bought a speedstream 5260 on ebay, unfortunatly it came with no software,so my question is how can i dial-in with the 5260 on my lan?? (ps. all green lights on 5260 are lit and i telneted the 5260 and came up fine..)what should i do??

The 5260 is a dynamic ethernet modem. You should be able to install winport 2.0 to access the dsl modem. Here is a site on the modem.

Here is a site on how to install.

Heres a site you can download winpoet.

Good luck !!!
Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

hi well im getting the speed stream 4060 for free from my internet provider, and i also have a Linksys wireless/dsl router w/ 4 port switch. so i have 3 printers connect to the 4 port switch and 4 pc's on the wireless network, now how would i go about sharing the DSL line with the other pcs like routing it through my comp. should i use software to do this?

I'm running PacBell DSL, Alcatel DSL modem, Linksys BEFSR41 router/switch, two Win98 systems ... all works fine to share the single DSL connection.

My question has to do with sharing resources between the two Win98 systems. I can't get the two systems to see each other using Windows Family Logon (is that what it's called?) in order to share files and printers. Sharing is turned on for the devices and drives. What else do I need to do to enable resource sharing?

What have I forgotten?

TIA, Bart Fong

Hey everyone,

Thought I would join in with a question. I have a small network with SWBell DSL connection. I had two network cards in one machine and was connecting fine but for security reasons as well as internet connections sharing, I opted to use a LinkSys 4 port router. I connected the router to my hub and set it to assign IP address automatically. That all works fine. All my machines see each other. Now the DSL side.
I made a phone cable long enough to put the DSL modem in another room. I checked the cable with a phone and the phone did get a dial tone. The DSL modem got the three lights that it is suppose to get also. When I connect the DSL modem to the router I get a link light on the router. When I access the router via IE to configure it I use PPPoe to connect, enter the user name and password then go to connect and I keep getting this PPPoe authentication failed error. Anyone have any idea why my router is not connecting to the DSL network. I of course am not getting an IP address assigned to my router. I have it set to obtain one automatically and that is the way the DSL account is set up. No static IP.

Did you enter the IP's for your DNS servers on the router configuration page?

No, it was my understanding that the IP was dynamically assigned by SWBell to the router. I am in a peer-to-peer environment running win 98 so I don't have a DNS server. I also thought the router handled the passthrough for internet connection sharing automatically but I could be wrong. If the tables have to be populated then please explain why and what needs to go in there considering my environment.
Thanks for your quick response.

I mean the ones provided by your internet service provider. For SWBell enter 151.164.1.8 and 151.164.1.7 under DNS on the router configuration page.

OK. By the way, where do you get that info? Contact them or is there a way I can get it myself?

One more question.

Will PC Anywhere 10.0 work through my router and if so is there special config to do?

If anyone out there has used PC Anywhere through a router please tell me how you did it. Is there a better alternative than PC Anywhere for multiple PCs to access a file on a single PC through DSL or Cable network? Security is an issue. The machines are all 95/98 first edition machines.

does anyone have a good sharing solution if you have a dsl modem with only a USB connection. I was wanting to use one of the dsl/routers, but I'm not sure how since they all use ethernet connections for the modem. I have the di-701 by the way (an unfortunate friend has the usb modem) and it works great connected to a nice switch.

I have a Pacific Bell DSL connection on one computer and want to share it with the other PC. I bought a Netgear RP114 4 port router to do this but nothing works...Can someone please help me out.

I do not have a static IP address - Is it POSSIBLE to share DSL still ???

I use the DI-704 for my home network which consists of 2 Windows 2000 Pro machines, 2 Windows 98 machines, and 1 Linux machine. All of them access the Internet through the DI-704 no problem. You can use a regular hub with Sygate to do the same except you would not get the additional feature of the natural firewall that the DI-704 offers. Plus it is a hardware firewall so you are not using computer resources to set up a software firewall. There are also other Gateways you can use such as the ones from SMC which have the added feature of print server. The Linksys 4 port implementation has an up-link port which is also useful.

I have also installed the DI-707 in an office environment. They have 2 DI-707's, one in their main office and one in a satallite office. I wanted to connect the 2 offices using the VPN features of the DI-707 but they did not want to pay $30/mo extra for 2 Static IP address. So what I did is I installed a FTP server in both offices (and an FTP client in both offices) and got them a free domain name from and now both offices can transfer files between them with little problem, and when ever the dynamic IP address changes it is automatically updated at using a little program called KVTek's PostPro. This implementation works GREAT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back