Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Car Colours 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosieb

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2002
GB
I just had a bizarre conversation with a car salesman (nothing new there) he asked my preferred colour, I said that I quite liked the "Bronzy" coloured one.

After a long discussion we established that the official colour was "Galaxy Grey" (ummm, it's brown with sparkly bits).

He then said "we do have a bronze colour, it's black with... at this point I gave up.

Next, I suppose that black is "Midnight White"

Rosie
"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." Richard Feynman

We bought our first Land Rover Freelander in 1999. There were many choices of colour and we went for "Epsom Green" which was a really dark metallic green - perfect for the look of the car or so we thought.

There was another colour, a sort of khaki. I can't remember what the official name was, but the salesman said there wasn't much call for "Bosnia Green

My wife's jeep (the one that she totaled) was a "gunmetal grey". It was a pretty color; it was a metallic dark blue with black trim.

My truck is white. Just white. Well, and dirty... dirty white. When the winters are 6+ months long, it's hard to get time to wash it.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I prefer the simpler named colors:

Midnight Blue (dark dark almost black), used to have a Merc that color.
Candy Apple Red (on old muscle cars), left over from the 70's I suppose.
Mother of Pearl White (for the older luxury cars), dito on the 80's.
Matte Black - for my day to day car, no worries color, get a scratch, walk into a shop get a can of spray paint, voila fixed.
and Black for my Hog (motorcycle), cliche but I like fat black bikes.

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I had an old Ford that was Autumn Bronze - very popular in the mid 70's. A '90 Mazda was Steel Gray Poly (charcoal gray). My '07 Corolla has an Indigo Ink Pearl exterior (dark metallic blue). They don't have a dark blue this year.

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

Inthe 60's my parents special orderd a car that was supposed to be seamist green. The paint chip looked like a light metallic green. When the car arrived it was a muddy gray. They had to take it 'cause they had special ordered it, but they hated that car from day one.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

Toyotas are all in one colour now so that body shops don't have to stock too many different paints.

They are expecting a run on Toyota repairs 'cos of brake/throttle problems :)

I really really really really miss my Verdoro Green '68 Firebird.

Been eyballing the new Camaros pretty hard - they have a garnet/burgundy(?) color that slays me.

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

Whatever happened to
Henry Ford said:
Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black.

Have fun.

---- Andy

Dont forget all the "Pearl" colors. Nice shimmering effect.
My 98/2000 Dodge Ram 1500 I was told was a pearl white, not just plain white. Well, it looks plain now, but someone threw some gunk on it, and the clear coat has eaten away where I cleaned it.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

I had a Toyota Tercel of 1982 vintage that was pearl gray.

Advantage - it doesn't show the dirt from a distance.
Disadvantage - other people can't see it very well in the rain, as my father found out when he was t-boned while driving my car during a thunderstorm (the law in Louisiana now requires your headlights be on when driving in the rain).

I've had red cars (red fades badly in the intense summer heat); black (scratches show up); and my current car is white (shows the dirt, esp. in winter).

Wish I could have an old DeLaurean - stainless steel body that you clean with steel wool.

-- Francis
I'd like to change the world, but I can't find the source code.

Wish I could have an old DeLaurean - stainless steel body that you clean with steel wool.

Not to mention the time travel option!

And possibly the optional kilo of coke. But you may have had to pay extra for that...

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

And then there were the Mopar colors of the 70's...

From Dodge...
[ul]
[li]Sublime[/li]
[li]Green Go[/li]
[li]Go Mango[/li]
[li]Banana[/li]
[li]Panther Pink[/li]
[li]Plum Crazy[/li]
[li]Hemi Orange[/li]
[/ul]
From Plymouth...
[ul]
[li]Limelight[/li]
[li]Sassy Grass Green[/li]
[li]Vitamin “C”[/li]
[li]Lemon Twist[/li]
[li]Moulin Rouge[/li]
[li]In Violet[/li]
[li]Tor Red[/li]
[/ul]
I once had a '66 Ford Mustang that was in "Signal Flare Red". I called it "Write Me a Ticket Red".

No idea of the offical colour of my car. Last time I cleaned it, it was a dark metallic red / burgandy, not sure if it is still that colour, may of changed in the last 2 years.

My kit car was a classic British Racing Green and yellow, but then I sold it :-(

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Mine is Alfa Red. When the salesman asked what colour I wanted I did think he was being daft. Surely an Alfa ought to be in Alfa red always!

(As an aside, I added my girlfriend onto my car insurance yesterday - she's a few years younger than me and so I assumed this was going to cost me plenty. But, apparently her career makes her less of a risk than me, so actually I got an insurance refund from adding her to the policy. Now I'm pleased about the money, but slightly disgruntled as to the reason.)

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Fee, I didn't know you could add a non-relative to an insurance policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back