Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Straight out of college, what to consider before buying a car 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkrav

MIS
Jul 26, 2006
US
I just landed my first job as a reporting analyst at a small healthcare company. I currently drive a Honda, and it is the same model that my manager drives (however he has a family, it is the 4 door family sedan, whereas I am single and want something sporty). I was thinking about getting a new vehicle, possibly a Volkswagen Jetta/GTI or Volvo S40, priced around the mid 20's. My Honda got me through college, and has some visual blemishes and smells of smoke, but now that I quit smoking I want something tasteful and respectable but not flashy. Should I be worried about sending the wrong message when I show up to work driving a car that is worth 5x more than my boss's? What other issues deserve consideration before purchasing your first car (as it relates to how it will affect the way you are perceived at work)?

... it's a straight-6 4 liter engine with fuel injection"

Lol I do have to laugh. No offence, but is it impossible to make powerful, fuel efficient engines in the US?

I think it comes down to differences in whats required from a car.

In Europe (and Japan) fuel prices are relativly high and the roads narrow and twisty, this is why we make efficient engines and good sports cars.

In US, you have Loooooonnngg straight, wide roads and cheap fuel, so economy and cornering is not so important.

That's my 2p worth anyway...

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

I agree Stu.

American cars corner like shopping trolleys! And I'm getting a little cross with paying 98p a litre. I get all excited when I find something for 92p a litre!

(And I think even 92p = £4.18 a gallon which is about $7.95)

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

What really pee's me off.10 yrs ago Diesel was cheaper than petrol, so everyone moved to Diesel for economy and cost then the prices was forced up above unleaded! Grrrr

Stu.. 2004

Fee,

92 UK pence per litre currently works out to only $6.62 per US gallon (Google can do that conversion).

But prices for us are dropping somewhat - the cheapest around New Orleans that I can see is $2.669 per gallon, which is 37.0838481 pence per litre.

And Stu, you are correct, diesel is at least as expensive as unleaded regular. But they do get better fuel economy. I wouldn't want one, because the maintenance is a headache.

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

Wait a sec... I did a quick google search and
100 pence = 1 pound - how does 92 = 4.18?

Lunatic

4.5461 Litres / Gallon (Uk)

92 * 4.54 = 4.182

Stu.. 2004

If your interested

Uk Gallon = 1.2 US

US Gallon = 0.83 Litres

Stu.. 2004

Okay, that makes more sense. I didn't realize that it was that big a difference between liters and gallons though. However I still would have been confused because I didn't make the connection in my head.

Yeah I calculated using UK litres price to UK gallons price. Sorry for any confusion.

(I got VERY excited yesterday when I found a petrol station at 89.9p a litre - sad innit!)

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Fee,
if you need to feel calm, just go and look at the price of BP ultimate, still over £1 a litre....

Stu.. 2004

....just go and look at the price of BP ultimate....

Interesting, that... since BP bought Amoco (British Petrolium bought Amoco/American Oil Company)

.... price at the BP coming thruogh Cloquet, MN the other day was $2.55/US Gallon (that was for 87 octane).

Interesting that BP is so much higher in their own country than here.....

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

ALL fuel in the UK is more expensive, it's something like 80% tax. Remove that and it's some of the cheapest in the world !

Grrrrrr

Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back