Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can ping network connections but cannot access internet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrendiego

Technical User
Dec 11, 2001
US
Hello,

I am using a router to connect a small network of computers to a DSL connection.

On one of the computers I can ping the gateway, the router, and the other networked computers but when I try to connect to the internet, there is no success.

This worked at one time but now it isn't. I have reinstalled the current drivers for the network card as well as reinstalled the DSL software.

Has anyone seen this problem before? There are only 3 computers connected at this time to the network and all other computers can access the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darren E
Eb/No Studios
Audio & Grapic Design

Hi all,

A Win XP Pro can ping IP and host names but cannot browse or send/receive email. Its in a peer to peer network with gateway 192.168.0.1 and DHCP enabled. This network have all computers (OS from 98 to 2000 pro to XP Pro/home) working normally except this one computer. settings on problem computer are 'Obtain IP Automatically, Obtain DNS servers automatically'

If any one has any clue, please post.

your service provider would have changed the dns search order or might have changed the ip's of the dns servers .you pls check with ur isp for the dns search order.i am sure there is some problem with the dns.
regards,
deepak,
broadnet convergent technologies.

Darren, Why do you have DHCP for WIns enabled. Quiet brain or I'll stab you with a Q-tip

Darren

If you are using We-Blocker (web content filtering software) that will continuously reset your proxy to 127.0.0.1 on port 6711.

I am not sure how to change that without stopping We-Blocker.

Email me at the address here (disguised to stop web crawlers picking it up) if this is the case!

pc Admin @ mr-seal. fsnet . co uk

Sorry, that last message was for regjoe1kne (Visitor) not Darren.

And you can easily configure We-Blocker to tell it that it is behing a proxy (so you change THAT setting not IE proxy setting which stays at 127.0.0.1:6711).

Hope this helps someone!

Ralph

I have this same behaviour on a Unix (SGI IRIX 6.5) system.

Can ping locally and within my intranet (by name or by IP), have correct gateway, DNS servers, proxy, etc. but can't access the internet.

Any help would be appreciated! ::)

(check out thread59-355968 for details)
Genius begins great works,
LABOR ALONE finishes them.
- Joseph Joubert

Well, let me tell u about the last 4 hrs. It's disgusting, aminly because it took me so long to get this running. Here we go:>[ decided to finally get a another table for my other pc's; went to Sam's club and got a hard plastic 6 ft table and placed 2 pc's that been sitting around since I moved to denver... had to delete ez-bios first, what a mess!, then format the c: drive and install windows98se...
got that done, installed some games, aoe2 & exp. pk.,, now the networking part >>>>>>>>>>> aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
1. added 2 nic to pc connected to cable modem
2. assigned it an ip address 192.168.0.1 ff.ff.ff.00
3. set up ip on other pc 192.168.0.2 ff.ff.ff.00
4. rebooted, of course, remember?... windozzzzzz
5. all right!!!! now lets ping each other, no sweat! right!
of course NOT!!!
6. can't see shared drives, ooopppss! forgot netbeui, install that, reboot, oooppps network not installed!? what? too soon! wait! there!!! i can see the shared directries, now ping! ugh! nope!
7. i can ping from the pc connected to the cable modem, but cannot from the other pc connected to the 2nd nic
8. what's the problem?! hmmm, tried to install ICS first,reboot then nat32, reboot,then vicomsoft surfbuddy, reboot, to no avail, then rebooted again!
9. nat32 worked the best, at least surf from the original pc w/cabledem, hmmmm not exactly what i planned
10. so maybe nic card bad, but can see drives via netbeui, so no hardware problemo...
11. ok after about 1.5 hrs i started searching the web and found a mention about zonealarms, i turned off ZA and tada! there is ping-age!!! so something in ZA, had to add nic from other pc to trusted zone, plugged in its ip address
12. now pinging, sharing drives but cannot connect to internet
13. since i didn't want ot go and buy anything, being cheap and severely financially stretched, i reinstalled ICS and got it working finally with both nics in the pc connected to the cablemodem, uhhhhmmmm, supposed to work like that, but had problems, again into ZA for some tweakage, lowered internet security zone from high to medium and trusted zone to medium ... added private nic 192.168.0.1 to trusted zone
14. installed ics client file again.... checked nic address 192.168.0.2 ff.ff.ff.00 so same subnet, same workgroup, still could not get out to internet from 2nd pc...:>{
15. finally checked the dns address of nic in 2nd pc and made it 192.168.0.1, same as 2nd nic in pc connected to cablemodem... so nic in 2nd pc used 2nd nic in 1st pc to route traffic to internet... finally worked!!!!!!!!!!
ghost time.... image these disks ... c ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[cheers] Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832); German poet, dramatist.

Thanks to Peanutsmm for his solution to my problem which has turned up recently on two machines running W98SE - much appreciated !

To all win95/win98/winME people with internet conectivity problems (ie unable to browse the web):

Peanutsmm has given the answer that will solve 95% of affected peoples problems.

Just scroll up....print out a copy and do it.

Solved my issue!

Turned out to be a poor switch connection.

I could ping packet sizes up to 330 bytes, but lost them after going higher. This is why browsing didn't work, but ping and nslookup did (very small default packet size). Try forcing a higher packet size.

UNIX:
Code:
 ping -s 1500 any_ipaddress_or_name

WINDOWS:
Code:
 ping -l 1500 any_ipaddress_or_name

Network guys moved me from a 10Mbs/half switch port to a 100Mbs/full duplex card and all issues are solved!

Thanks for a great thread!

Chris ::)
Genius begins great works,
LABOR ALONE finishes them.
- Joseph Joubert

If you use any firewall software, turn it off...Ive had a problem with firewall software messing up DNS...

The registry / TCP/IP fix provided by peanutsmm in this forum ROCKS. I've used it twice now with success.

Thanks a lot!

Scott

Hi.
I don't know if you can help me but I'm getting to the ragged edge on this.
My setup is three home PCs, running NT, W98 and W95, using Internet Explorer, connecting to the net via an SMC Barricade 4-in-1 router/DHCP server/firewall/print server.

I've just recently rebuilt my main PC with W2K. Up until the rebuild it was the one running NT4, but Drive Image lost my data. It's now a new fresh build with nothing special on it. I usually connect to the net using LAN settings and have DNS enabled so the SMC delivers TCP/IP numbers out. My home page is set to the TCP/IP number of the router so I get it's admin page , and then any of the family can hit the dialup button and we can all connect at the same time. I don't have cable or broadband, so am using a 56k V90 external modem connected to the router.

Since the rebuild I cannot get the W2K box to see the router IP address, it only comes up with a 'This page cannot be displayed' error. I can ping any of the machines on the LAN, including the router, but simply cannot see the router in IE so therefore cannot connect to the internet.

I'm typing this on my son's PC upstairs going through the same router, no problem. My settings, as far as I can determine, are identical to the other machines.

Only difference, apart from the OS, is the W2K machine is running IE5, not IE6. I looked at how to remove IE but couldn't find out how. And I'm wary of removing it any other way in case I really muck it up.

I'm just so frustrated.

If anyone can throw a little light on this, I would be so very grateful.

Tosh
:-(

Thanks A Mill - peanutsmm

I have been reloading, reconfiguring, researching, removing, etc. for over a week now. I could ping addresses but not names. DNS was simply not working - making internet surfing a no go. Your suggestion was the answer to my WIN98SE DNS blues. Thanks again

peanutsmm IS the solution!
same story, single win98se machine via a modem: connects to the ISP, gets an IP, DNS details filled, OK to ping out but no joy on the Internet, even using IPs, no telnetting on port 25 either; followed peanutsmm's way and restored!
Symptom occurred out of the blue, Kazaa had been installed for a while with no problem. I DID GET a blue screen issue the day before it happened though...

peanutsmm, you are the man!

I had a Win 98 customer using dialup networking not able to get to the Internet. IE kept telling her Unable to Open the Search Page, but yet I could ping her, she could ping IP but not named addresses and she could not telnet to anywhere. I did your registry trick as well as removing DUN, everything else in Communications in Add/Remove Programs and everything in the Network settings with plenty of reboots inbetween and she is now up and running.

NOTE: It is always a good idea when modifing the registry (especially on a customer computer) to back up the registry before messing with it.

Thanks again!
Jon Arena
Tech Support Drone #38948723972468537438023478320

i had a similar problem to this and found it to be that when the dsl link was installed it was bound to the mac address of that NIC and wouldnt communicate with any other card.

I solved it by using the card the server would talk to as the input card and using another NIC to connect it to the hub

-transmitted on 100% recycled electrons-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back