Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can ping network connections but cannot access internet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrendiego

Technical User
Dec 11, 2001
US
Hello,

I am using a router to connect a small network of computers to a DSL connection.

On one of the computers I can ping the gateway, the router, and the other networked computers but when I try to connect to the internet, there is no success.

This worked at one time but now it isn't. I have reinstalled the current drivers for the network card as well as reinstalled the DSL software.

Has anyone seen this problem before? There are only 3 computers connected at this time to the network and all other computers can access the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darren E
Eb/No Studios
Audio & Grapic Design

I tried that app on a previously virally infected PC running XP Home, where I was able to ping IPs but not Host Names. Ran the program, did a reg backup (Took like a minute and a half) and let it do its work. Did a reboot, and off to the races we went. She's back up and playing on the net.

DEFINATELY a tool for the PC Repair shops.

darrendiego already left (who post the question), and how come still continue?? I'm wondering what is the question here? I guess darrendiego already resolved by setup a DNS. If here continue another question, can please open another one please, too messy here, thanks....

A stream of messages grouped under one message header is a great tool for me. I can scroll down and scan quickly to see if I can find anything of relevance. I cannot do the same with 80 messages dealing with the same idea. As well, doing a search on a phrase to see 80 messages topics about the same thing is extremly daunting. On top of that, if an old message pops up, some of the people in here would get "BORED" of answering the same question 80 times over.

Hey folks,
I have been having problems with what I thought was a DNS issue, but I knew that it had something to do with spyware and IMesh. All the postings here, esp. about the winsock remove and tcp/ip install, solved my problem.

Thanks for the help.

Me

Kudos to peanutsmm for his post above on the Win98/ME fix for inability to resolve DNS names. I tried it on my WinME machine and in five minutes the box is running perfectly. (All this after I reloaded the O/S, tried every possible variation of Network configurations and bugged my technical folks at work!!!) It is great to have experts share their knowledge.

Thanks very much, peanutsmm for the great insight into the problem and the correct steps to fix it!!!

Batman521

Great thread - I had a WIN98 and WIN98SE PC, both unable to 'see' internet addresses. The solution from peanutsmm solved it in minutes - it had had my ISP provided in the UK stumped.

Thanks again

Ahh not the problems start. I have window 2003 and my internet is not working due to a Adware program. Now i am stuck with no internet on it. I tryied the program and it didnt work. what should i do?

My problem is somewhat similar.

I have two XP Pro's, each has two NICs in them--a USB wireless adapter hooked up to a Netgear router to access the Internet and a regular PCI-based NIC hooked up to a switch so that I could printer to my network printer.

The PCI NICs are configured with 192.0.0.X and a gateway of 192.0.0.1 and the wireless NICs are configured with 192.168.0.X and a gateway of 192.168.0.1.

Previously, I have always been able to see and print to my printer, 192.0.0.192 and access the Internet at the same time, but now I can't access the Internet with the PCI-based NIC configured with a static IP address or enabled. It seems to me that Windows XP Pro is confused about which network adapter to use (USB wireless or PCI-based NIC) and so it would come up with a blank page titled "Server not found."

Questions:

1. How does IE know which NIC to use or route to take while trying to get to the Internet?

2. Can I change the order? I'm assuming this has to do with the routing table, but I'm not a routing expert.

3. I could get resolved into an IP address if I set the DNS of the PCI-based NIC to 192.168.0.1, but I can't ping it. It seems like the return package doesn't have a route back to my computer.

Please help.

Thank-you guys!

Kudos to peanutsmm. I have 3 XP's, 2 98SE's on an 8 Port SMC Barricade, running into a cable modem. Same problem: Lost DNS resolution on one of the 98SE's (mea culpa), but could still ping IP addresses around the world. peanutsmm set it right.

skibum

Well, just the best answer I have seen in years, my hats off to peanutsmm. How in the world did you ever figure this out. Add me to the list of most thankful for your help.

I have printed in out and will commit to memory.
thanks again, now i can get some sleep.

TheRav - my hat is off to you! ZA ZoneAlarm went rogue on me, corrupted and even when it wasn't in use it was preventing my nic from getting on the network. Running win XP home edition and at boot up network activity was normal- even got assigned an IP address, then seconds after booting was over the network was inaccessible. This was a real stumper. But after reading your tip it all made sense: uninstalled ZA & 'BAM' everything was normal. Events log backed it up: TrueVector errors from ZoneAlarm logged without ZA even in use. (Didn't make the connection until reading your tip.) Even got to activate windows XP without a hitch. Thank you Mr. TheRav for a tip that is still helping nearly 2 years after it was given. -shangx15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back