Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can ping network connections but cannot access internet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrendiego

Technical User
Dec 11, 2001
US
Hello,

I am using a router to connect a small network of computers to a DSL connection.

On one of the computers I can ping the gateway, the router, and the other networked computers but when I try to connect to the internet, there is no success.

This worked at one time but now it isn't. I have reinstalled the current drivers for the network card as well as reinstalled the DSL software.

Has anyone seen this problem before? There are only 3 computers connected at this time to the network and all other computers can access the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darren E
Eb/No Studios
Audio & Grapic Design

Run a ROUTE PRINT from a cmd prompt and let us see. Also, have you used a HOSTS file in the past?

We'll go from there.

I've had almost the exact problem. I cold ping IPs but couldn't browse, etc... It turned out that there was registry corruption. Here's the solution for Win98SE:
first, back up your registry:
from a DOS window type "scanreg /backup"
then remove Dial Up Networking (even for broadband):
go to the control panel "Add/Remove programs"
to Windows Setup/Communications and uncheck
"Dial Up networking" etc...
then run regedit and remove "Winsock" and "Winsock2" under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Current Control Set/Services

under services expand VXD and remove the following keys:
AFVXD
DHCP
MSTCP
WINSOCK
WINSOCK2

then rename windows\winsock\winsock.dll to something like
winsock.old

then reboot

reinstall Dial-Up Networking (the most importnat step :)

YOU SHOULD BE OKAY, THEN. (Of course make sure you settings are what your Broadband provider wants, etc...)

I have an issue similar to this under a new thread:

thread581-289110

Similar, but I cannot ping any addresses outside of the local machine even though I can get a DHCP IP assignment from my router or directly from the cable internet provider if I plug directly into the cable modem. For details, please see that thread.

Thanks.

I have the same setup, same problem. All of the
settings for my networked workstation were correct.

I could ping by IP address and hostname.
I could not use anything TCP/IP unless is
was part of the existing internal Windows network
(no Internet except from the command line).

The fix: execute the Internet connection Wizard.

Strange.

Thankssss. this thread was realy good.
it solved my problems after i deleted the registry keys and followed the instructions above.
My 98 system could ping to any IP or name...but the browser couldnt connect...
Anyway thanks to all..........

Many thanks to all contributors of this forum.

I had been fighting this problem for weeks. ISP via cable, Linksys router, 3 stations running Win98se. All units accessing network without a problem. One unit stopped accessing the net. I was able to ping by name or by ip but couldn't reach the internet. Upon ChrisCover's last post I tried to install ICS.. and got the message "your network is not complete. Please install our network hardware...". I thought I might have a problem with a shared (too many) IRQ and tried removing a sound card and relocating the NIC..still without success So, even though my net was up and there are no conflicts with my hardware and network properties were all correct IE6 was not working. I then tried luwain's solution. Voila, it worked! Thanks luwain!

This problem seems to begin with the removal of Dial-up Networking even though it was not being used to access the net.

I have come across this problem many times on Win98SE as well as Win2k. My observation is this caused most of the time when I have diconnected a USB device when the system is on.

I had the same problem on XP - even on an internal network I could ping the IP address of our internal DNS server but could not ping it by name, hence I had no DNS working. I thought the details provided by 'peanutsmm' above seemed appropriate but not totally relevant to XP. So after days of trying out everything else (and not wanting to have to do a full re-install and lose everything) I carried out the following steps, although I am not sure they were all necessary to cure the problem.

1. Disabled my network connection and Removed my Network card physically from the machine - this got rid the reference to it in TCP/IP properties. (It seems hard to uninstall TCP/IP on XP)
2. Backed up my registry (exported it)
3. Deleted only (as the other items are not in XP) ...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2
4. Rebooted
5. Did an upgrade install of XP over my existing system.
6. Enabled my network connection.

...and everything now works fine!!!

I think I got this problem as a result of using Kaaza.com for .mp3 downloads and then uninstalling it, but I am not sure.

Regarding Browser not connecting when IP is up. There is only one solid solution, this likely a winsock issue which demands a windows OS repair. I have encountered this problem on several client computers. Generally mysterious cause associated with Outlook Express, which I never use and advise clients to likewise not use. Too many layers accessing the winsock I believe and not closing properly. This is my speculaiton. Regardless, just run a win OS repair and all will be right with the world. Most certianly could be viurs caused or Kazaa caused.

ive had the same problem are u using a firewall program like zonealarm on the gateway machine my problem was zonealarm was blocking the internet connestion throught he proxy. i could set it up first thing and it would connect but restart and the clever get detects and blocks even with zonealarm correctly configured,

the point is switch off the firewall program and test it again, when you find out who to run with firewall let me know

Another item to look for is the klez virus. The klez is very popular right now. you can find it one of two ways. look in msconfig and the startup tab and see if there is an item called wink*.* or you can do a search on the system for a file called wink*.* . If either of those two are there more than likely you have the klez. and the klez does keep one from browsing the internet.

Hi,

I have an extensive LAN and while trying to install 2 new clients came acros something odd. When I was configuring my new clients (NT4's) I had them connected through the proxy server we had out to the internet and everything worked fine. When finished I moved them to the location that they would be used and lo and behold, my proxy settings return 127.0.0.1 port 6711. Everthing is the same from the switch to the router to the server, to the IP address. I can access my network just fine through network neighborhood on the desktop. Does anyone have a clue a to what is happening?

Further on the ideas suggested by both Luwain and peanutsmm, the winsock2 fix suggested in both their posts works great for these kinds of problems. What both of these posts are suggesting resolve problems with winsock2 and a few other network files. However, I just wanted to add that as has been hinted by many in these posts spyware and firewalls tend to cause these kinds of problems particularly zone alarm and spyware called new.net. If either of these appkications are installed under add/remove programs or were once installed on the system and have since been removed but were not removed completely they could hose your connection.

I work for an ISP and we have had al kinds of problems due to both of these applications. Though I have personally used Zone Alarm and have never had it cause problems for me, I cannot say the same for the customers I serve. So, while much of the other information given in these posts is really good, if you have a connectivity issue where you can ping ip's but not host names and cannot find anything physically wrong with your network or with the network setup of the host on your network I would suggest checking add/remove programs for these applications. Below are fixes I have used to resolve connectivity issues caused by the improper use/installation of these applications:

1) If new.net is installed on the system it can cause a connect no browse situation where you can ping ip addresses but not host names. new.net is often installed by file sharing programs such as Kazaa and iMesh. So if you see either kazaa or iMesh installed under Add/Remove programs it is likely that new.net may also be installed or may have been installed at one time. To resolve connectivity issues caused by new.net, you must first completely remove new.net from the system and after this you would perform the winsock2 fix. To completely remove new.net, go udner add/remove programs and try and remove it from udner add/remove if possible. If you are unable to remove new.net from add/remove then do a search for newdot*.* on your hard drive and remove any newdotnet files that appear. Also, delete c:\Program Files\new.net. After doing this reboot the computer then perform the winsock 2 fix. Here are the steps for winsock 2:
1) click start-> run -> regedit
2) under registry editor click the + sign to hkey_local_machine then click the + sign next to System. Click the + sign next to current control set then click the + sign next to services. Under services scroll down till you find the winsock 2 key. (note: please back the key up just in case) Next delete the winsock 2 key.
3) then go into My Computer-> Control Panel-> Add Remove programs-> Windows Setup-> and double click communications. In Communications you will see Dial Up Networking. Uncheck it and click Ok. Then CLick Apply
4) You will be asked to restart your computer. Click Yes to restart
5) once you have rebooted, click start->settings->control panel->Add/remove programs->Windows Setup and double click on Communications again. This time Dial up networking should appear unchecked. This time put a check mark on Dial up networking and click ok and then click apply.
6) You will once again be asked to restart. Click Yes to restart

Note: The problems caused by new.net should now be resolved. Also note, the fix stated above only works for certain versions of Windows 95 thru to Windows ME. It does not work for Windows NT/2000/XP. For Windows NT/2000/XP I have still not found anyway to regenerate the winsock 2 key. The only solution I have found to resolve problems caused by new.net is to remove new.net from the computer having problems and then go to a working machine for the OS in question and extract the key from the wroking system then delete the winsock 2 key from the computer having problems and import the key I extracted from the working system. While this method works, I would liek a better way to do it but have so far not found anyway to regenerate the winsock 2 key on these other operating systems.

2) Problems caused by Zone Alarm. Firstly, if you can't resolve problems caused by Zone Alarm then I would recommend removing it from the system completely. To completely remove zone alarm, use add/remove programs to get rid of it. Often, however, zone alarm fails to completely remove. If you find remnants of zone alarm still on your system, I have found that simply deleting all instances of the vsdata95.vxd file is usually sufficient to get rid of any problems caused by zone alarm. the vsdata95.vxd file that is installed by zone alarm seems to be the key file used by zone alarm. Note that vsdata95.vxd is installed by zone alarm and is not a Windows file. So removing it is not harmful to your OS. Another note: I usually remove zone alarm from add/remove programs first before attempting to delete vsdata95.vxd. Also, you may have to boot into safe mode to remove vsdata95.vxd as it may be in use by Windows.

I've had this exact same problem once before...it took me about an hour to figure out that the two routers I was using were communicating over a different version of RIP...
Two Cisco routers one was rip v1 and the other was rip v2...also make sure your DNS and subnet mask is correct.

I had this similar problem as well,

In my case, it was that Winsock 2 on my computer has, in some way, become corrupt, and thus prevented the use of DNS information.

A repair patch exists to fix this problem at:

Run the file from the local hard drive and If that was the problem, your internet connection should be up and running in no time!

Zycmi

I had a similar problem to darrendiego. I have a Linksys router/cable modem. I just built a new Win 2K computer. I loaded the OS, and, when I tried to connect to the internet, I couldn't. I, too, could reach any of my internal pc's with the DNS names, but, anything on the internet would fail. I could still ping addresses, but, I could not resolve their names. I found my problem was the port forwarding on my router. For a software program, I had to FW ports 1049 - 5000 to my primary PC. This, of course, caused all DNS coming in for Win 2K to go to the wrong PC. Like Iron Mike, I had a misconfigured router. Thanks to shem.foo for pointing me in the right direction...

I had a problem with a clients computer after marketscore had been installed and removed. It couldn't access the dns and would give an instant dns error. Telnet to a local ip wouldn't work or even ftp to a local lan machine.

peanutsmm's post fixed the problem , thanks mate and to this forum.

markkor

I had a problem with a clients computer after marketscore had been installed and removed. It couldn't access the dns and would give an instant dns error. Telnet to a local ip wouldn't work or even ftp to a local lan machine.

peanutsmm's post fixed the problem , thanks mate and to this forum.

markkor

Want to reiterate that Peanutmm's fix works (for me at least). Had one (winme) pc on a 4 port linksys router which mysteriously lost the ability to connect to the internet or other pcs on the network one day. I could ping the router and the other pcs on the network, but could not ping anything on the internet as offered in some of the solutions above. The fix provided by peanutmm cleared that up. Just wanted to share in the event someone else with a similar issue stops by...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back