Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can ping network connections but cannot access internet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrendiego

Technical User
Dec 11, 2001
US
Hello,

I am using a router to connect a small network of computers to a DSL connection.

On one of the computers I can ping the gateway, the router, and the other networked computers but when I try to connect to the internet, there is no success.

This worked at one time but now it isn't. I have reinstalled the current drivers for the network card as well as reinstalled the DSL software.

Has anyone seen this problem before? There are only 3 computers connected at this time to the network and all other computers can access the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darren E
Eb/No Studios
Audio & Grapic Design

Can you ping beyond the router? Like 'ping If that doesn't work, can you 'ping 32.97.168.129'? If the former fails but the latter works, then your problem is that your internal clients don't have any DNS resolution working. What are you using for DNS? When you say that you 'can't connect to the internet,' are you talking about connecting with a web browser?

ShackDaddy

Good call see if you can ping from your DOS prompt if so work on some DNS setups. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Ok,

I cannot ping but I can ping 32.97.168.129 or any other IP address.
All the working computers connected to the router have DNS disabled. I've tried both enabled as well as disabled.

I installed all the computers to the router and set up the router to interface with the DSL modem. All computers were working and I can only assume it has to do with someone changing something on the computer that I don't know about.

I will admit that I am not a networking expert (and that's why I'm using this site for help) but let me best describe how I have this small network setup...

Static IP given by ISP, Gateway, Primary and secondary DNS all were programmed into the Router.
192.168.0.1 is the gateway IP to the router from each computer.
All computers have their IP addresses assigned by the router
where each port is assigned a static I.P (e.a. 192.168.0.101 = port 1, 192.168.0.102 = port 2, etc...)
All the computers use DHCP for WINS resolution.
DNS is disabled on all the computers connected to this router.

The computer that has the problem connecting started off by not being able to send e-mail (but was able to receive) followed later by no connection to anything but the local network within the company.

I hope this helps get a better picture of my problem.

Thanks again,

Darren

What is your OS? Try to see what your current configuration is....

Windows 9x

Click on Start, Run, type in WinIPCFG Note what the DNS entry is.

Windows NT, 2000, XP

Click on Start, Run, type in CMD
Type in WINIPCFG /ALL and note what the DNS entry is.

Without DNS your systems will not be able to resolve host names ( to IP Addresses. Because they will not be able to do that your systems will not be able to browse the network. The systems that can connect to the Internet are getting their DNS Servers from either the router or have it entered manually. Doing the above procedure on 1 system that is working and one that is not should shed some light on the issue at hand.

I know on XP you can elect to get the DNS information from the DHCP Server or enter it in manually depends on the setting.

Another check for which DNS Server you are using is the utility called NSLOOKUP...

At a Command Prompt, type in NSLOOKUP <enter>

You should see the following output....

Server: ns1.nkn.net <-- Host name of DNS
Address: 204.0.159.31 <-- IP Address of DNS Server

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: sears.com
Addresses: 32.97.168.163, 32.97.168.129
Aliases:
The above information will tell you how your current system is resolving host names. Try these utilities and then update this thread. Someone will be able to help you with this....

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

DNS DNS DNS and make sure your browser is setup for LAN conection. You may also want to use another DNS you do not have to use the one your isp provides Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

I'm using windows 98SE on the computer that isn't working. Under winipcfg the DNS is listed as 192.168.0.1 (which is the router where DNS is already set up).

All other computers that are running are using the same OS (except for one using win 95....why, I don't know, I just work here ;) )

If I swap out the bad computer and place a laptop computer on the same router port (cable and all) then configure it the same way I have configured all other computers, I get a good connection to the internet as well as seeing the local network.

I'm led to believe it's something beyond the settings or something happened to the onboard LAN device on the motherboard.
I'm anxious to try placing a PCI network card in the computer and trying my luck that way.

Any more input to what I should do would be GREATLY appreciated.

What happens when you attempt to run NSLOOKUP? david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

When I try to run nslookup in win 98se, I get a bad command or file name error.

I don't ever recall being able to perform NSLOOKUP in anything other than UNIX/WINNT/WIN2000/ XP(?).

I'm confirming this by trying to NSLOOKUP using one of our laptops with win 98 se.

Darren

Opps sorry Darren, you are correct in that matter.....In your above post (I actually looked at it this time) you didn't mention that you looked at IE Settings. Can you verify that you have IE set for LAN Settings without any proxy information added, this will cause the system not to browse. As far as the pings, I'm at a loss if the system is setup exactly like the other one.

Have your thought about removing TCP/IP and resetting it back up? Just a thought....

david e

Assuming that your problem PC has the exact same web browser settings as those that work, you might want to simply reinstall IE.x. If you are using a PIX firewall, try increasing the number of simultaneous connections using the xlate command.

Also compare the routing tables of the PC that can't connect with a PC that can (route print from DOS), and try adding a persistent route to your gateway (route add).

Assuming that your problem PC has the exact same web browser settings as those that work, you might want to simply reinstall IE.x. or uninstall TCP/IP and reinstall.

If you are using a PIX firewall, try increasing the number of simultaneous connections to the outside world using the xlate command.

Also compare the routing tables of the PC that can't connect with a PC that can (route print from DOS), and try adding a persistent route to your gateway (route add).

I am using I.E. (updated that recently as well to try and fix the problem).
The fact that I cannot ping (or any other site in that fashion) leads me to believe it's beyond browser settings.
I cannot use outlook express either but since I personally don't like using outlook, I am not sure if outlook has anything to do with I.E settings or not (does it?).

The problem seemed to start with outlook express. I was reported that they were able to receive e-mail but were unable to send. And later neither send nor receive was successful along with being able to connect to the internet.
The staff members here use outlook quite a lot and I'm pretty sure they aren't too aware of attachment threats in outlook.
There isn't a type of virus out there that can disable networking is there?

I did install a second network card and disabled the onboard lan chip in the bios to no avail so I don't think that it's the onboard network chip. (Had to try it...I work almost entirely with hardware issues at my job)

This is where I'm at...
I *REALLY* appreciate the help guys...

Try this one......

Under the TCP/IP Settings of the system setup a manual DNS server. So instead of using 192.168.0.1 set it up for something like....129.250.35.250 (Actual DNS Server) then see if you can connect or ping to host names. This way you bypass the DHCP Settings handed out by the router.

Once you do that do a WinIPCFG just to make sure the new DNS server is being used.

Sorry if it sounds like I grasping for things, in issues like this it's easier to physically work on the system then attempt to walk people through the cobwebs of my mind :)

david e

I tried your suggestion and I am still right where I left off.
Under WINIPCFG I am seeing 129.250.35.250 but I cannot ping anything with an alias (ie. but I can ping addresses.

I reinstalled TCP/IP, I.E. and Outlook Express. Still getting the same problems. I haven't tried the route add command yet but I'm doubting that will have any effect.
We'll see...

try following.
edit your machines hosts file. This file si available in c:\windows folder. No extention.
type IP address of the site, press a tab and then type alias.
save this file and then try browsing the site using this alias. If you can, just by proper setting of DNS server you will be able to resolve your problem.

You say that you can ping IP addresses but cannot ping by name, like When you ping is the host and domain being resolved to an IP addresses! If not then the problem is DNS related.

&quot;Under winipcfg the DNS is listed as 192.168.0.1 (which is the router where DNS is already set up).&quot;

This is no good. You need to enter a couple of live DNS servers or DNS cache engines in your TCP/IP settings to be able to ping by host name. Have you tried pinging directly from the router? If the router has DNS entries then I would guess than unless you have a more serious problem then it should work! If you can't ping or from your desktop then it's a DNS issue. This would also affect your e-mail as the sending system wouldn't be able to resolve smtp.isp.com to an IP address to send mail. Setting up your router as a DNS server won't do you any good as it won't be listening on port 53! It's not a DNS server!! Use an actual live DNS server!! I can't stress that enough!!

One more thing, are there any ACLs on the router causing any problems?

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

I had a similar problem after I installed XP Pro. After a lot of investigation and expert technical help it turned out to be the routing table. The PC connected to the cable modem thought the NIC for the network was the cable modem NIC and nothing would persaude it to change its mind. Result: internal pings and connections worked perfectly, but nothing beyond the cable modem NIC. I had to re-set the routing table using these commands in a bat file:

route DELETE 0.0.0.0
route -F ADD 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 203.164.xx.xxx metric 1

(one line)

...where the latter is my semi-permanent IP. Ran this batch once and got a permanent fix. I've forgotten the technicalities but if an expert thinks this is a possible solution perhaps an elaboration might help.

The difference between pinging an IP address and its corresponding name is DNS. That is, if you can ping the IP address, then you know that routing is basically working.

So, if you cannot also ping its name , then you have a DNS issue. DNS is a &quot;helper&quot; process but it is a separate process from routing IP.

As Chrisac says, try using the DNS address in your PC setup. Don't try to use your router gateway as a DNS proxy. While a PC proxy server might be set up to act as a DNS server, routers are not. So, giving your router gateway address as the host DNS address is likely not to work.

Yours,
Mike

May not be your problem, but had one like this where the user had set up tcp/ip on the dialup adapter. This confused the networking and when I removed this and set up tcp/ip on the network card only it fixed it.

Same kinds of symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back