Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any Good Opinions of Windows 8 To Date? 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
So far, from my perspective, I think Windows 8 is looking to make Windows ME even look good in retrospect. A month or two ago, I installed the consumer preview in a virtual machine, and had it running - did take a little tweaking but not much. However, once I had it running, it did look like I was trying to control a giant phone with a mouse - forget the keyboard at all - and frankly, what I clicked just didn't make sense. To me, nothing felt intuitive at all. I could pick up any version of Ubuntu Linux I've seen to date, and though I'm not as familiar, at least it mostly feels intuitive, even the latest one I've tried where they try to go somewhat Mac-ish. I suppose Microsoft has decided to not try to copy the Mac anymore on their interface, but rather just make a big dumb smartphone. Maybe it should now be labeled Windows Smart-top. [wink]

Any good experience so far? Any reason to try it again? I only gave it 10, maybe 15, minutes of my time.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

If MS continues along the design route where more emphasis is put on the Gaming and leisure sector of computer use, then business users will be forced to go elsewhere for their computer products. The Desktop market is shrinking because more and more people are finding that Smart phones are sufficient to meet their computer needs. Meanwhile business users, who rely on their systems for their businesses to operate are having to contend with some of the more bizarre ideas which MS seem to have in abundance.

Business machine should have none of the leisure apps installed and it should be up to the user to install what applications they require. Microsoft Office started with this concept in mind but in true MS fashion, it would appear that they are unable to control themselves when it comes to adding features and functions which have no use in the real world and just make the application bigger and more difficult to use on a day to day basis.

My main grumble about the newer versions of software is that the simple to operate drop down menus have been replaced by a large area at the top of the page being replaced by numerous graphic symbols, representing the functions of the program. Do these graphic symbols make the operation of software easier, I don't think they do because instead of all the options being available, there are now multiple menus to trawl through to find the function you are looking for. Functionality is slowly being designed out of much of the software on the market today.

Keith

It is just like any thing (cars, women, whiskey) not body likes to change. but change we must.
Leak by most terms are something that M$ allowed... No body really releases a Pirate Windows 8.1 (Blue) be another name unless M$ allows.
Yes, there are many FRANKENBUILD versions out, all crippled for the most part. Metro - touchscreen are terms that (lazy people) use to dispel
what Windows 8 or 8.1 can do... Disable the Metro if you do not like it. Add you stupid worthless Windows 7 start menu back, Metro or Apps page is much more
flexible than Start Menu ever was ... Win 8 is much faster than Win 7 & win 8.1 is still faster and Server is still faster...
For those that only allow 10 mins or 15 min, get a life, go suk back into your Win XP and close the door on you cave.

I have offered, 3 months FREE service to any of my Clients that "Allow me to install Windows 8" and set it up for them an after 7 days.. I'll come back an restore
Windows 7.. if they chose (and get 3 months FREE service (house Calls) if they chose to remain on Win7. (WOW, no one took the 3 months FREE House Calls. )

Frank Smith
SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

For those that only allow 10 mins or 15 min, get a life, go suk back into your Win XP and close the door on you cave."

I have been using Windows 8 for a lot longer than 15 minutes and feel qualified to comment on what I personally like and dislike about it without being accused of living in the dark ages and being too old to adapt to change.

"Metro or Apps page is much more flexible than Start Menu ever was"
In what way are the start menu and the Metro screen comparable?
One is useful menu and the other is a screen with simple links on it.

A more appropriate comparison would be the limited functionality of the Metro screen compared with the highly functional Desktop screen. The speed of Windows 8 is not being questioned here and at no point have I complained about it. My gripe is that the GUI design makes it more difficult for me to carry out my day to day work than any of the old versions did. That is not a reluctance to change, that is poor quality design.

Keith

I'm with you all the way Keith! I haven't even noticed if Win8 is faster than Win7, it takes me 5 times as long to navigate the darn thing, to me it's slower ;-)

I have yet to find how you close a PDF once opened via the adobe PDF app rather than full blown adobe reader, which is the first thing I install after a 3rd party start menu replacement :)

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

Alt+F4 closes almost anything that has focus - Windows on the desktop or apps in the Modern UI.

If you don't want to see the Reader app again, uninstall it (right-click the tile and select uninstall from the taskbar.)

OK my bit now.
I've been setting up a Win8 machine for the non-profit I help run, and, shock, horror, wait for it......I actually like it.
Yes it's a change but actually when you get used to it. some things make a lot more sense.
For example, I think pulling up the "apps" folder is a better way than the start menu.
Adding new programs to the main screen (Metro / Modern / whatever) is a breeze when you know what you are doing and I think is better than pinning to the traditional start menu.
I love live tiles, maybe because I like things like aggregated news feeds,train times (good for us) whereas I don't see the point of large tiles if it doesn't update
I think it helps using a good size widescreen monitor, as I could understand using a smaller 4:3 monitor could prove really annoying.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

I want to like it, I really do.

8.1 for me is a step closer to liking it.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

I want to like it, I really do.
I know, we all did, I wanted to so much I was going to build myself a new PC, but considering the last time I did that was for Vista, I decided to wait, so glad I did, the new PC can wait a few years!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

I have got most of it sorted now but still find the Metro screen is just in the way of efficient working.

I am repeatedly told that the Metro Screen has the same functionality as the old Taskbar and start menu combination - am I missing something (apart from my faithful XP computer).

Keith

I have got most of it sorted now but still find the Metro screen is just in the way of efficient working.
Then get rid of it! The only thing I have in the metro start up on our Windows 8 laptops is the desktop tile ;-) - so even if a user accidently goes to the metro screen, the only thing immediately available is the desktop - job done!

install this :
you will never have to see the metro screen again :)

you can also disable all those stupid flyout menus as well (hot corners) or whatever the stupid name for them is.

Our Windows 8 machines look and work just like Windows 7 (well as much as you can make it without Aero!)

Does that Metro screen not appear after a search?
This is something I use a lot although I have been pointed to a program which does the job well for me.

I also get it after I open PDF files, the pdf app (yes the 1 app I use) is just what I need - very basic but does the job I want it to do.

I never had Windows 7 so I am comparing everything with XP - the people who designed that must have retired and left all future design to the local comprehensive school.

Keith

you mean searching the PC - not the web?

No because that iobit Start Menu 8 brings back the awesome Windows 7 start menu search :)

oh PDF's, no don't use that awful App version (uninstall it!) , go to adobe.com and install the latest Reader XI, then it will work properly!

That 'awful app' just displays the PDF, no options to enlarge, search, make candy floss, rotate, turn into anything fluffy - it allows me to read a PDF file like I would a book - perfect for the job.

Keith

Pokki start menu is a simple free one that I use. It brings back the start menu and I'm happy with it.

Jim

Pokki start menu is a simple free one that I use.
Yes, we have a couple of machines running Pokki, but I found it to be a little unstable especially the start menu search, so moved over to the iobit Start Menu 8, so far I think I prefer the iobit one.

Well, if you do not like Windows 8.0 - you will be more unhappy with 8.1, there is more wrong with it, than 8.0.
I find that IE11 has major issues with many sites. M$ default for Security is really stupid. it auto slows down browsing due to(check this site for phishing).
SmartScreen is really very stupid. and M$ keeps turning it on, so you really should change the Reg to OFF, or control panel security and turn it off... the easy way
of tools smartscreen off is (pure crap). many sites that I have been a member of or Admin on or Mod suddenly has a Security Certificate issue.... so you need to find the
Certificate, save then so you can manually enter. Waste of time an energy. but then M$ turned STUPID not smart.(because any reasonable experienced Computer person can find
how to do this, also the fact that you have to turn of default (stupid M$) stuff again just to allow Google to work properly, and M$ allows all the by DEFAULT popup on words by
Ad Choice and other JUNK sites...just a little on Windows 8.1 so if you think Windows 8 is bad.... Trial before you buy Windows 8.1 JUNK> that means a good full image backup so you can restore, ah also, remember if you were Windows 8.0 MAK - unless you have a NEW 8.1 MAK your old Windows 8.0 KEY is blacklisted. so you have to WAIT until GA-RTM and do the upgrade via Store...for FREE.

Frank Smith

Sorry that you are having problems with 8.1. I have run the "Preview" and now the RTM of Windows 8.1 without too many problems so far. I did NOT do a clean install of Windows 8.1 and had to uninstall/remove the Preview edition back to Windows 8 before doing the upgrade.

The real test will be when the 8.1 is released to the public later this month.

now the RTM of Windows 8.1 without too many problems so far-- exactly Not too many but the ones IMO are major.
Not every body has a lot of spare MAK 8.1 Keys... and since when does a Genuine MAK key for Windows 8.0 get jammed, (just a big $$$$ thing) and MAK keys are not CHEAP.
Every body has lots of Retail Keys for Windows 8.0 Pro.... and they are good for 8.1 (NOT MAK)
Very stupid of M$ in my opinion, they will loose many Corp players this way....
but it makes me $$$$$ for me to move all the 8.1 (really stupid move) back to Windows 8.0 and some even went back to Windows 7.

Just want some thinking about the move to 8.1 from Windows 8 or 7. 8.1 is very close and M$ still has a MAJOR MAJOR to even come close to ready...
Sorry but I'm also thinking of Not worth the Time or $$$$ to be a Windows Beta Tester any more....

Frank Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back