Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any Good Opinions of Windows 8 To Date? 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
So far, from my perspective, I think Windows 8 is looking to make Windows ME even look good in retrospect. A month or two ago, I installed the consumer preview in a virtual machine, and had it running - did take a little tweaking but not much. However, once I had it running, it did look like I was trying to control a giant phone with a mouse - forget the keyboard at all - and frankly, what I clicked just didn't make sense. To me, nothing felt intuitive at all. I could pick up any version of Ubuntu Linux I've seen to date, and though I'm not as familiar, at least it mostly feels intuitive, even the latest one I've tried where they try to go somewhat Mac-ish. I suppose Microsoft has decided to not try to copy the Mac anymore on their interface, but rather just make a big dumb smartphone. Maybe it should now be labeled Windows Smart-top. [wink]

Any good experience so far? Any reason to try it again? I only gave it 10, maybe 15, minutes of my time.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

As far as whether I'm complaining about something I've not used. When I opened the thread, my experience thus far was negative, not that I never used it. It was not MUCH use, as I mentioned, but I did indeed use it. And I will at some point try it out again - the latest version. By the way, when I posted the thread, I couldn't travel into the future. This thread was started in June. So unless you want to complain to Doc from "Back to the Future", then not sure how you come off basically fussing that I'm complaining about something that did not even exist when I opened the thread.

True, my apologies.

In any case, yes I can confirm the charm bar which did move in between review versions, is pretty much bug free as far as I can tell. It shows up every time now, and functions pretty quickly.

My only gripe with it, is that it shows up inside games if you move the mouse to the hot spot edges, and can be a little annoying. Not sure if it can be deactivated or simply not be triggered when in a full screen game.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

I can confirm the charm bar which did move in between review versions, is pretty much bug free as far as I can tell. It shows up every time now, and functions pretty quickly.
That's great news for sure. And I suppose should be expected.

As far as showing during games and such, I'd imagine that if MS doesn't fix it themselves, someone will come up with an add-on of some sort for that. I would think that there would be some way to disable it anyway, surely there's a service for it?

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

My initial impression of Windows 8 was one of damn near total dismay. I thought and still think that the Metro GUI was the stupidest idea ever to come from Microsoft. Make that the second most stupid idea, the first being the lack of a reasonable option such as the desktop option to include a start menu plus the inclusion of the classic start menu option in Windows versions prior to Windows 7. However, there is a way to overcome this roadblock to people such as you and me. That major flaw is completely circumvented with a free program called Classic Shell Menu that will provide the ability to boot directly to the desktop and also to choose three choices of start menu (Windows Classic, Windows XP or Windows Vista/7). You can get it from
Without this little gem I would still be using Vista with the classic start menu option. When XP was released I hated its start menu and opted to use the classic menu for the many years I employed this stellar operating system. I was forced to use Vista when it escaped because the new laptop I purchased could not be made to function properly with XP installed due to lack of drivers for the hardware in the computer. So I had to reinstall Vista in order to use the new laptop. When Vista Service Pack I was released it made that OS an improvement over XP. I then installed it on my desktop computer and learned to appreciate it.

Then came Windows 7 and no classic start menu option so I said no thanks and continued using Vista. When I learned of the Classic Shell Menu, I installed Windows 7 in one of my computers and began using it with the well known to me Classic start menu. To me, Windows 7 was a big improvement over Vista so I installed it on all of my computers.

I still use Windows 7 on my desktop and laptop computers and have Windows 8 on another computer that I use as a learning platform. With the Classic Shell Menu installed it's a Windows 7 look alike with both excellent features and some not so admirable. Somewhere in the future Microsoft will probably provide a Service Pack to allay the dismay of so many of their previously loyal customers. As of now, the only compelling feature of Windows 8 is its price of only $40 until the end of January as well as it being installed on new computers provided by the various computer manufacturers.

As previously stated, without the Classic Shell Menu I would still be using Vista or XP as I truly hate the start menu that come as standard in Windows 7 and the idiotic Metro GUI of Windows 8.

Well technically speaking the Start Menu never really went anywhere. With Windows 8 as With Windows 7 before it you can pin the still existing Start Menu folder to the Taksbar, and it becomes a start Menu.

I simply added a toolbar to the Taskbar form the right click menu and pointed it to the Start Menu folder.

Then collapsed it all the way so only the title was visible and I got an old fashioned Win98 start menu that works perfectly.

Windows8StartMenu.jpg

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Well, my 2-year-old Win7 laptop just died. I was not looking forward to Windows 8's wacky interface AT ALL. So I ordered a new laptop (on my iPhone, no less), and I've been doing a little browsing:

-- Francis
There are laws to protect the freedom of the press's speech, but none that are worth anything to protect the people from the press.
--Mark Twain

I use Start 8 on my main PC. Ive been using Win8 for a month or so at home, and for a while in beta etc at work, and Im still no convinced. It does seem a lot snappier than Win7 but it also feels like a stripped down Win 7 with lots of the gloss taken away. I have a pretty decent PC and I want the gloss please!

I also tried to install Win8 on my HTPC. All went well until i noticed after obtaining my free media centre key it would not load on start up anymore.

there are a few steps to get it to auto load and bypass the metro ui all together, but it breaks my activation token and breaks windows all together. So reverted back to Win7 and ended up being faster and easier in the end.....

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Windows 8 is fast - most of the time faster than Windows 7 with same hardware and memory...
Enterprise x64 currently being used, have dual boot ProWMC which I very rarely use.... I do boot to an upgrade on the 1st of ea month.
then reboot it 2 times... then revert back to Enterprise.

Many people are finding that the use of many 3d party programs to defeat Start Screen (is jamming up) corruption of some files...
I recommend you stay away from (defeat the MUI) or start screen, consider the Start Screen you instant Menu which is faster to access than Win 7.
have been using since beta test, converted as soon as possible, in fact my install date is 7-26-2012.

Start page is easy to use, simply unpin what you do not use ... customize your way ... I have found that if you try Windows 8 for a week, then go back to Win 7
you will find shortly thing worked faster and easier to find in Win 8, at the cost of $14.99 for most that use Upgrade Assistant - then save to install later and make into iso, then burn to disk are quite happy...

My Windows 8 Start Menu
Start%20page.png

Frank Smith
SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Windows 8 is fast - most of the time faster than Windows 7 with same hardware and memory...
No it isn't. I just added a new user to the laptop and it took 30 minutes before I could log on and use it, how is that faster? This is a new i5 with 6GB of ram, yet my Win 7 machine with 4GB of ram on an old Q6600 QuadCore pees all over this damn machine and yet it shouldn't!

In my opinion Windows 8 is an even bigger pile of doggy doo than Vista.

The boss took this brand new Windows 8 machine away with him to New Zealand, he has given it back and never wants to see it again, he would rather use his iPad and not be able to use some of our systems than have this piece of crap -> his words!

Windows 8 is so bad that if they don't fix it by Windows 9, when I get round to building myself a new computer to repace my old QuadCore, I'm going Mac and I never thought I would ever say that!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

1DMF said:
The boss took this brand new Windows 8 machine away with him to New Zealand, he has given it back and never wants to see it again, he would rather use his iPad and not be able to use some of our systems than have this piece of crap -> his words!

Ill have it if he doesnt want it!

Im from NZ, what was he doing there? (UK Based now)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

I've been using Windows 8 for about a month on my Dell Latitude laptop. I had the Windows 7 disk in the drive ready re-install when I started thinking that Windows 8 is the future and decided I'd give it a try. Whether we like it or not we have to get used to it. So, is it "Windows Vista?" well in a sense yes. It is a revolutionary jump ahead like Vista. Now most people think Vista sucked because nothing worked and it was plagued with problems but Vista was leaps and bounds better than XP on many levels for the simple fact that it blocked access to the kernel. Like any good, secure OS should. Was it perfect? Not by any stretch but out of Vista we got Windows 7.

So Windows 8 is a jump ahead. There are some things that are good and some things that are bad. Learning the Windows key short cuts has improved my liking it by leaps and bounds so if you're struggling with Windows 8, learn the Windows key short cuts posted earlier in this post. Windows 8 is very fast on my Latitude, i7 processor, 8gb RAM, on my SSD I can boot in less than 10 seconds. There are a few things I don't, like why put the shutdown and restart under Settings how are they settings? I hate that when you start media (like music, video or pictures) it is damn near impossible to get out of the app.

Overall I don't hate Windows 8. It takes some getting used to but once I got the Windows keys down it makes it much easier. It is like Windows Vista, only with less problems, in that it is a stepping stone to a much better OS and I hope Windows 9 is an improvement. I think everyone should start using Windows 8 simply for the fact that you're going to have to get used to the interface sooner or later. This is the future.

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

@ 1DMF - I dual boot Win 8 - I also have KMS and MAK on the same system... I admit when you first add a new user it takes a bit to set it up.
but 30 min. (I hardly think that is correct). my main system is a JUNK DELL 23" AIO 4GB and when I add a new user to show (demo) it has never taken longer 3 to 5 min... add the person, then log off and logback in as new user... yes Windows 8 has to set default items and preserve your settings.... I can swap OS in 3min or less, swap editions in less than that... Windows 8 is an will never be a Trojan horse like VISTA...
I am a M$ Beta Tester since pre-win95....

what many ppl do not understand is if - when they use the Tiles to open anything it stays open .when you have 20 or 30 itmes open.. why do you not just honestly shut down what you are not using... some time mouse to upper left hand corner an see all the CRAP you have open... close what you do not need or want open ...
Whee I'm glad I do not have a BOSS like yours ... Oh crap I am the BOSS. (Remember that fellow that likes to Say "Your Fired"

Frank Smith
SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Im from NZ, what was he doing there? (UK Based now)
On holiday.

I think everyone should start using Windows 8 simply for the fact that you're going to have to get used to the interface sooner or later.
No we don't , there is always unix and Mac.

If I wish to stay working with MS then I might have to like it or lump it, but if it doesn't improve, then it may be time to jump the sinking MS ship!

I admit when you first add a new user it takes a bit to set it up. but 30 min.

OK maybe it was 20 , I didin't have a stop watch out, but what ever, it took a ridiculous amount of time to create a new user, when in pre windows 8, you create it, log off , log back on and with-in seconds you are on your new desktop.

I guess with Win 8 it's all down to preference, I've liked windows up until 8, well I was DOS prior to Win 3! , I don't like the route MS is going as do many and am seriously considering giving OSX a go with my next build, perhaps dual boot until I'm happy with the move.

My sister has gone all Mac at her company now after getting fed up with MS, and I was very impressed by her iMac, she would never go back to MS.

Perhaps it's out of the frying pan and into the fire, only time will tell.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Good luck running a mixed OSX / Windows domain... :)

What do most people want to do on a PC these days at work?

Browse internet.
Email
occasional game.
music (if allowed)

erm.....

P.S - legally you cant install OS X on a PC (although it is possible as I have it running at home and can boot to Win8 / Win7 /OS X and have various Linux distros in virtual environments.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Good luck running a mixed OSX / Windows domain...

No I am talking personally as my home build.. then perhaps cross train on different OS ( I used to work with SCO Unix, and IBM main frames), so perhaps look at leaving the Windows / Microsoft environment.. I have a year to go with my current OU course before I need to decide which platform I may target as my next career move.

Though I thought bootcamp or simlar at least enabled a VM of Windows on Macs and I've heard alot on the OU forum about Parallels also, is this no good?

I may be under the wrong impression that you can buy OSX and run on your own hardware, so maybe it's bite the bullet and get an iMac?

Many of the OU students doing the same course as me seem to be running Ubuntu and having just spoken with the OU over their website not working propery on IE. I was told to use FireFox so it seems even the Great Brisith insititue that is The Open University is no longer compatible with Microsoft and is recommending not using their software either stating it is unsecure, slow and unreliable, so with organisations such as the OU seemingly moving away from MS also, I don't want to be left behind [sleeping]

Nobody has mentioned networking with Windows 8. I have 4 machines on the network:-
Vista to Win8 and vice verca no bother
Win 8 to XP share with the world, security off - not a chance of transfers.
As for the help files - I reckon I would get better advice from a B&Q tiling leaflet :)

Keith

I don't have any problems with networking other than my W8 machine giving up under heavy traffic but that is to do with Dell's choice of crap network chips. I have Server 2000, Server 2008, W2K, XP, W7, W8 and 3 flavours of Linux and they can all exchange files quite easily. The annoying thing about W8 remote desktop is that it glues itself to the top left corner.

The really annoying thing about W8 is whenever I click on a picture. Instead of bringing it up in paint or some photo viewer, it goes into this full screen photo album that cannot be minimized or accessible from the task bar. It is a similar problem with music files. It is fine, if you work in windows 1.0 mode, which was full screen everything. I just can't operate in that mode.

What I really miss, ever since W7 got rid of it is net message. It used to be so easy to broadcast that dinner was ready. It would pop up on everyone's screen, probably spoiling their game but they'd know that dinner was imminent. Now we're back to yelling up the stairwell.

Networking sucks!! I just had to do a factory reset because the VPN stopped working.

The boss has a Samsung Win8 Corei5 - 6GB ram laptop, it runs like a dog with Win8 on it (and that's a brand new clean install).

For some unknown reason it just stopped working with the company VPN, he couldn't connect and when I tried to go to 'properties' for the connection it threw a load of errors, so couldn't even access the settings.

In the end I had to wipe the darn thing and start again.

hmm, sound familiar? Vista prior SP1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back