Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4.2(17) 1616 Phones Crackling Intermittently

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidshokk

Technical User
Jan 31, 2007
GB

Hi

Getting intermittent crackling on IP500 on 4.2(17) with 1616 handsets.

No alarms showing in SSA and no ISDN errors in the monitor trace that I can see.

Any ideas on my next move?

Yes ran the customer for a week with DS handsets all fine but they want IP sets. Will let you know my resolution if any.Have you tried changing the codec.

Try this again but then the conference on -4 instead of -2 or -5

1 For the VCM settings:
-Set Nonlinear Processor Mode to Disabled.
-Set NLP Comfort Noise Ceiling to -55

2 In NO User ---> source number put the below string
CONFERENCE_DSP_TX_GAIN=-4

ACSS IP Office
APSS IP Office
APSS UC
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Nope, I changed the Comfort Noise settings and nonlinear mode but not tried codec

Ill try it. Ill likewise keep you updated

Why did you assume that? I was thinking that G729 would be better as the load on the network would be lower? Are we saying the compression could be actually causing the problem?

You would normally use G711 for the LAN, if the LAN can't cope with 80k for a call something is very wrong, I have not seen using G729 cause crackling but try changing it to see if it helps :)

ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

not exactly, but i always use G711 for internal as do most technicians. compression to g729 is more work for the pbx, but lowers quality too. you are using isdn which is the equivalent of g711 at 64kb per call so compressing 1 side to g729 doesn't make sense.

Hmmm... Makes sense. Ive just never changed it from default. My bad.

Ive made the change and will do some testing shortly.

Still crackle noise when I speak but apparently ok their end.

I think a plan is in place to replace all handsets with DS handsets given the state of the cabling and the headache everyone has had so far.

We have the same problem with 5610's, 5621's, digital sets, other VCM, other IP500, with a phone connected directly to the system through the LAN2 port, using any number of settings or Codecs, used a vlan then a flat network, been on 4.x and 5.x IPOffice, implemented diffserv, or anything else we can think of.

We've noticed that the phones show in the software monitor that they register every 30 seconds or so. We've noticed that tracert's take an unknown hop that times out before finding the phone system. We've noticed that users have problems, not particular handsets. We've tried various/multiple connections for our "problem" users. There is no pattern as to when we have a poor call quality.

We have some IPX on our network. We have HP Procurve PoE switches. Almost all of our phones have a PC hanging off of them with a different subnet for the PC's. Our longest ethernet runs are 150-200 feet. Most of our problems come from there.

Our problems cannot be captured with a recording. We mostly have echo and scratchy-ness that can only be heard on one side of the conversation. It can happen with internal calls or external calls.

We are planning on getting a network assessment ran but I think the problem is so subtle that we won't find anything that way. We've dealt directly with Avaya and their last suggestion was an isolated network.

Maybe we should exchange phone serial numbers as we're almost convinced that we have a bad batch of phones. Some users have complained that messing with the cord can make it happen but we can't reproduce that either.

oh dear. what is going on with Avaya IP phones?!?! I for one have lost a lot of trust in the product on the back of this. No other brand of pbx seems to have such a common massive problem.

Sort it out avaya.

I've said it before, unfortunatley since replacing the 400 series with the 500 the reliability and quality of the kit is going steadily downhill, it's now built to maximise profit not operating effeciancy and longevity, it's a real shame :)

ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

I don't agree. I have been putting in nothing but ip phones for the past 2 years and never get issues. If you plan the install correctly with the aim of a completely different network, on a different cable network also. I have sites with 200+ ip phones no issues.

On a side note I had 1 site some years back with only 5 ip phones using 2 bri with an aastra system. Turned out the local isdn was causing the problem, so we were forced to put in digital.

Its going to have as many problems as splicecom soon at this rate. Although I'd like to think splicecom are on their first stable realise by now..... :-S

Unfortunately we dont always get the option of planning the install as we provide support for resellers who have already made the mistakes by the time it gets to us.

We have had several problems with 1616s in our setup, we get crackling/volume issues on outgoing calls... we also get interferance/robot sounds on some handsets as soon as you pickup the reciever!

I've found that all of these issues can usually be solved (temporarily) by unplugging the phones and plugging them back in again.

Our system unit is a 406v2 and we have HP Procurve 3500yl 24 port switches.

We have had a suggesstion that some of the issues could be related to call recording, however I'm starting to think some of the 1616 units could also be bad?

The phones are on a seperate VLAN and we've looked at the network in depth and cannot see any problems.

We get several complaints of bad lines every day now and at least one 1616 per day requires a re-boot to solve a "robot distortion" issue.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

9 times out of 10 when these issues come up call recording is involved. From what I hear it has always caused issues and avaya have never done anything about it.

I think in our particular cases its a bad mix of call recording and cheap nasty 1616 handsets. I don't think there is any resolution out there to be had........

Try this:

1 For the VCM settings:
-Set Nonlinear Processor Mode to Disabled.
-Set NLP Comfort Noise Ceiling to -55

2 In NO User ---> source number put the below string
CONFERENCE_DSP_TX_GAIN=-4

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

honey, i fried the IP Office !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back