Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4.2(17) 1616 Phones Crackling Intermittently

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidshokk

Technical User
Jan 31, 2007
GB

Hi

Getting intermittent crackling on IP500 on 4.2(17) with 1616 handsets.

No alarms showing in SSA and no ISDN errors in the monitor trace that I can see.

Any ideas on my next move?

I have an engineer onsite with an analogue handset and the voice quality is fine. from the IP handsets I can hear my voice echoing and there is crackling noise.

Was going to disable the call recording and do some more tests but is there anything else I can try??

Have checked that the ports on the 3com switch are set to 100meg. They were set to auto but are now 100. no improvement.

Constant faint crackling and after a while the echo comes in.

Do you have a 56/4610 you can test with? I am not a big fan of the 1600's as they are built to quite a low standard :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

Engineer doesnt currently have a 56xx with him.

Have disabled call recording and voicemail and retested and it sounds better from my end but the engineer can still hear whooshing noises, especially when the person on the other end speaks.

Established that calls between internal phones have no call quality issues.

They are using 3 x BRIs and each are set to Network for clock quality. is it worth changing 2 to fallback?

I have an issue with their cabling as they arent using patch panels. They have the wallports cabled directly back to the 3com switch that the phone system is connected to.

Guess the next step is to get a 5610 handset there then?!

They are using 3 x BRIs and each are set to Network for clock quality. is it worth changing 2 to fallback?"

Not really, you should have 1 Network, 1 Fallback and 1 unsuitable.

I would say to test with a 5610 before digging much deeper, if it's the cabling causing issues SSA would show some info regading dropped packets, excessive delay and jitter etc... did you look at that? :)

Yeah I looked at that and there are no alarms. However the system is on 4.2(17 and the SSA is latest version 5. Will the IPO still send out these alarms/info on 4.217) ?

Sounds like a bad VCM card to me.
Internal does not use a VCM channel but external do.
If you have a test sip account try that with the same codec.
Incoming should not need a VCM channel if the codec is the same.
Of course you need a sip trunk license.

ACS IP Office
APSS IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
APSS UC
ACA - Voice Services Management

Best way is to actually watch the call real-time and see the jitter/delay stats live, SSA alarms have never been and are still not reliable enough for fault diagnosis :)

Customer just called to say that the noise is back despite us being onsite friday, changing duplex on switch and 46xx settings file, and coming away satisfied that it is as good as it will get given cabling condition and the fact they are using 1616 handsets.

I was asked to call back on their o0870 number and ive never heard such bad noise on the line. It was an extremely loud brrrrrrrrrrr noise over the top of the users voice.

I am currently getting the lines tested but the user informs me it doesnt happen on every call on every handset and it can be a different handset each time a problem occurs. At the time the noise was present other handsets werent experiencing any problems.

As they are using a Quad BRI it may be the lines but otherwise is there anything else I can do?!

just a couple of suggestions:

Take the 3com switch out of the loop and test the quality.

Also, try switching the PBX lan ports, i.e. swap IPs around so the phones register to the 2ndport instead.

Move the vcm card to a diferent slot.

Move the bri card, if it's on the vcm put it on a different card (i guess you might not have 1 but put in a combo or 2 analogue).

make sure both the 3com switch and IPO are connected to a UPS or clean power supply.

Make sure your ground is good, remove it if you have to (temporarily of course!)

if you don't have a vlan or seperate network for the ip phones make sure you are at least on a different subnet.

hope it helps!

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

We have been back to site and moved the BRI/VCM card to different slots in different variations and the issue with calls dropping off seems to have stopped (could see them hitting system but went dead)

The issue with crackling is still there. 1616 to 1616 is fine internally but 1616 to outside world is terrible quality. We have DS handsets onsite now that are fine when calling out so wont be the lines. The DS handsets are ok either through their cabling or direct to IP500.
System status is showing a 1000ms+ round trip delay on calls to the 1616 handsets which may indicate a network issue however wouldnt this be the case for internal calls too??

We did swap the VCM card out temporarily last week but we didnt experience any issues (during the testing) so it was removed.

I guess the finger is being pointed at the VCM card? or the IP500 itself?

We did swap the VCM card out temporarily last week but we didnt experience any issues (during the testing) so it was removed." Do you mean you took it to your own/test kit and tested it but heard nothing? Did you put a new one in the custmoers system, if so how was it then? If the issue remained it's the IP Office/backplane in the system :)

I didnt explain that proper :)

The customer has a VCM 32. We (due to available stock) took a VCM64, tested it and didnt experience any issues and it was no better or worse than their original one so we removed it and put theirs back in.

Since leaving they say the issue is still present (despite us not experiencing any problems onsite) so we are thinking we need to permanantly replace the VCM card as it seems to be the issue. Either that or its the main unit.

Then i would replace both!
Going back again and again does not convince the customer of your knowledge :)
Then take it back to the shop and test,test and test again until you found the problem (if it is gone after the swap)

ACS IP Office
APSS IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
APSS UC
ACA - Voice Services Management

Unit has now been swapped out but the crackling/echo is still there.

Hoping they will be up for taking on DS phones permanently!

It has to be something that hasn't been swapped then, must be some of their network equipment, prove what it is then hit them with a bill for all the engineering time and equipment swapped :)

ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications

Hi Guys
Having the same problem on 1616 & 1608 phones on a new install. Have tried all of the above also used some 9620 phones which made the noise echo less.This customer has a modern structured cabling network so I put the IP500,VMPro with Contact Store and 6 IP phones on their own seperate network with a new 100m 24way POE switch but still got noise, In telephony changed the settings to 711 which did help matters.The customer is running 16 lines of ISDN on a PRI we did notice a difference when we moved the VM PC beside the IP500 it used to be about 100 metres away. Running on V6.0.8 customer would like to insert equipment into me.

Tom, The DS handsets are absolutely fine. As are analogue. The DS handsets are currently running through their shonky cabling too.

jonjoeni, Maybe I'll stop them paying out to improve their network then and convince them to get digital! :-S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back