Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4.2(17) 1616 Phones Crackling Intermittently

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidshokk

Technical User
Jan 31, 2007
GB

Hi

Getting intermittent crackling on IP500 on 4.2(17) with 1616 handsets.

No alarms showing in SSA and no ISDN errors in the monitor trace that I can see.

Any ideas on my next move?

Unfortunately this is the problem with issues on IP phones/systems......you need to prove to the manufacturer in this case Avaya that the problem is without any shadow of doubt that it is the system/software they have supplied that is at fault, this is extremely difficult to do and will often involve going to great expense having thorough newtwork evaluations done and/or replacing network equipment. And if you do manage to prove it you stand no chance of recouping those costs and they could then also dispute the results of your testing and then you are right back at square one. Obviously sometimes they do hold their hands up to some issues and some are network related but others will never be resolved :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

Andy, the settings i posted above is a solution for problems with call recording and bad sound on ip phones.
So i guess it should be tried before doing anything else.

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

honey, i fried the IP Office !!!

tlpeter, These settings were already provided at the top of this thread and sadly didnt work for me. I agree he should try these though, however I would have hoped he already has as its already been mentioned ;-)

That wasn't a response to your post, just a general thing for all IP system faults i.e they are a pain to troubleshoot/resolve, I think you already suggested that anyway but I guess you were just reiterating the point :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

For the record, I have been in a position to prove that IP Office software was at fault in causing issues with calls breaking up over IP links (SCN). In the end I did get compensation from Avaya and they did rewrite the software to overcome the problem. If you can prove it, and you are determined, it can be done.

Toxic.

Wow, you must have really dug your heels in. In the past I have had a hard time getting them to admit to issues that appear on the caveats page already/the next day :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

Good work, What version private build did you get?

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

Our management isn't interested in making that commitment to get this problem solved. They would much rather put money into a better phone system. What would somebody suggest as a good alternative to an IP500 for an office of 50+ people? Secondarily, is anyone interested in buying an IP500 for an office of 50+? [wink]

I will give you €100 for it
Then i sell it for €2000 :)

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

honey, i fried the IP Office !!!

I'll swap it for my better IP406....:)

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

Replace some with 5610 phones ( eBay? ) and see if these have issues. If not > goto Avaya, if yes > goto your BP.

I don't think I saw this approach in the thread...If you have Clocking on 2 PRIs set to Network, then you will get crackling on external calls. The fix is to set only one PRI to Network and set all others to Fallback or Unsuitable. I have not used BRI on an IP Office since I am in the US; however, it looks like you can set Clocking for each BRI under the Line tab.

Good luck,
Frank

BAS1234,
sorry for the delay in replying to your post. The fault was with Phone Manager. There was a massive issue with the way phone manager polled the voicemail server prior to phone manager version 4.1.1706.0. essentially it created that much network traffic that it caused calls across an IP link to break up completely. The Above version of Phone Manager was amended to stop fix the problem.

Toxic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back