Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Your favourate Spoonerisms? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairlessupportmonkey

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2009
NZ
Mine are a little crass - but that just reflects my stupid sense of humour - but lets hear some from the more enlightened amongst us.

Blame Radio 4 for my new found interest in this subject. Its actually an interesting test for dyslexia. People with the condition cant move the first two letters from the two words around in their heads, but can say it when seen it written.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

I'll offer a lament - "wasn't that a shirty dame?", a Hank Williams Jr song - "your heatin' chart", a morsel of food - "that'll keep the gnats from roaring" and an alleged utterance by the man himself - "the shoving leopard of his flock".

(I think the late Kenny Everett's female actor character, first name Cupid, is beyond acceptability here.)

soi là, soi carré

You have tasted two worms; leave by the town drain
and
A well boiled icicle

Supposedly, many of his phrases were actually coined by students.

I have heard that he accidently spilt a salt cellar and poured wine on it which is a whole new dimension to Spoonerisms

"If it could have gone wrong earlier and it didn't, it ultimately would have been beneficial for it to have." : Murphy's Ultimate Corollary

When headed to the bathroom, I'll often say, "I'm going to shake a tower". Or sometimes I have to "Go shake a t%#".

[bigsmile]

So, you think you're a fart smeller?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Heh, one of my favorite tongue twisters to have a kid try is this...

One smart fellow, he felt smart.
Two smart fellows, they felt smart.
Three smart fellows, they all felt smart.

Get a bunch of kids trying to say that, and it's hours of laughter! Guaranteed fun!

[bigsmile]

we used to say "Bucken Fastard" at high school. Teacher would be - "What!?" I would say - !ah but we didnt swear!!!"

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Although I had heard of Spoonerisms, I didn't know their exact nature.

As it turns out, I used these ALL OF THE TIME when reading to my kids.

There was one book in particular. I Love Boats (I Bove Loats)

e.g.
I bove the bobster loat wobbing on the baves

The kids would scream at me to read it right and instead I would get them to correct me. All of my kids were reading grade six level by the time they were in Grade one.

My eldest could read the Boynton Book "But not the Hippopotamus" by the time he was 2 1/2.

"A Hat and 2 Cats were trying on Rats, but not the hittotopamus"

Spoonerisms worked great for me as an educational tool. Until now though, I did not know that what I was doing had a name.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

All goys and birls should learn to eat keys and parrots. If they don't learn early, it's better nate than lever.
Then, overheard at a wedding:
Confused Usher said:
Mardon me Padam...You are occupewing the wrong pie. May I sew you to another sheet?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

BTW, Hairless, I've been ruminating over this question: When "Your favourate Spoonerisms", how many calories was it? <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

I noticed Favourate too but dismissed it as I am so often wrong about these things.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

LOL - I saw that too - but no edit feature. LOL - Wrong forum to be making mistakes like that ;-)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Decades ago when I worked as a DJ at a local radio station, one of my fellow DJs did a "spoonerism" of sort. He thought about saying, "Let's take a look out the Window at the weather." He meant to say, "Let's take a peak out the Window at the weather." What he said on air was, "Let's take a leak out the Window at the weather."

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

SantaMufasa mentioned "...it's better nate than lever". That's the punchline of a very long shaggy dog story joke I heard once. Something about a very large object that had to be moved. They kept trying larger and larger levers to try to move it. Finally, they got the local Giant named Nate, who moved it easily. And the moral of the story is, better Nate than lever.

Ba-dump-bump!

[bigsmile]

James said:
Let's take a peak out the Window...
I presume that it was a very large window...I'd like to take a peek at that window myself. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Too many hours working and not enough sleep. That's my excuse. I'm tired of the 12+ hour work days.

SamBones reminds me of the story of Little Bunny Foo Foo and the Good Fairy. The moral is, "Hare today, Goon tomorrow." [small]Is that really a spoonerism?[/small]

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Nope. [smile]

[santa]Mufasa
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Ben said:
a forkerism...[wink]
Whoa...how did that make it past the censors?

[santa]Mufasa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back