Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro Startup Help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

volv

Technical User
Sep 21, 2003
GB
Hi Guys

I have windows XP installed on a laptop and after a program i put on it corrupted the machine i reinstalled windows XP which now works fine, however, there are now two problems.

1) I have three menus when you first boot up to choose from, ie

Microsoft XP Professional
Microsoft Windows
Microsoft XP Professional Setup

Firstly, how do i get rid of the bottom option as on bootup this is the default one and it tries to get into this very quickly, which is a real pain !!

2) I normally log onto a Windows 2000 domain and it seems to take ages to log onto the network , is there any parameter/setting that i can check to see if i can speed this up.

A1. right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery - Settings. Edit the boot.ini file in the top box. You can eliminate entries, and set the timer interval.

A2. See the FAQ here faq779-4017

Thanks very much for these answers, they have both provided me with exactly what i need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back