Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp networking without using wizard 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gusset

Technical User
Mar 19, 2002
GB
if you know of an internet site that could give me the basics, please would you point me to it? ...thanks

i don't know much about networking but i know that my two computers are not talking to each other!

i don't want to use the network wizard because 1. i want to do things for myself and to learn from this and 2. i have tried the wizard on several computers, with only unhelpful error messages to show for my efforts (it tells me to try again with different settings, but doesn't say what settings i might change).

i know it ought to be easy to network two xp computers.

all i have done so far is to give them similar IP addresses : A has 192.168.0.1 and B has 192.168.0.2 ... i gave them identical subnets, i.e. 255.255.255.0.

i'm not sure what else i need to do. the internet has proved unhelpful so far, because all the sites assume that the wizard works.

thanks again

gusset

. Netbios over TCP/IP enabled on both machines
. Full username and password logons, both machines
. Users of computer A added as user on Computer B, and vice-versa
. When you create the shares, give permission to the Group "Everyone"

is that all? but the wizard takes ages to run! surely it is also making coffee, at least?

gusset

I am not at all technical but fortunately found this thread when my Gateway Desktop PC suddenly stopped accessing the internet through my wireless router. Gateway Tech Support could not help nor could Linksys. I kept seeing that 1394 adapter and tried several times to uninstall it but it kept coming back. I felt it had to be part of the problem because Gateway said I had no such adapter and I knew I had not added it.
I had in fact tried to set up a home network using the wizard but it was several weeks ago - worked for a day or two then stopped so initially I thought it was too far in the past to matter. Now, thanks to your help, I have uninstalled the 1394 but I am still seeing "Network Cable unplugged" on the Gateway Computer. I have 2 other machines accessing the internet through the router with no problems so I know it is not my cable modem or my router. I am willing to forgo the network idea if need be. Can anyone help? Thanks!

On the problem machine,

. Under Network Properties, delete any 1394 bridge, and disable all other network connections;
. Use Device Manager and disable any 1394 device shown. Make certain you View, Show hidden devices, and disable under Ports, Firewire devices, Network Adapters any mention of a 1394 device, and the Other catagory.
. Reboot. Then run this utility: . Reconfigure your ethernet adapter for your router, usually "obtain an IP address automaticly."

good luck! let us know what happens...

gusset

Thanks so much for your (very fast) response! However, I'm afraid I'm still not there...and now a new twist. I deleted all mention of 1394. Under Network Connections now all I have is the single connection (with the red X and cable unplugged message). I rebooted, ran the utility recommended, and rebooted again. Network connection TCP/IP properties are set to Obtain IP adddress automatically.

Unfortunately I am still getting the network cable is unplugged message. Called Gateway again and they had me take the router out of the loop and connect directly to cable modem. Then had me ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. I can get to internet as long as the router is not in the mix. As soon as I plug into the router lights go out on the card and the message comes up.

However, I still have those other two machines working with the router with no problem. So I am falling between the cracks of Gateway and Linksys support - each one says it is the other's issue. What do you think? Perhaps I should just buy a new router from Gateway :)

You are using, I am guessing, a cross-over cable. Either plug into the Uplink on the router, or use a straight-thru cable.

I believe I am using a straight through cable (colors on both ends are identical). just in case though I switcehd to one of the cables that was working on the other machine. That did not work so I plugged that into the uplink on the router. Still can't connect. Thanks for your help though!

Turns out the network card was apparently bad. Linksys tried to ping the router and indicated that was the case. Bought a new card today and all is well. Thanks again for your help and suggestions!

Read this post and was wondering if problem was resolved. I have the same problem and haven't had any luck fixing it.
Linksys wireless router on main machine, PCI adapter on 2nd. computer. Have removed 1394 adapters as mention in thread. Network still not communicating with each other. Diagnostis says address can't be pinged, yet they can be pinged at dos prompt.

Any ideas??

Bob

gusset (TechnicalUser) Sep 17, 2003
well, i bought a wireless router. the rest of the kit hasn't arrived yet, so its a wired network at the moment.....but at least its no longer a notwork!

router was a very good price on ebay - $50. i strongly recommend this option for others trying to network. i don't need to worry about the ICS problem any more. but i do need to worry about network security. fortunately, this will be well documented, unlike the ICS.

however, i can't see the shared folders of the (old) slave from the (old) host. the error message is still "SlaveComputer is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact your administrator... logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer".

funny thing is, as i was running various network wizards, the situation reversed itself - i could see the shared folders of the (old) slave from the (old) host but no longer the other way around. in trying to replicate what i did, i re-reversed the situation, so it is back to what it was before...tantalising.

i sure wish i knew what the wizard did so that i could try each of the steps in isolation.

any ideas?

thanks,

gusset

Repair the Winsock service on both machines, and give it a try again.

With XP you have a choice as to whether to enable or disable "Simple File Sharing" by examining Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, and scrolling to one of the last entries.

See if any of the following helps, after the repair of the Winsock service on all machines:

Simple File Sharing--Disabled

Simple File Sharing--Enabled

1Wingnut - if you were asking how my problem panned out, i have left it owing to other commitments. when i understand it, i'll post the answer. i know that lots of people are interested in this topic

gusset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back