Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PAYING FOR USING WINDOWS 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

moveit

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
GB
I am now forced to use Windows 10 with 7 being stopped in January. Someone I know has said that to register the serial number it will cost £100. This does not seem correct to me but I do not want to load it and be caught for this charge. Can you please enlighten me? Also I understand there is a built in section that allows Windows 10 to look and work like windows 7. Is this correct?

@gbaughma
And what about windows 2000? Was it good or bad ?

I loved 2000. I found it most stable and easy to use.

Next version of Windows will be taking the best of Windows CE, Windows ME and Windows NT and will be called Windows CEMENT.

Re: Windows 2000

Servers weren't in that list.... NT, 2000, 2003, even 2016 all good. :)

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Ah but Greg, Windows 2000 Professional was a desktop product, not a server product

One could argue that W2K Pro was a separate production from the W9x products. It wasn't until XP that W2K was combined into one product. Or was it Vista? I can't remember now.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

W9x was based on MS DOS and it used FAT filesystem.
Windows 2000 was different, based on Windows NT and it used NTFS filesystem.

I had forgotten about NT. We used NT, then W2K before moving to XP. Boy, that was a long time ago but, then again, I cut my teeth on IBM 360 architecture using Hollerith code.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Yes, long time ago. At that time, I was a beginner administrator of a small network of department employees at an university. We had Windows NT4.0 server and several desktop versions: Windows 3.1, Windows 95 and Windows 98. Then I got the new Windows 2000 machine and it was really outstanding good and stable OS.

I started with an Amstrad 1512 5" floppy disks to start it up. My friend eventually put a 100mg hard drive in it to make it easier to start up. He said that would last me for years! Things have changed and come a long way since I started on computers. I have found all your comments interesting regarding the various OS systems. I doubt not in my time but it would be nice to just think what you want and the computer does it. I expect some of you will see that happen.

Well, if we're going down the nostalgia road....

I started on a TI learning module. Programmed in Binary. My first computer (with a keyboard) was a Radio Shack Color Computer 2.

I've been on the Internet since 1986... ran a multi-line BBS, moderated an AOL chat system, and have written software for Tandy, Pitney Bowes, and numerous health care facilities. :)

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

£100 for Windows 10 ?
No, just get a license via eBay - certainly not £100

How can you tell if it is genuine? Members on this site over the years have warned about buying different OS sytems on eBay due to illegal copies.

>No, just get a license via eBay

Why go to eBay if it is still free direct from Microsoft via the links we have provided above?

I now have a copy. It was just that I thought I would mention the illegal copies that can be on eBay. I am waiting to get a new SSD then load the Windows 10. I have enjoyed reading the memory lane bit. We all have our favorite OS systems. Cannot imagine what the next 20 or so years will bring in the computing world. Not that I shall be here to see it. I could be looking down and seeing the same comments made that we are having now.

Again thank you all for your interesting post replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back