Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home Installation CD Startup Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortolaChris

Technical User
Jan 13, 2002
GB
A friend's pc has crashed and returned the message "Windows couldn't start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system"
If he presses F8 he gets to the Windows Advanced Options Menu - any other key and he gets the original "Windows couldn't start..."
All the Advanced Options available - Restart in Safe Mode, Restart in Safe Mode with networks etc - reboot the pc but return the "Windows couldn't start etc" screen unless he presses F8 when he gets back to the Advanced Options menu.
He has got his XP installation cd can we reboot off this? How do we do that as whatever we seem to get us to either of the two screens referred to above.
I've looked at the Windows support site but can't get to the recovery console referred to.
Please help us - you are our only hope!

you can boot off of the cd. Just check the bios settings for the boot order. If you want to boot of the cd, then make sure that the cdrom is first in the boot order.

Thank you both for your responses - I should have explained that I am a complete dunce when it comes to operating systems!
Craigey - is there a way I can get to the bios to make the amends you suggest? Please don't be wary of insulting my intelligence by stating the obvious - I really do know nothing.
Greg - is the recovery console the same as the Windows Advanced Optiuons Menu? If not how do I get to it? I have looked at microsoft site with no luck.
Thank you both for your help
Chris

To get into the BIOS you normally have to press the Del key just after switching on your machine. You will see the system doing some tesks on your memory etc and on that screen it should say something like press Del to enter setup.

To start the recovery console take a look at
If you need the boot disks than take a look at
Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Brilliant!
Thank you both ever so much - it's working again.
Thanks again
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back