Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP auto-rebooting - anyone have any ideas why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinken

Technical User
Aug 26, 2002
US
I'm troubleshooting for a client whose computer (Compaq Presario 6000) started a crash/reboot cycle around the same time she upgraded to XP SP2. It doesn't reboot when just sitting there, only when she's actually working in an application. It doesn't seem to be application specific, and has occurred when browsing (IE6) or running a full scan with Norton Anti-Virus, though not limited to this.

I've done the usual (run 3 different anti-spyware apps, unchecked many startup apps in MSCONFIG, checked Task Manager (no errors or warnings), SIGVERIF = all drivers are signed, and so forth), but the machine still crashes/reboots. The machine will boot and run for a while, sometimes several hours, until she is working on some app or another, and then (not immediately) when she's in the middle of something...Dum De Dum Dum...crash/reboot.

I don't expect anyone to diagnose this based on the little info here, but crashing & rebooting doesn't seem to be very common in XP (whereas it was prolific in Win9x) so I was wondering if anyone has come across this behavior and what they did about it.

Thanks,

S

It is possible that the setting "System Failure" is set to automatically restart. To check this right click my computer, click on advanced, click on Settings in the Startup and Recovery section. Under System Failure uncheck automatically restart. Also check the event viewer to see if it has errors. To get to the event viewer
go to control panel | performance and maintenance | Administrative Tools (if you are not running Control Panel in classic view ). If you are running in classic view click Administrative Tools and then Event Viewer.

I hope this helps
Art

Also you can get to the event viewer by typing into the run box eventvwr.msc.

Sounds like it may be overheating.
Open the case and blow out any dust buildup in the CPU heatsink, and make sure the fans are all working.

J741 has made a valid point. You can also download Motherboard Monitor 5.3.7.0 here

Install this on the client's computer, update the Mobo list, Choose the Motherboard and reboot when it prompts you. Run the program when you start the computer and it will put a monitor in the systray. To test to see if the CPU is heating up at a rapid rate, run a high CPU usage program. I find Nortons Scan or Adaware scans to be great for this because they use tons of CPU Processing. The program also has a mode where you can view a gauge view that shows the temp and the fan speeds. To view this dashboard just right click on the icon in the systray and choose dashboard.

Good Luck
Art

I am having a similar issue. In my case its happening more frequently i.e. every 20 - 25 minutes. While working on anything is just restarts the computer. Have checked the heat monitor by runnning the comp all night on the BOIS Setup screen that displays the temperature. It does not go higher than 50 degrees C. On restarting the XP displays this in the event viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 06/10/2004
Time: 01:16:03
User: N/A
Description:
Error code 1000007f, parameter1 0000000d, parameter2
00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

System is P4E 3.2 GHz, 512 DDR RAM and windows XP Pro SP2.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hmmm... I have run a diagnostic tool on RAM (memtest) and its all OK.. have tried upgrading BIOS and graphic accelerator card drivers. Have also even tried running motherboard monitor ..there are no issues with temperature control.

The only other thing I can think of are:

- I have got 300W power supply with P4E 2.3GHZ. Would this cause any such issue
- Are there any diagnostics utilities like memtest for RAM that could actually go and verify that everything is OK with it

Kaps.

Have also tried 400W PSU without any luck. Tried another HDD to eliminate that possibility as well. When i try installing W2K server using boot disk, it comes up with this same error plus this info: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back