Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wish List

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgiw

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2008
US
I was wondering how long you've been in Teleco?

I've been asked to give some personal goals that would benefit the org that I am currently working at. I've been here since late 2007 and I am not sure what I want to say exactly.

I've been in teleco myself for over 15 years. I am a Teleco manager and although a personal goal would be to make more money, I dont think this would benefit the org.

I am racking my brain for some ideals like a PDA rollout to all upper management/staff with instant intranet email by 2010 and email/voicemail thru outlook in 2011, but I want to be alittle more creative.

What's your wish list?

Thanks.

G

Instead of a personal goal of "make more money", how about "learning new technologies, that will better the direction of the company in a positive manner"? The way I look at it, if you learn the new technologies, you'll be more of an asset to the company, which usuallymeans more money. It gives the company you work for the "impression" you want to grow with them.

Thanks, tfg13. Good thinking. I'll take that one. I'm all about new techologies and have gathered alot of them over my 15+ years. The other firm I was with wasn't very technical minded which meant I learned, tried to propose, and was usually shot down my manager because was a stick in the mud herself and wouldn't back me.

Now that I can back myself, we'll see.

Thanks again.

G

I second the notion of "learning new technologies" as a goal. The trick is to realize that you can never "arrive"... there will always be room for improvement. Meet with some of your key system users, find out what bugs them. Sometimes people don't bring it up because they've never realized it could be better. Also look for the things that bug you. Find a way to solve the problem permanently (or at least alleviate some of the burden).

Make a concerted effort at cost savings. That will get some people thinking, and most places tend to have some bloat if you know where to look for it. I just spent the last month cutting our paper usage in half. I'm re-examining the need to have Windows server running on my smaller servers, replacing it with either a Plain XP install or Linux, if I can. No immediate benefits, but down the road I'll be saving money.

Even in your own department, find the system that everyone *hates* to maintain. That "dread" that people feel when they have to work on the thing they hate usually makes it the least efficient system because nobody takes the time to learn it intimately. Become an expert on it and see if you can make an improvement to the system that way.

Are your users well-trained on computer matters? Could you offer them a class, maybe once a month on a Friday, that covers MSExcel tips and tricks? I actually started creating a series of training classes for my users, everything from basic hardware (how to plug in the monitor, keyboard/mouse, speakers, etc) through how to buy a computer without getting ripped off (we held that class right before Christmas).

If you truly want to benefit the company, there are lots of ways to do it.

Ben
Windows isn't the answer; it's the question. NO is the answer.

Thanks, Ben for your insights.

I appreciate it.

G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back